[QUOTE=XJETGIRLX]
That’s supposed to make me feel what, exactly? Motherhood does not automatically confer sainthood or respect. Any two yahoos with the right equipment can have a kid.
I didn’t see any disrespect for the institution of motherhood in that thread, just annoyance at people who choose to get pregnant then expect the rest of the world to accommodate them. The contempt isn’t towards the kids, but the self-absorbed parents.
I’m not saying this applies to all parents, but having a kid doesn’t remove you from the realm of the rest of us. It doesn’t automatically make you more respected, or more deserving of anything. It just makes you people who are going to have a kid.
[/QUOTE]
Look, it’s safe to say that a great number of people with… I don’t know, broken legs, broke said legs because of their choices. But I’m still not going to say “Dude, if you’d stayed home last weekend, your leg would not be broken. Instead, you went skiing. You made your bed, now lie in it.” If Dude is on crutches, Dude is getting my seat, because it might be hard for Dude to stand.
A visibly pregnant woman is carrying anything from twenty to fifty pounds of excess weight right in front of them. This is not always the easiest thing to do. So yes, they’ll be getting my seat as well. It’s simple politeness, and it has nothing to do with me reverencing the Sacred Womb, Seat of All Female Virtues. If I were carrying that weight in front of me, I’d probably want to sit down too. Hence, the giving up of the seat.
It’s not about entitlement or reverence. It’s just “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” If I was tired, or injured, or carrying something really freaking heavy, I would rather sit down than stand up. So if I see someone else in that situation, I will let them sit. It doesn’t cost me much energy, and if it gets a smile or a look of relief or a good response, that’s icing on the cake.
And anyway, how does anyone deserve a seat on the train in the first place? “I was here first?” Odds are you got on the train when you did because it was convenient to you. Now the pregnant lady is getting on the train when it’s convenient to her. It’s not a question of merit. And as far as I can tell, there aren’t special seats reserved for the healers of the sick, caretakers of the poor, and rescuers of the helpless. There are, however, a few reserved for people who may be uncomfortable standing for long periods of time. I think pregnancy qualifies someone for that honor.