Songs That Get Stuck In Your Head

That Stacy’s Mom song by Fountains of Wayne It’s an OK song but i always have it in my head

Damn! you beat me to it!

Stacy’s Mom, she’s got it goin’ on…

“Tom’s Diner” by Suzanne Vega. You know,

I am sitting in the morning
At the diner on the corner.
I am waiting at the counter
For the man to pour the coffee …

Also, “Ferry Cross the Mersey” by Gerry and the Pacemakers, a song that was written several years before I was born. I really only know a few lines of it, which makes the stuck thing even worse. At least I know all the lyrics to “Tom’s Diner.”

And another oldie, “In the year 2525” by Zager and Evans. Nothing like having an apocolyptic (sort of) ditty stuck in terminal replay to bring you down.

Finally, something a bit more contemporary: “All I Have” by J Lo and LL Cool J.

“Can’t Get You Out of My Head”, Kylie Minogue

No kidding…

Squeeze’s Tempted has always been the kind of song that stays in my head for days after hearing it once on the radio. Now thanks to that awful Fruit of the Loom ad on TV everywhere, it is stuck in my head pretty much constantly. Arrgh!

The little flute riff from “Watch Out Now”. Good god. I’ve been humming that thing for years.

“It’s 5:00 Somewhere” by Jimmy Buffet and ? Straight

Also check this out
http://www.songtitle.info/

They Might Be Giants

“Istanbul was Constantinople
now it’s Istanbul, not Constantinople
been a long time gone, Constantinople…”

Not sure if this counts, but for the last week or so, I’ve got “Weird Al” Yankovic’s “The Saga Begins”(*) stuck in my head whenever I’m trying to fall asleep. :confused:

(* = parody of “American Pie,” lyurics rewritten to reference Star Wars: The Phantom Menace)

[ul]
[li]“Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?” (Why yes, Boy George, as a matter of fact I do!)[/li][li]“Karma-karma-karma-karma-karma-Chame-le-on…” (can you tell how much I hate Culture Crap?)[/li][li]Any Village People song[/li][li]“Girls Just Wanna have Fun” - Cindy Lauper[/li][li]“Yellow Submarine” - The Beatles. Not a bad song, but easy to get stuck in your mind.[/li][li]“Video Killed the Radio Star” - The Buggles[/li][li]And who could possibly not include in this thread, “It’s a Small World After All…” playing in your mind over and over. Makes me want to douse my ears with gasoline and set them on fire.[/li][/ul]

The only song I have ever had stuck in my head is Missy Eliot’s “Get ur Freak on” or however she misspells the it. And only that godawful nuh-nuh-nana intro.

Wanna know the key to losing a song? Sing it. Over and over again, with some friends, and then it becomes a joke, and everyone will forget bits of jokes, so you’re clear.

DWC, someone’s marooned in the 80s.

For me, it’s been I Walk The Line by Johnny Cash lately. I keep catching myself humming or singing it.

:frowning:

uhhh…pay no mind to the “misspells the it” bit. I originally meant “the title” then just “it” and did a really half-assed deletion job

I find myself singing Dory’s silly song (Ellen Degeneres) from Finding Nemo: “Just keep swim-ming, swim-ming, swim-ming, just keep swim-ming, swim-ming, swim-ming, what do we do? we swim, swim…” over and over, quite extemporaneously.

Could be worse, I guess…

This sort of thing is an occupational hazard for members of G&S societies. :wink: I think I went around for four months singing “My object all sublime I will achieve in time…” when I did Mikado a couple of years ago…

I second dwc1970’s nomination of “Yellow Submarine.” I also find that “Norwegian Wood” has a tendency to get stuck in my head. And then there’s the Who’s “Squeeze Box,” which goes in and out and in and out and in and out and in and out until you want to jam knitting needles into your ears (and I actually like the song ;)). And, of course, we can’t forget “Magic Bus” (too much!).

And then there’s the cantina music from Star Wars… :eek:

Heh… this may be a little obscure, but I hear Kid606’s remix of this song all the freakin’ time!

Copy…
Copy me…

Coooooooppppppppeeeeee Meeeeeee…

(I highly suggest giving Kid 606 a listen if you haven’t heard him, by the way. The title of his remix that starts with Missy’s “Get ur Freak on” is called “Never Underestimate the Value of a Holler”. The music sounds like it’s being made by a hyperactive eight year old, and I mean that in only the best possible way.)

M.

PS: “Smack my Glitch Up” is good, too.