So, SDMBers mostly identify as ----?

Another white American female. Beyond that, I’m half Irish and half Italian (3rd generation on both sides).

Born in India (and of Indian origin), immigrated to Quebec at the age of 2 and then Boston at the age of 12 with a few temporary stints in England and Japan (my father used to drag us around on his projects when we were young).

I hold passports for two countries so I pass myself off as one or the other depending on the situation.

Said, without irony, by a guy living in Hong Kong who makes sure his Englishness is affirmed and updated in Burke’s Peerage.

White American, Greek heritage. Well, half Greek, but my mother betrayed her nice pure Greek family and married a man who is half Irish and half… European. I don’t really have any of the quarter Irish in my looks. If you saw me in the summer or fall you’d probably guess I had at least some Mediterranean heritage (I tan fairly well and it makes me look pretty Greek); winter and spring, I’m just pretty damn white.

I think it would be really cool from a cultural standpoint to have my mother’s maiden name be my last name (it’s a very Greek name)… but given that I’m the oldest male in my generation on my father’s side, it would probably annoy way too many relatives to make it plausible. So instead I have a last name of random European descent that everyone misspells :smack:

‘Electable.’

That is, white male of indeterminate faith.

I’m Dutch, Irish, German and Scottish, but if pressed for ethnicity I’ll say “Irish on my mom’s side, Scottish on my dad’s,” since those are the biggest ones.

:smack: You know, that’s what I get for posting a half-remembered factoid at 5:30 in the morning without looking it up to confirm it first. Es tut mir leid – manchmal bin ich so ein Dummkopf.

…and now you’re probably going to tell me I wrote that wrong…

Home Counties with Lancastrian and Trosachs roots. ie Mostly English with a bit of Scotish where it counts.

I am a 26 year old white midwestern American female with Irish, German, Scottish (maybe) and Native American (Choctaw… we think) ancestry.

The family names are Vaughn, Wallis, Newland (no one knows WHERE this came from…it could be Scottish Newlands or a bastardization of the NA name) McLain and McLean. The names are differently spelled as to get around immigration laws for my great great grandmother’s husband and his twin brother. What the immigration officials thought when they saw two identical men with different last names and huge families, I don’t know, but they came, saw, and conquered. :slight_smile:

White Australian. On my mother’s side, I can trace the line right back to a convict named Bustard who was transported for pickpocketing. The English mob on that side of my family were from Kent, I believe (an aunt has done some genealogy back to the middle eighteenth century. On my dad’s side it is less clear, but I believe my paternal grandfather was born in Australia to Scottish parents, and my paternal grandmother likewise to Welsh ones.

I have distant Aboriginal relatives, due to a nineteenth century ancestor eloping with a black girl to Queensland (deserting the navy, I think).

That’s what I am. It’s not what I “identify as”, which is a prissy, meaningless PC term I really can’t stand (sorry to the OP, everyone uses it I know, so I accept the problem is mine).

I’m Dutch [or Nederlander]. Boringly so. No exciting ancestors from Ghana or Greenland or something. Just Dutch. Even my last name is very Dutch.

Mycroft Holmes what the heck is ‘onneuzel’? hehehehe :slight_smile:

“Well, I think it all began when the Angles met the Saxons…” :slight_smile:

Actually, no. 3rd/4th generation white American, with Italian, Czech, Polish, and Russian heritage.

White USA citizen, with ancestors who entered the country from 1630 to 1905. A little over half Dutch ancestry, about a quarter German, an eighth english, and an eighth mix of welsh, scottish, croatian, french, russian and swiss thrown in. Still searching for native american, african, or jewish ancestry, but without any luck yet.

Canadian, Irish/French (think Cajun) descent, living in the US.

“Mostly white” American. The state I was born in doesn’t consider my mother, or her parental line white (because Portuguese is really exotic, huh? She’s 1/2) but I’m not sure what they’d say of me since I’m also Irish, Scottish, French and English. Oh, and one of my great-great grandfathers was black, from the Azores. People get pissed at me when I correct their assumption that I’m 100% Irish…only a handful of people even realize I’m Scottish too(you’d think more people would associate red hair with Scotland than do), and none think of any of the other ethnicities at all. I leave the ethnicity part of work surveys blank.

Malay from Malaysia.

I am human.

At least after two cups of coffee.

White American chick here, mostly made of the usual Scottish/Irish/English/German blend.

The only noteworthy component is on my mother’s side. Her grandfather immigrated to the US from Kalamata, Greece. He came in through Ellis Island (his papers are floating around somewhere in the family archives), and meandered his way over to Kansas City working for the rail road. There he met my great grandmother (Irish) while staying at her mother’s boarding house.

I thank the good Lord that I left Britain after voting three times for Grantham Maggie and once for Brixton Johnny - leaving it in safe hands, as it were. I would have blown a gasket by now had I stayed behind and watched that slimeball Blair (and his ghastly Lady Macbethian wife) and his supporting cast of Campbells, Browns and Crooks (oops - Cooks) spin their way through my homeland. I saw Mandelson on the box the other day (he’s something in Europe now) and I’m glad it was before I had my dinner. What a toadrag.
[/QUOTE=guinong]
David Hume…
[/QUOTE]
Hume - for his influence on Kant, I’m willing to forgive him some of his less felicitous ideas, such as his “passivist” theory of knowledge (Popper’s word). Yet even he had to leave Scotland to do his best work, and I bet he took his kilt and bored those Froggies and, of course, the poor long-suffering Londoners, with all his Bannockburn stories!

Yeah, I know, I looked back at my OP after I’d written it and thought, “mmm, 90% wank.” But I don’t want to offend anyone or give the impression that I’m motivated by anything other than sheer bloodyminded curiousity about people. :smiley:

White Canadian female. My maternal grandparents were Danish. I don’t know or care about the details of my paternal ancestry. (My dad is a great person but I don’t consider his family to be related to me. Frankly, I don’t think he considers them related to him either.)