So, SDMBers mostly identify as ----?

New Zealander, of English/Scots/Irish descent (and a dash of Spanish according to one side’s family trad).

I “identify” as Native American (indigenous) as that is my culture and lifestyle. I am not full blood however, though few are any more. I am also Scot and Welsh. If anyone is conversant in Scots and Welsh history/genealogy, I’ll trade you boring indigenous anecdotes for your wisdom.

Hawk

I miss the Latinos in this forum. Are they not curious ?

(Shibboleth: I was just kidding)

Honkey.

Ice you don’t identify as Pakeha?

I’m not thinking that is a bad thing, just wondering if you do or not?

I’m emphatically not Pakeha: I’m a New Zealander, though born in England. English, Scots and Irish on my father’s side, English, Welsh and German on my mother’s, although there’s apparently some Huguenot French if you go back far enough.

Well if you were born in England no need to identify as a Pakeha. I think Pakeha is a badge of Kiwi (see Shirley). Fuck being white. I like being Pakeha.

Oh and just because…if you were born a Pom you will probably always identify as a Pom.

I was born a Kiwi and am MORE then happy to be a Pakeha.

I’m a New Zealander, calm kiwi. I identify with my nationality, and that’s NZ. You want to talk race, I’m the product of white European immigrants, both sides. One of the terms is Pakeha, another is Palagi ('cause I adore my Pacific Island “aunties” as family).

I’m comfortable with either Pakeha or Palagi. But this is about what I identify myself with. That is as a New Zealander. Cue patriotic music … “God of Nations, At Thy Feet …”

You and me both mate.

Palangi is not a word from one of the two official languages of NZ though.

I know some Kiwis don’t like the word Pakeha but to me it is a badge of honour. It means I’m a honky fron NZ. Pakeha don’t come from Australia or Britain or Poland or America. They come from NZ. I like that. I’m Pakeha (not entirely) but I’m frigging proud that my “white” (almost) has a name that is special to my country.
Call me wacky. Go on. I’m just pleased I still have Pakha as a box to tick.

Unlike what you did to me here, calm kiwi, I won’t question why you choose to identify yourself as Pakeha. That’s your choice. You made comment on my identity as Palagi too – but this is my choice, not yours, and it is personal. Why should it matter to you that anyone else identifies with slightly different things than you do? Why should personal identity be questioned?

Hope you don’t mean to imply that my choice of “New Zealander” means I don’t like the term Pakeha.

I hope you noticed I identified as a Kiwi first. I just like Pakeha best as the second. I am NOT a European or a Caucasian. I’m a Pakeha and proud to be.

Good for you, calm kiwi. And for me – good for me that I have an identity I’m proud of.

What does Palagi mean, exactly?

I would hope you knew me beter then that! Palangi is an adopted term, adopted because some of us (yes you AND me) embrace those terms.

Pakeha is different. It is the Te Reo term and the term MOST accepted by those willing to call them self anything other then White.

I for one LOVE being Pakeha. It is about being Kiwi.

Palangi means the same as Pakeha and that is all I know. I’m sorry that I can’t tell if it is a Samoan or Tongan or Raratongan word intialy. It’s meaning is well known in Auckland, though possibly not in Dunedin.

Pakeha is known throughout the country though.

Cool. I agree with you, calm kiwi, that “Pakeha” is part of our heritage of Kiwiana. (So is Palagi, because there’s a lot of Pacific Islanders here, who are Kiwis as well, and walking in their world, I am Palagi.)

So, y’see – because there’s an increasing variety to the patchwork quilt that is New Zealand and being a Kiwi (oh, yes, I’m proud to call myself that) – I identify with New Zealand. Land of my birth and breeding. Born in the centre of the isthmus of Auckland-of-the-many-volcanoes. I am a New Zealander, and no one can take that pride away from me.

Means more than being Pakeha/Palagi/NZ European. It means this is my home.

Cheers, fellow Kiwi. :slight_smile:

An afterthought – you can’t consider yourself Palagi if you don’t identify with the term. As you can’t.

I’m lucky. I can. :slight_smile:

See I couldn’t agree more!!! Just my place in NZ makes me Pakeha. I have always ticked every box that way. I am PROUD to be a Pakeha. I couldn’t be a Pakeha if I came from anywhere else. :slight_smile:

FIRSTLY I am a Kiwi. Secondly a Pakeha. I don’t think much of any questionaires that ask that question BUT if they do, I am never going to answer NZ-European or Caucasian. I like being a Pakeha. It means I am from here. :slight_smile:

Oh, absolutely! Isn’t it an annoying frick-off to only have the choice “NZ European”?? Yeah. Been times I’ve definitely put Pakeha, mate! Damned PC crap … :slight_smile: