Simple Alcoholic Drinks to make.

I’ve recently started making mojitos. Wouldn’t dark rum make the drink look an ugly mud colour? What kind of limes do you use and how much mint? The recipe I’m going by says 7 sprigs of mint - what the hell is a sprig?

Traveling as much as I do, I’ve developed 3 basic drinks for airplanes.

The first is Bourbon on the rocks. If all they’ve got is cheap bourbon (JD), I’ll go for a Canadian blended whiskey, or maybe Crown Royal instead. I feel you’ve got to have a little water to bring out the flavor of whiskey, and you get a nice range of flavors as the ice melts.

Second is Vodka & cranberry. Unfortunately, many airplanes only have cranapple, which works poorly as a mixer. Too sweet versus tart.

Third is coffee with Baileys. Lots of cream, lots of sugar, lots of booze. That’s how I like my coffee.

:confused:

Mrs. Butterworth’s or Aunt Jemima?

What can you do with Schnapps?

a few snazzy layered shots (they don’t fall into your “simple beverage” category, though) and maybe a few cocktail-like mixes

Jack Daniels and ginger ale is a nice change of pace from Jack and Coke.

I once ordered a Cape Cod, and got something that wasn’t vodka and cranberry juice. There was an addition of orange juice, which was odd, but not undrinkable.

“Jennifer’s Orgasm” (A fun drink to mention in my circle of friends, which includes about 20 different girls named Jennifer)

Equal parts Spiced Rum and Dekupyr’s Buttershots. Most who have tried it liked it, some have complained that it’s “like drinking an alcoholic stick of butter” I like it because it’s easy to make, if somewhat sticky when spilled.

Something else I like to do is to mix equal parts water with bourbon. I call it “Yankee Grog.” The same thing can be done with Rum and water to make regular Grog, but I don’t know if it is any good or not.

I’ve also been known to enjoy an Irish Coffee from time to time. Just like regular coffee, but you have to squeeze a wee lil Irishman into the mug. (OR you can just use whiskey. I tend to use Bourbon, since it’s what I find in the house)

A drink I tried once and enjoyed (but can’t remember the recipe for) is a Jovian Sunspot. Includes vodka, cranberry juice, coconut juice, and some other stuff, poured in such a way as to form different colored layers of drink in the glass. The flavor, of course, changes as you sip your way from one layer to the next. And yes, in case any of you were wondering, it’s a B5 geek drink. :slight_smile:

Simple syrup - made by boiling equal parts of water and sugar - stir frequently and put in a jar for future use.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

Cane sugar or beet?

Sugar that comes from Sugarland TX is cane sugar. That is what I have used. Whatever you have on hand is probably fine. Come to think of it, I wonder if Splenda would work?

Tom Collins: Gin, sour mix, splash soda; garnish with orange slice and cherry

Most supermarkets carry a “Collins Mix”, which is essentially just a 7-Up or Sprite, but a little more sour and a little less carbonated. And I typically do without the orange and cherry.

I recommend Bombay Sapphire Dry Gin.

I use three parts sugar to 1 part water. I have also seen 2 to 1.

Daiquiri:

Juice of 1/2 lime.
Teaspoon simple syrup.
2 oz white rum.

Shake with ice and strain into chilled cocktail glass.

I find that a couple of these will light me up pretty good. :slight_smile:

Antifreeze:

4 parts orange juice
1 part triple sec
1 part blue curacao

It’s all citrus-flavored, so it doesn’t really taste any different from orange juice. Much more palatable than a screwdriver, in my opinion.

Note that you really need to use a good spicy ginger ale for this (I like the Blenheim’s red-cap version)–if you use a standard wimpy ginger ale like Schweppe’s or Canada Dry, it turns out pretty nasty.

I like a Baked Apple

1 shot cinnamon schnappes
1 pint apple cider

pour schnappes in first, top with cider and serve cold.

You can make the above with blackberry schnappes instead. It becomes a Black Bird (cider)
I also like Root Beer Floats
1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz Galliano
1/2 oz light cream

Pour into a collins glass with ice, stir and top with cola and whipped topping.

I like Vodka Dews - Mountain Dew and Vodka

A new one I made the other day is Three Olives Cherry Vodka, Tonic water and a twist of lime over ice, I don’t know if it’s a “real” drink with a name or not. :smiley: Tastes good though.

Umm …

nevermind.

:smiley:

Brandy and gingerale go very well together.

Kahlua and milk, whisky and milk or Bailey’s and milk are nice.

My sister was in Brazil recently, so we’ve mostly been drinking Caipirinhas.
Which is just Cachaça, limes and sugar syrup, made up the same as a Daiquiri.
Although Cachaça is also made from sugar cane, it is not the same as rum, and people who tell you otherwise are mistaken.

I like hot whisky with lemon, cloves and sugar, hot brandy with sugar and a slice of fresh root ginger and hot port with a slice of orange, cloves and sugar. Dead easy and nice in the winter.

Well there is the Vodka Martini (according to wiki it is “controversial”. I dunno about that, a proper martini is really made with gin, but many people think of a martini as being made with vodka. In restaurants I always say vodka martini), just exchange the gin for vodka in most of the various other martini recipes described. Personally I like it a little dry (more vodka/gin than vermouth) and a little dirty (some olive brine, definitlely not a jigger’s worth though for me). And yes, shaken, not stirred, for me.

My g.f. ordered a Salty Dog in a bar recently and got vodka and grapefruit, no salt. The bartender asked her how her drink was and she smiled gamely and said, “Well, it’s a Dog…” :stuck_out_tongue: