Son of Bachelor Kibble Returns!

Wow, someone is making something sort of solid Soylent, kind of. Words sort of fail me =)

I hit up This is why I am broke now and then for fun crap, and they have a posting for https://squareat.com .

Compressed “pure” no additive food squares. Talk about taking the whole meal box to the extreme! One can peel them and eat cold, sous vide, microwave or fry the squares to eat. If one is on the whole restrict the calories super minimal calorie deal, and want to spend the money I suppose it would be good.

Some of the ‘menus’ sound interesting, and I would probably give them a quick try for the heck of it if I had the spare cash, but I honestly don’t see it as something I would normally be interested in - I enjoy the process of selecting the foods and preparing the food too much to just open the freezer and grab 4 or 6 tiny blocks for a meal.

I particularly like the grill marks on the meat squares, to help convince you that it’s meat, and not some other square of food substance.

Interesting. I am always rather suspicious of a widely advertised product that is available only from the maker.

I can see a niche for this - someone who hates to make breakfast in the morning and wants something quick, easy, and nutritious, for example, or someone who really really really does not like to cook and isn’t overly picky about what they eat, and a few other instances.

Not really my cup of tea. I mean, I could potentially see having something like this in the freezer for those times I’m over worked, stressed, exhausted, and need something quick to eat but honestly there’s a lot of other stuff already in my freezer that fits that description.

Like Soylent is - and it sort of fills the same niche market.

Think about it, we have freshly out of college kids, first job, first time living away from home, doesn’t want to always be eating out, but doesn’t know how to cook/doesn’t want to deal with shopping and cooking as it takes up a lot of time.

I was talking with mrAru and I pointed out it would also be good for someone who was told they had to go on a high restriction diet to lose weight and wanted ‘real food’ - I would actually consider something like this from the standpoint of lack of energy during chemo/radiation, if he wasn’t around to help out with the cooking on my worst days, I would have just done ensure type shakes for the nutrition because I could just have someone drop off a few cases next to the bed and call it good. [well for certain values of good]

So they’re like jars of baby food in solid form?

‘Now you can recreate all the great dysphagia menu meals you had in the hospital…AT HOME!’

More or less, the lazy way to eat. No shopping, no prep other than nuke or saute, can be eaten cold out of the fridge/freeze.

And oddly enough, hospital food has been getting better.