So What's for Dinner Tonight? (2020 Anything Goes Edition)

I don’t know how to search the thread, but if one of you guys made some cheesesteaks lately, thanks for the idea! It’s something I never make, but I took a shot at it last night and it turned out well. I also made some coleslaw, which I don’t even like, and that turned out good too. :ice_cream: :wine_glass:

That recipe and the soup made from the leftovers were so good, I’m doing it again. Beans, cumin, oregano, peppers are soaking today for tomorrow’s dinner. Tonight will be take-out.

In any thread, click the magnifying glass at upper right. Then in the pop-up check the box at lower left helpfully labeled “Search this topic”. THEN put your search words in the input box, do NOT press [Enter], and wait a second or two.

A dropdown of snips of matching posts in the thread will appear. Click one of them to scroll the existing page to that item. When you next click the magnifying glass, the same search and results list is already there. So you can easily step your way through every mention of cheesesteak or air fryer or goat or …

And of course, by putting in @LSLGuy or @kayaker or @Whoever* … you can see a list of all their contributions to the thread.

* Now that's a damn shame. **Whoever** would be an awesome username. Some one-post wonder back in 2002 wasted it for all eternity.

:woman_facepalming: I don’t know how I missed that giant magnifying glass.
Thank you, @LSLGuy!

I don’t eat a lot of chicken wings. And would usually go out for them if I did. Occasionally buy a box of frozen ones.

But after making the recipe from The Best Recipe (Cooks Illustrated), didn’t realize just how easy, healthier and just how much better fresh homemade wings are. Wow. Maybe it’s a good thing wings here cost ten bucks for a couple pounds - you could eat that far too often.

Leftover roasted green beans and carrots, a tamale, and a cupcake.

Turkey broth, rounded out with carrots and onions and celery and garlic, with orzo pasta. So simple. So good.

Leftover turkey, leftover wild rice, leftover gravy, leftover apple pie. Freshly-cooked broccoli.

Yesterday was Thanksgiving II: Return of the Bird (with all the sides). We’ll take a day off from that tonight and have stuffed shells and cucumber salad.

Lef Tovers.

Leftover mashed potatoes, air fryer Brussel sprouts with a honey-balsamic glaze, and meatloaf.

Chili. It’s our very first cold day this season. :slight_smile:

I tried to eat a Screamin’ Sicilian stromboli, but it was total garbage. I don’t see how this company gets any repeat business. So I tossed it, ate the cole slaw I made as a side and am now consoling myself with a glass of wine and Danish butter cookies.

Cornish hen, perched atop my usual root veggie mix: red skinned potatoes, onions, garlic, carrots. Some butter & salt became involved.

Roasting now, should be ready in half an hour or so.

Leftovers: Turkey breast stuffed with sausage cornbread stuffing, homemade cranberry chutney, mashed potatoes, gravy.

Leftovers. Turkey soup, made with home made turkey stock and leftover turkey meat, also beans, barley, and carrots.

and I finally cooked that pack of pilsbury crescent rolls I bought ages ago. Next time I think I’ll make my own quick bread from scratch.

This is my first time in this thread, and I’m no chef, so be gentle with me - but I like to experiment! So yesterday I made a variation of this: Perfect Slow Cooker Pork Chops Recipe

My goal was simply to find a slow cooker recipe for pork chops with ingredients I had to hand - we have pork chops reasonably often but on the grill or skillet they inevitably dry out. I didn’t have any Dijon mustard so substitued cheap hot dog mustard, which was probably just as well as I don’t like too much heat and my wife is even more sensitive to it. I also decided to modify the recipe by frying up some chopped garlic once I’d seared the pork, then I added the liquid to the pan to delaminate it before I put the liquid over the pork and onion in the Crockpot. Oh, and I added a splash of cognac as an afterthought - next time I’ll stir it into the sauce. I was concerned about the relatively small amount of liquid in there, but it turned out fine - will be doing it again.

Oh, and I defrosted the pork first - other sources suggest this is safer, and trying to sear frozen pork seemed weird to me. Anyone ever done that?

Tonight should finally finish off the Thanksgiving leftovers.
We had eggs and sausage last night for something easy and different.

Cooked a turkey-ham loaf, served it with baked yams and cauliflower fritters (grated cauliflower, an egg, breadcrumbs, seasoning, then air fried).

Tacos. Not sure if I’ll scrounge up a side dish.