Smurf trivia

I can’t imagine why, but this has been bothering me for years. In at least one episode of the Smurfs, there was this little bug that would fly around and bite Smurf tails. The Smurfs would then turn purple, hop around saying, “Gnap, gnap”, and try to bite other Smurfs on the tail. I’ve no idea what initially made me curious, but, does anyone remember the name of the bug, or if it was even given a name in the cartoon? Nobody I’ve asked knows, and I’ve never been able to find it online.

Hmm… I’m completely smurfed!

Wasn’t that Smurfette? (Before she became the good Smurfette?)

Yep, Doubleclick, that was her.

From the Official Smurf Homepage:

Oh, and did you know the Smurf’s are communists? :smiley:

Really? Are you sure it was Smurfette? I could have sworn it was an insect of some sort. Perhaps I’m getting episodes mixed up. I was only 7 or so at the time.

Pretty sure. I think I remember the episode, but I could be wrong. The official site has histories of the different smurs and villains, but the series was pretty long. That’s the most likely answer I found.
There’s quite a few Smurf sites on the web, but I couldn’t find a summary for that particular episode.

Okay, I can provide you only with a partial answer.

Yes you are right. It was some kind of fly. It as a name (let me go see if I still have the book. Yea, found it. Sorry, only have the French name, la mouche Bzzz).They didn’t turn purple they turned black.

You just described the beginning of the first Schtroumpf (their original French name) comic book, “Les Schtroumpfs noirs”. I think it was published in 67 by Dupuis from Belgium.

Slight hijack. Why was the name changed from Schtroumpf to Smurf, anybody knows ? End of hijack. Normal programming will now resume.

I’ve always assumed it was because they didn’t think a monoglot English speaker could possibly pronounce Schtroumpf.

Thanks, detop. I’m going to go with the assumption that “la mouche Bzzz” translates to “the Bzzz fly”, and just call it that when it comes up in conversation (which it’s bound to do) unless someone else comes up with better info.

Well if you can always check outCartoon Overanalyzation .

I think some people have waaay too much time on their hands.

I just have to say, I remember that episode well, and reading the OP just shot me back about 20 years in time. Yow! It will also drive me insane not to know what the actual name of the fly was.
Zette

Check out these pics from the episode- they are on a page that implys that the Smurfs are homosexual, and I hope it doesn’t offend anyone:
http://www.angelfire.com/ks2/littleluke/Smurfs

Also, the episode is number
23. The Purple Smurfs
A purple fly bites Lazy, causing a tail-biting purple epidemic