First, let me start by saying that I would always offer a seat to a visibly pregnant woman on a bus or train if I noticed her. Second, let me say that I have the greatest respect in the world for people who try like crazy to be good parents, and the recognition of the incredible amount of hard work, expense, and general self-sacrifice necessary to be a good parent was the primary reason why I chose not to have children.
But to assume these qualities in a person whose belly is swelling and therefore accord her some degree of special respect? No. Consideration? Absolutely. From what I understand, it’s very hard on the back to carry that extra weight in front, and so, unless I had a compelling reason not to offer my seat (such as right now, when standing for any length of time is bringing on dizzy spells - but I’d probably ask my neighbor if s/he could offer a seat, explaining why I couldn’t easily do so myself), I would always offer my seat to a pregnant woman.
But the fact of being pregnant does not carry with it the fact of then making the sacrifices and doing the work to be a good parent. There are plenty of people out there who are lousy parents, half of whom were all pregnant at least once. There is nothing about the fact of pregnancy in and of itself that merits any special respect whatsoever. You may be busting your ass with plans and intents to be the best parent in the world. You may even carry those plans out, and even succeed in doing so (the two are not the same - there are parents out there who try very hard and succeed only in being poor parents). Then again, you could simply be knocked up.
I don’t owe a pregnant person or even a good parent one damned thing. S/he didn’t do it for me, or for the world; s/he did it because s/he wanted children or because s/he was too thoughtless or ignorant or unlucky to prevent a pregnancy. The act of becoming and being pregnant demonstrates no merit whatsoever. It also demonstrates no lack of merit; it is simply a fact.
I respect good parents because they’re doing a difficult job well - one that I would be unwilling to attempt myself. I even try to respect bad parents who are trying to do a good job, although their failures in that respect may be so annoying that I don’t manage to actually achieve that respect. But don’t try to bestow the merits of being a good parent on someone who is simply pregnant.
Again, I will offer a pregnant any courtesy I am able to, just as I will offer that courtesy to anyone else who appears to be in greater need than I. But in this thread, it has been suggested by some that pregnancy itself should be accorded the extra respect and/or gratitude and/or admiration accorded a good parent. Sorry, but it doesn’t work that way for me. A person who is pregnant has demonstrated her fertility, nothing more, nothing less. And while I may have great respect and admiration for a good parent, I have no gratitude. S/he has not done it in order to serve the world.
Btw, ignore catsix, or at least her choice of words. She’s actually fairly sensible (her points, when isolated from their phrasing, are usually not bad and are sometimes remarkable astute and/or sensible), she’s quite bright, and probably quite a nice person in real life, but she seems to take enormous pleasure in being thoroughly obnoxious or abrasive much of her time on the message board. She will say that she is simply being frank (and she certainly is that - **catsix ** will never stab someone in the back!), because she doesn’t care what we think of her, but it certainly appears to this observer that she goes out of her way to be insulting at times. There are a few other posters running around like that - Excalibre comes to mind. You just have to accept that their style ranges from neutral to seriously obnoxious, or ignore them entirely - which would be a pity, because they both have good things to say if you can get past the abrasiveness.