[QUOTE=amijane]
Firstly, in employment law over here, female parents get to keep all the benefits of having a career while on maternity leave.
[/QUOTE]
Great. It’s good for the employee and the employer.
Of course I am not saying that. Honestly, what the hell are you talking about? Did you read my post past the first word? When did I say anything that amounted to “mothers don’t get any breaks”?
They are where I’m from. Petition your government for better parental leave rules. Or talk to your employer; my employer gives us more than we’re legally entitled to because they know it makes good business sense.
But in any case, this has zippo to do with anything I wrote.
You don’t get recognition for things you choose not to do. You get recognition for things you do. Honestly, how immature does someone have to be to whine and bitch that they want prizes and breaks for things they didn’t do? Saying that you want recognition for not having children is like saying you want recognition for not becoming a lawyer. That was a choice, right? You chose not to become a lawyer. I chose not to become a journalist. Why would you or I get “credit” for that?
You have one life and a finite amount of time in which to accomplish things. You get credit for, and derive utility from, the things you actually accomplish. If you don’t have kids, well, you have more time to do other things that might get you the accolades and kudos you seem to want. Some things get more credit than others; for instance, doctors get more credit than truck drivers for their career choice. You’re a grownup, you pick your own path.
Of course not, because that would be fucking retarded. It would be like giving people cards for not graduating from a school this year. We truly are living in a society too obsessed with personal entitlements when people seriously say they should be recognized for, literally, nothing.
You sound like the Mad Hatter, going on and on about unbirthdays. Happy unbirthday, but don’t expect any sane person to care. You don’t deserve something for nothing.
I see compact car spaces all the time. Look harder. I travel everywhere in North America and I’m seeing “Compact only” spaces more and more.
But hey, if you don’t like giant vehicles, I suggest you rethink whether this has anything to do with kids; it seems to be gigantic vehicles are just as commonplace among the “Child-free” as they are among parents. I can’t begin to tell you how many dorks I see in massive F350’s and Ford Expeditions who clearly just bought them to look cool.
Dogs aren’t as important as people. Sorry, I love dogs, but giving someone a year’s leave to take care of a dog is stupid. There’s no reason for an employer to do that. There IS a reason to give maternity leave; because it substantially increases the likelihood the employee will be retained in the long term, thereby increasing long term productivity. That’s why my employer tops up maternity leave pay; it’s economically worth it to give that leave. Sane people do not quit to take care of dogs. People who don’t get maternity leave quite frequently, by necessity, quit to care for children.
Children, as much as some would like to forget it, are human beings, and it is right and correct that we should account for their needs in the way we construct our cities, homes, businesses and societies, especially given the fact that 100% of all humans who have ever lived, including you, spend part of their lives as children. They are as deserving of accomodation as anyone else. Giving parents a few breaks is really about accomodating the needs of children, and it is right that we do this, just as we accomodate the needs of adults.
Dogs are animals and exist to serve our purposes and “deserve” nothing except humane treatment.
I won’t, and I didn’t. You do not deserve to have your “Child free” status validated at all. You don’t deserve something for doing nothing. You deserve to be rewarded for what you actually do. Do you work? Well, you get a paycheck. Congratulations. If you do charity work you deserve some appreciation for that. If you climb Mount Everest, I think you rightfully should brag a little. But you do not deserve any credit for choosing NOT to climb Everest, do charity work, or forego a particular career.
Which is preposterous. Are YOU a burden on the state? If not, what made your parents different? The great majority of people are, over the course of their lives, a positive contributor for the economy and society as a whole. The idea that not having kids is “a million times more valid” in any objective sense than having them is provably absurd. If it’s just YOUR opinion, well, great; then you get credit from yourself. Go ahead and slap yourself on the back, tell yourself you’ve made the right choice. But why should anyone else care?