[QUOTE=starfishfillet]
I agree that giving up your seat to a pregnant woman is a nice and/or courteous thing to do. What I disagree with is the moral imperative to do so, the posters in IMHO who would be “sickened” if I did not give up my seat, the insistence of the OP that being pregnant is a condition that demands some extra consideration or respect.
And I do use “breeder” as a derogative, because I don’t like the hubris of the type of people who push out child after child for no discernible reason. It’s used in my circles as a term referring to women with a whole brood of babies, a whole mess of screaming faces and limbs, dragged through public spaces in an orgy of parental mismanagement and tired apathy. One pregnant woman or a capable mother with a well-behaved child or two is not a “breeder”. YMMV.
[/QUOTE]
You know, I notice your railing of breeders seem to be focused on women. I realize pregancy is the topic of discussion, but I think women sometimes get the brunt end of the stick when it comes to blaming parents.
IMHO, although a woman who has lots of children with no means of support is sickening, the man who “sows his seed” in many places and does not have the ability to raise them is just as bad, and in some ways worse, because he does not bear any responsibility.
My husband told me a story once when he was a case manager. A young man came in his office to add his children to the visiting list and the “mother of child”. I can’t remember exactly how many, but I think it was 11 and 7 different mothers. He was 20 years old. He wore it like a badge of honor. To add insult to injury, every one of the children had extremely similar names. It was almost like a game to him. All the boys were named after him and the girls had names like (not the real ones, but a similar pattern)
Tami, bami, sami, fami, yami, rami, thami etc…
It was sickening.
Hubby said that in all his career, he has never struck one of his wards. He has had shit thrown at him, piss thrown at him, he was spit on, he had difficult cell extractions where his vision was blinded by pepper spray and he had to groundfight against a man covered in feces (to make him more slick), BUT, he said out of all of these people he has had to deal with, that young, arrogant piece of irresponsible shit was the one he would have loved to hit.