Silly hypothetical: cash gifts and good manners

Say my sister is getting married and I’m gearing up to write her a $500 check for a gift.

But instead of sending $500, I decide to be all hipster about it and write a check for $507.91 instead (I won’t be constrained by round numbers, man!)

Would that be bad manners? Passive aggressive somehow?

[ETA: thread title = “money gifts” not “cash gifts”, duh]

Why would it be bad manners? She might wonder why the odd number, but that’s no big deal.

Might it come across as if I’m carefully paying back a debt or something like that?

um, what? Its a little random, but unless you gave to her all in pennies (ie, made it in some way difficult/awkward to accept the gift) there’s nothing rude. She puts in in the bank, she gets the money. yay! I mean, it’s stupid and pointless, but not rude.

In some cultures, particular non-round numbers are considered good luck (Jews often gift in multiples of $18)

If I got that as a gift, I wouldn’t think it was rude, but I’d certainly be confused. I wouldn’t think you were paying back a debt unless you actually owed me money.

I’d probably ask you about it. You’d want to at least have a decent reply or it will just be weird or pointless. But, like Hello Again said, Yay, Money!

What if you incorporated the date of the wedding into the amount? Like if they are married on March 15th, give them $503.15. That would be cute!

Actually, I really like that idea, I might do that in the future :slight_smile:

It’s because the numerical value of the letters that spell “chai” (life) is 18. (Not to be confused with the tea.)

THAT makes sense and is adorable. Or March 15, 2014 could be $315.14

There’s only one acceptable date format, and that’s not it. Better make it $201,403.15.

This is something we do.
Birthday gifts, we like to use the cents for the age. 20.13 instead fo 20, for someone turning 13. Also use the cents for year when giving a check for graduations. 20.14 as an example for someone graduating this year

I donated something like $56.14 to a friend of mine’s charity request once. She wrote back asking me if the number had any significance, but she wasn’t offended.
(No, it didn’t have any significance. I was just in an odd mood.)

When my daughter was accepted to college I sent her a card. I was going to include a check for $300 or so to help with initial expenses. Instead I made the check $314.15. I was thrilled that she got the reference. When she graduated, I sent a check for $420.00. Again, she immediately understood.

She went out and bought a couple of ounces?

No, she doesn’t toke or drink. The apple fell waaaay far from the tree in this instance.:smiley:

So, did she use (some of) the money to buy a towel?

I’m puzzled, Puzzler. Little help?

42 = meaning of life, from Douglas Adams’ Hitchhiker’s Guide, in which towels are the most essential items you can own.

Or $360 when she gets her degree(s).

When she gets a divorce, and burning the wedding certificate, send her $451

I thought it was a cannabis reference

'Twas indeed. But now I see that there is 42 within 420. Ignorance fought!

ETA: :smiley: Isilder!

PS ETA: She used the money to furnish her new abode. Towels involved, I’m sure!

Was she studying maths by any chance?

B.S. In Nursing.