So, I lost my damned glasses

Have you looked on top of your head?

I thought you wore contacts! My bad. You should try them, though, you have lovely eyes.

Who exactly is this aimed at?

I’ve never lost them. I keep them on my face. I don’t know why I would take progressives off and on.

When I do remove them, I have just two spots they go - either the nightstand drawer or a specific spot on a specific shelf in the bathroom. If I took them off in the car, I would have one specific spot I always put them. I do the same with my keys, which I haven’t lost since I started doing that.

Have you called the store? If there is a lost and found, they may have been turned in.
Look, stuff sometimes falls out of coat pockets. Whats it hurt to call?

I lost mine somewhere in Indiana. It was a fairly bright day so I had my sunglasses on and didn’t notice they had fallen out of my jacket until evening. I still had the “sun eyes” and a spare pair (my last/former pair) in the car so I wasn’t SOL — but it was a pain for a few days until I got home.

Just called. Nope. Which is what I figured.

I have no clue how I could have lost them between buying naan bread and arriving at home, but they’re nowhere to be found.

Thanks for the suggestion though. At least it eliminates one more location.

I’m starting to think they might be in the snow on my driveway or thereabouts. When I leave in the morning it’s dark. When I get home it’s dark.

I think tomorrow I’ll park short of my usual spot and go out with a flashlight.

Last night my car died on the way home. The alternator and the battery were pooched and I didn’t get home till 8:30. I had to pick the car up tonight (after $740 for repair) and so I haven’t checked the driveway yet. And it’s frigging snowing again.

This has not been a good week.

Hang in there Leaffan! I call those hurricane weeks, when everything just seems to be getting blown down as fast as I can set it up again. They come around every so often.

Check the back of the kitchen counters, behind stuff, or on the windowsill. Sometimes when you are cooking and then wiping up afterwards it’s easy to push things back out of the way subconsciously.

Also, check the recycling container or wherever you store your shopping bags.

Just knick-knacking.

I thought I lost my glasses once and asked my ex husband if he saw them and he said “NO!” After looking all over the my condo for 20 minutes I asked my ex once more and he put down the his newspaper and said “NO!” The fool was wearing MY glasses and he could not understand why he was having a hard time reading the newspaper . :smack: I guess your insurance would not cover your glasses , I had my hearing aides on my condo insurance policy.

Leaffan, do you want to hear about a worse week than yours, that started with the loss of a pair glasses? This happened to my partner, about 20 years ago (We weren’t together then) He has very poor eyesight, and yes even with new lightweight glasses, etc they really are “coke bottles”. His contacts keep him from being totally blind, but he is unable to even drive with contacts.

On the weekend, he was at a bar and his leather jacket was stolen. He was wearing contacts, so he could not have driven home even if he had his car keys. The then girlfriend greeted him with “we have to talk”. He moved out the next day, leaving her with the house they had purchased together. He went to get his eyes checked on Monday and was chatting with the optometrist about how his live was changing but he was getting a new car on Wednesday, one he had planned to purchase even before the break up.

The doctor says…“um well about that…” and tells him his eyes are now at a point where he is l unfit to drive.

His job, as a broadcaster as well as his part time job doing media sales both required driving. His first call was to the car dealership, cancelling his purchase of a car. The next was to his managers to have sit-downs regarding his future.
So in the space of several days he lost jacket, glasses, girlfriend, house, car, and within two weeks his jobs, although he tried to do phone sales for a while.
So…I am sure you are having a terrible week, and my sympathies but be glad you are not my partner.

Have you asked someone else with good sight to search all the places you already looked? I mean all. We get so accustomed to places that we don’t see a tiny niggle in them even if it’s something that might only turn up occasionally - that niggle gets built in to what you see as “normal”; for someone else, this is not true. And they can see a flash of light from a lens better than you can.

An aside: why are you spending so much money on glasses that you can function without?

True!

Although, as a contact lens wearer, I have lost my “main” pair of glasses before, and have had to put on my old, ugly pair to find them, so I can appreciate the OP’s problem. (If I didn’t keep the old, ugly pair around I’d have had to put contacts in - that’s why I keep them).

I can function, but it’s not the same.

Reading glasses are fine for up close, but not for intermediate distances of 5" to 10" from me. I need progressive lenses to focus in that area.

Besides, I don’t pay for the glasses, my company does up to $500 every two years.

Yep. That’s a worse week than I’m having, for sure.

I gave up three pair to the water gods while sailing and windsurfing. One pair I had less than a week. :smack:

I lost them despite using a croakies strap and even with a float.

I am seriously blind without glasses. I had to negotiate a bus ride to the mall to to the whole LensCrafters thing.

That should be feet, 5’ to 10’.

I rather stupidly went out into a hurricane-force typhoon with my glasses on. They were blown right off. Fortunately, I did find them the next day.

I’m pretty pissed off at my eyes now. I just started remodeling some things and damn, it’s harder when you have to move your head in and out of focus on the project.

You should wear your glasses when at the computer to avoid typos like that.

:wink:

I think the only time I ever lost a pair of glasses … so far … was when I was living up in the North. There’s a small but popular waterfall up there, and I’d rented a motorcycle to ride out there. (This was in the 1980s. A motorcycle was sometimes a necessity back then, but I’ve since gotten out of the habit.) While foolishly trying to wade across the stream at the top of the falls – it’s really more like rapids than a straight-out waterfall, but it’s called a waterfall – I slipped and fell, and my glasses swirled rapidly away. I had no choice but to ride my motorcycle back to town on the mountainous road while blind as a bat, VERY slowly and carefully.

When I saw the headline I thought it said “So, I lost my *diamond *glasses.” I was going to help you look for them but, you know, fuck it.