[QUOTE=amijane]
Thing is, I was really just trying to explain to parents how things can appear from a childfree perspective, not justify people acting like arseholes. Name calling can seldom be justified, in my experience. But denying that society congratulates couples for reproducing when that was certainly not always the responsible choice for that couple, isn’t exactly realistic. Simply put, parenthood is applauded, childlessness is not, for whatever reasons on either side. Both states exist in the main due to a binary choice: to reproduce or not - why should state be more valued than the other? That’s how it feels to be childfree; to be valued less than parents, any parents, when considering recognition/tacit approval offered to them and not us. And it does feel “them and us” sometimes, which is a great shame. To not be a parent is to be excluded from a big club that encompasses the majority of adults in the world, as far as I’m aware.
[/QUOTE]
I agree that the “them and us” mentality is sad and does no one any good.
Both sides are guilty of overcompensating, and defensiveness. Most people are when it comes to their life choices, and especially to their children. On the other hand, I sometimes feel inferior to people who find great satisfaction in their careers, as I have a good job but not one that brings me any recognition or status, as I chose to spend most of my attention and time on my kid. I think everyone looks at the other side and says “what if” and for some people that breeds defensiveness or envy.
We all need to find fulfillment in something. Maybe the ‘breeders’ are just looking for that fulfillment in the only way they think they can get it. The few people I know who had lots of kids just because they could, were not the ones with lots of options open to them, you know what I mean? If you don’t think you are going to amount to much in life on your own, maybe you think having kids is the only way to feel needed. It’s sad really. I think most people’s jerkishness toward the other side is their own need to justify their lives to themselves.