Songs you don't mind by recording artists/bands that you do

I’m not a big fan of The White Stripes, but Seven Nation Army is a great song.

…and this is my cue to confess to the world that I absolutely dig Justin Bieber’s [Love Yourself](Songs you don’t mind by recording artists/bands that you do)

This is one outstanding song.
mmm

Hmm, well you in particular managed to do this in spades.

I’m not a Ted Nugent fan, but “Stranglehold” is a good 8-minute slab of classic rock.

Agreed, with his increasingly whack public profile somewhat colouring what was already not my highest of regards of his music…“Dog Eat Dog” also was also pretty good.

I can’t say I disdain the living dog-turds out of Supertramp, but I’m not a huge fan of them either, with an ex overplaying them back in the 80’s possibly contributing to my not-too-keenness on them. However “Bloody Well Right” I could definitely abide by. And “School” was a good number.

Yeah, but in the part you omitted he also said:

He then went on to say:

So he agreed to play along, but also that he’d prefer a discussion. And toward that end he went on to explain what he did and didn’t like about the Doors and Jim Morrison.

I really don’t see much to criticize there.

Thanks. Nothing back-handed about my comments, GreenElf: I think Morrison is a sad, preening idiot who also made a few great songs. My opinion and one which fits the OP and which could be discussed as appropriate to the thread.

Other than his was by far the most backhanded compliment so far, and his original grievance was that it would be a thread consisting of backhanded compliments. :confused: It was just sort of a strange post to me.

Not a fan of Pink Floyd at all, but I like 2 tracks from The Wall:
Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2 (although I tend to turn it off during the ‘if you don’t eat your meat’ rant).
Hey You.

Shriekback gives me a headache, but I did like “Nemesis.”

Let’s try this again. I said that slamming a band who has a song you “don’t mind” can either be a drive-by one-liner, or something a bit more substantive. I offered something a bit more substantive. I don’t see the issue.

And: My comment is NOT a back-handed compliment. It is an insult, with added context and the acknowledgement, per the OP, that some of their songs are good. There is a difference.

I like This Is How You Remind Me because it’s the first Nickelback song I heard. Since all their other songs sound the same, I see nothing of further interest in them.

ftr: both backhanded compliments and direct, scathing insults are welcome, as long as they’re directed to the aural dreck in question, and not at posters (which would qualify as ashtray-bonking). And elaborations on one’s views are obviously welcome, but not necessarily a hard and fast rule, here. This might have been already clear, but I just wanted to make triple sure of that, that’s all.

ok…prepare to burp up some puke, because I don’t mind “Millenium” by that pre-packaged reprobate Robbie Williams.