[QUOTE=ivylass]
I’m probably going to get flamed for this, but…
YOU are not replaceable as Mum. You are replaceable at work, but your baby only has one Mum, and that’s YOU.
Since you have to work, that’s the reality. But if there’s anyway you and the Mister can swing it so you can work part time, or if he can work more and you can be a full SAHM, or the grandparents can take over instead of some stranger, it would be great.
I say this as someone who had kidlets in daycare, and looking back, I wish there had been another way.
I know you’re a good mom. I know you’re doing the best you can. But DO NOT underestimate the importance of you to your son.
[/QUOTE]
I’m not going to flame you, but I am just going to point out that the phrase “some stranger” really grates on me. It is a pet peeve of mine that people refer to day care providers as “strangers.” I work part time, my son is at my mom’s one day and a private home day care for 2 days. Honestly, he loves my mom, but in some ways he is better off during the day care days and I say that knowing she is a loving and doting grandma. The day care provider balances his days better with activities, she is a former nanny and preschool teacher, she gives him healthful balanced meals, and he has great friends there. He loves her and loves going there, as soon as I set him down he runs to her arms just like with grandma. If he didn’t like going there or if I thought he wasn’t happy or safe there I would pull him out in a heartbeat. My mom is a normal grandma and spoils him, if he was there every day she would have to be much more of a disciplinarian with him and neither of us wants that.
I did not look for the first ad in the phone book and drop him off there. Just because someone is related to you or your friend does not automatically make them a better child care provider, but so often I hear people assume that. We actually have the chance to reduce his day care stays by a few hours now that my husband is working a different shift, but we talked and are choosing to let him go the 2 full days since he likes it so much and to let him keep his normal schedule.
My guess is that most people research their day care providers more carefully than their kid’s teachers. But no one criticizes people for sending that same 3 or 4 year old to preschool to be taught by strangers.
You are right that no one can replace me as mom, and no one does. That doesn’t mean my child should only be exposed to me or only raised by me. Part of my duty as his mom is to expose him to other loving people, whether that is a play group or a preschool or a day care.