Songs you like by bands/artists you don't

We all have them. Bands or solo artists that we just cannot stand. But they have one song that we love. Me, personally, I always hate admitting that to myself. A few come to mind right away.

1. Birdhouse In Your Soul” by They Might Be Giants. I’ve never been a huge TMBG fan, but I have listened to this song damn near continuously the last 2 days.

2. How You Remind Me” by Nickelback. It’s Nickleback. Do I need to explain that?

3. Kryptonite” by 3 Doors Down. It bothers me that I like this song so much, because I loathe the band.

4. What’s the Frequency, Kenneth?” by REM

What about you?

“Copacabana” by Barry Manilow. I hate Manilow, but the whole thing is so damn goofy.

“Time of Your Life” by Green Day
“Stranglehold” by Ted Nugent
“Wonderwall” by Oasis

Sorry” by Bieber. Yes, I know. I think it’s the horns.

Yeah, I dunno what to think of Bieber. I want to hate him, but he’s got great, catchy tunes.

Most of the bands/artists mentioned so far I like well enough (minus Nickelback). For me, it’s “Take It Easy” by the Eagles. I hate to say it with the recent news, but that’s my Eagles soft spot.

“Miracles” by Jefferson Starship. Don’t judge me.

Touch of Grey by The Grateful Dead.

A few by The Doors - Break on Through, People are Strange, Light My Fire, etc.

I hate the Doors and Jim Morrison’s pretentious, misgynist, douchebag persona, but respect the power of some of their songs and their place in rock history.

sorry: “misogynist”

Carry on.

“Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd.

“Money” by Pink Floyd
Also:
“All Through the Night” - Cyndi Lauper
“If It Makes You Happy” - Sheryl Crow

I’ve never had any use for Lou Reed, but always liked “Sunday Morning” and “Perfect Day.”

Atlas by Coldplay. I first heard it on the closing credits to one of the Hunger Games movies. Gives me goosebumps every time.

Back in the olden days (sometime in the '90s) there was a music store called HMV in my NYC neighborhood with a tiny stage in the corner. i was doing my usual weekend poking around and Marty Balin came in with a couple other musicians and did Miracles and some other songs. I guess they were promoting a new album. I had equal feelings of “has it come to this?” and “wow, this is awesome”.

You Can’t Always Get What You Want - The Rolling Stones

Ah, you reminded me. “Peace Frog” by the Doors.

The Shins, “The Rifle’s Spiral”

I heard this in a surf shop last year, and instantly fell in love with it (I love the video too). Powerful, evocative, moving.

But in the review that song thread, someone posted one of their other songs (without me paying attention to the name of the band, in my own typical estimable fashion), and I reviewed it, finding it bland/nondescript, boring/hookless, and lifeless, essentially. About a week later I put in The Rifle’s Spiral for someone else to review, only upon a search later that day discovering that I had already heard and reviewed the other song. I went and tried more of their stuff, and couldn’t find anything remotely like TRS in their catalogue.

And another one: Coldplay’s “Yellow.” Now, I don’t hate Coldplay or anything, they’re just kind of music that fades into the background for me–beige music-- but I do really like that song and when I first heard it, thought this was a band that would interest me. The one that Coldplay dislikers usually enjoy is “Viva la Vida,” but that truly is a song I hate and change the station. I don’t know what it is–those staccato string stabs and Christmas-like feeling of the chorus (I don’t know, but for whatever reason, the “Jerusalem bells-a-ringing” part just reminds me of a Christmas carol)-- but it drives me nuts.

I think we’ve done this before, but…

“Gimme Three Steps” by Lynyrd Skynyrd
“Jump” by Van Halen
“Africa” by Toto
“The Boys of Summer” by Don Henley

Side of a Bullet - By Nickleback - about the shooting of Dimebag Darrell