Song Survey: The Wheels on the Bus

EEE-III-EEE-III-OOOOOOOOOOOO

Shucks, I thought everyone knew that.

:eek: Blasphemy, sez I! It’s “eensy-weensy.”

(As far as the wheel-turning bus is concerned…I dunno.)

When I was a very small Tansu, we sang ‘all day long’. What one does with the drunken sailor is ‘earlie in the morning’

What do you sing for other verses of ‘the wheels on the bus’? I remember ‘the wipers on the bus go swish swish swish’ and ‘the horn on the bus goes beep beep beep.’ I know there were more verses.

More verses? Heck yeah. The kids at my preschool once went on for full 5 minutes on that blasted song. They did the ones you mentioned, Tansu, and one or two others.

The windows on the bus go up and down…

The lights on the bus go blink-blink-blink…

The kids on the bus go ‘let’s get off’…*

The parents on the bus go ‘please be quiet’…

The babies on the bus go ‘wha-wha-wha’…
That’s all I can remember right now. I’ve heard a few diferent things for ‘the kids on the bus’ and one of the other directers for the daycare added verses about the grandparents and I seem to recall some other stuff, but can’t remember for certain right now. What I do recall is that I hated this flippin’ song because it went on and on and on and on…AGH!

“I’ve been sittin’ on the toilet
All the live-long day!”
~Homer Simpson

All over town.

“through” sounds odd.

All through the town - 7 votes

All day long - 3 votes

All round the town - 2 votes

Earlie in the morning - 2 votes

All over town - 1 vote

All the livelong day - 1 vote

Till the kids throw up - 1 vote

E-I-E-I-O - 1 vote

Anyone else want to get in on this?

It’s “all around town.”

Trust me on this. My niece is three, and we sing that song until I want to rip my hair out and hunt down the fool that penned it.

This song has more verses than the spanish birthday song “Las Maranitas” which, if sung in it’s entirety, would last from a child’s first birthday to their 21[sup]st[/sup] birthday.

The wheels on the bus song just goes on forever and my niece just loves to dance around and make everyone sing it for hours and hours. One would think a three-year-old would lose interest in something after about half an hour, but no.

So I can tell you, the last line is “all around town”. It says so on the CD jacket of my niece’s children’s song CD that her aunt (may she rot) got her for last Christmas.
It says so on the tape jacket of a similar cassette Gramma got her at the same time.
Blue’s Clues says so, and so does Sesame Street.

So let me tell you, it’s “all around town”.

And that’s that.

I honestly don’t know about the freewheeling bus song…

but does anyone know the words to a song that have the refrain:

Meep meep
Meep meep
His horn went meep meep meep

There’s something about a Cadillac in there too…

Beep beep
Beep beep
His horn went “beep beep beep.”

While riding in my Cadillac, what to my surprise
A little Nash Rambler was following me,
about one third my size
The guy must have wanted to pass me out
as he kept on tooting his horn
I’ll show him that a Cadillac
is not a car to scorn.
The rest of the lyrics are at this site. Go about halfway down the page to “Beep Beep.” :slight_smile:

For example:

The wheels on the bus go round and round
round and round, round and round
The wheels on the bus go round and round
all around Bangui… well, that’s how I learned it.

I guess it doesn’t work very well if you live in Albuquerque or Jacksonville

It’s definately not “all around town.” The notes go daaa-daaa-da-daaa (okay, I can’t write it out very well…quarter note, eighth, eighth note, quarter note, rest, I think, with some kind of special beat pattern that I don’t know the exact term of, but it makes it sound like "da-DUM da-DUM da-DUM instead of “dum dum dum dum dum”)

Other verses: Other than the ones already mentioned, the only other one I remember is “The pennies on the bus go clink clink clink.”

Re. The Spider: I always knew it as “Itsy Bitsy,” and I think that actually is the correct way. But many people seem to think it’s “Eency Weency.” I saw a TV commercial for some kind of record of childrens’ songs (the logic behind that just baffles me; it’s like the “Songs To Annoy Bus Drivers” tape Otto was playing on The Simpsons; “Why’d I even buy this tape!?”) and in the commercial the lyrics are said as “Incy Wincy.” I guess they couldn’t figure out which one it was, so they made a compromise, but “Incy Wincy” sounds really stupid.

Well, Little Richard sang “itsy bitsy spider”… that’s good enough for me.

For me it’s “All day long” and “Incy-Wincy” spider and
I could dig out the books and tapes to back me up, but since these are kids’ songs and nursery rhymes used throughout the English speaking world, I guess there are many variants out there.

Now trying to track down the lyrics for the Little Green Frog as I vaguely remembered it was a challenge …

Incy Wincy Spider!

That’s it! Not itsy bitsy at all!

Maybe we’ve finally found the real difference between Brits and Americans.

Itsy-Bitsy Spider gets my vote.
What the heck does Incy-Wincy mean? It’s a little, itsy-bitsy spider. Itsy-bitsy, just like “Itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, yellow polka-dot bikini…”

And it’s Loobey-Loo, as in “Here we go loobey-loo, here we go loobey-lie”. Not loopty-loo.
As for “The Wheels On The Bus” song, it’s “all around the town” or “all through the town.”
There can be tons of verses:
The driver on the bus says, “Move on back…”
The doors on the bus go open and shut…
The horn on the bus goes “Beep, beep, beep…”
The wipers on the bus go swish, swish, swish (or back and forth)…
The windows on the bus go up and down…
The babies on the bus cry “Boo-hoo-hoo…”
The mommies on the bus say “Shh, shh, shh…”

the engine on the bus goes vroom vroom vroom…all day long…

Early in the morning and “all the way to school” are the two versions I’ve heard.

Thanks brachyrhynchos!

I’ve wondered what the actual words to that song were for years!

(Well, not continuously, just on and off…)
:slight_smile: