Sour cream recipes?

I aquired a free, unopened 16 oz. tub of sour cream from someone going on a long trip, and I need to use it all up and quick, as it is already near the expiration date. I never use it much except as a garnish or a topping, and I don’t want to make a dip and have to eat that much of it by myself. Any suggestions?

Beef Stroganoff takes sour cream. It’s very tasty and will keep a few days, if you would like to make a few meals of it.

I haven’t got a favourite recipe for it, but I’m sure you should have no trouble finding one online.

Pork chops in sour cream. Sour cream tacos.

Sour cream is a major ingredient in some wonderful cake recipes - here are 151 of them. I certainly haven’t made them all, but I have made the chocolate stout cake, and it’s gotten rave reviews every time.

Warning: if you make the stout cake, follow the recommendation of some of the reviewers and halve the recipe, unless you want 4 layers or 2 full bundt cakes - not that that would be a bad thing, unless you want to keep your coronary arteries functioning and/or you have a lot of hungry friends. :smiley:

I know you said no dips, but this one is really, really good.

2 cups cottage cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 can (3 1/2 oz.?) chopped black olives
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
4-5 green onions, chopped
1/2 tsp dill weed (more or less)
dash of garlic powder, celery salt, salt and pepper to taste (can be omitted).
Mix well and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

This “dip” goes well with Triscuits, Ry-Krisp, on a bed of lettuce, as stuffing for tomatoes or with a spoon right out of the bowl :). I’ve tried a few variations on this by adding chopped celery or diced ham or even a few drops of Liquid Smoke (mmmm, smoky [/Homer]).

Every time I’ve made this for others I’ve been asked for the recipe. No matter how much I make, there is never any left over. Enjoy.

Moved to CS.

-xash
General Questions Moderator

I always make mine using McCormick’s spice packet. It’s a quick and easy meal and it’s yummy, too.

I marinate the beef for about an hour before I cook it. Drain off any liquid left over after its done (though you could use a little of it to bump up the flavor.) Add a cup of water and the McCormick’s powder. It cooks for about ten minutes. Take off the burner and add the sour cream. The sour cream part is not an exact science. Hubby and I like to use more than the recipe actually calls for. I suggest you just “add to taste.”

This isn’t going tohelp much in using that much sour cream up, but if you like tomato soup, whisk in a tablespoon of sour cream.

mmmm…almost like a bisque.

Chicken Paprikas is really good. In a large pan or dutch oven cook a minced onion in 2 TBSP oil until soft (but not brown). Take off heat, add 2 TBSP sweet paprika, and stir. Add a cut up chicken and cook covered over medium low heat until chicken is done. There should be a good deal of juice in the pan, if not add some water or chicken broth. Add 1 TBSP flour to 1/2 cup sour cream and stir into chicken and onion mixture. Cook 2-3 minutes more until sauce is thick. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice or noodles.

Use good quality Hungarian paprika.

Good fruit dip for fresh fruit. I don’t think I’ve found a fruit that this doesn’t taste good with.

Sorry the measurements are guesses, since I do it to taste. Just make so it tastes right to me :).

1 cup sour cream
teaspoon vanilla
2-3 tablespoons of brown sugar

Mix and let mellow for an hour. It should have a slightly off white colour and the sugar should all be dissolved.

I concur. This recipe is perfect for using up sour cream, everybody loves it, and this man knows how to make authentic paprikash (taking it off the heat to guard against the paprika burning is a key safety measure). You should be able to find Pride of Szeged brand Hungarian paprika in a decent grocery (at least you can around here). That’ll work fine. Just make sure you buy the sweet paprika–that’s what Hungarians use in this dish. The traditional accompaniment are galuska/spaetzle noodles.

This recipe is fairly typical. I make a dough that is viscous, but not too thick. Think thicker than pancake batter, but not thick enough to mold. The dough is then pushed through a dumpling strainer that looks like this.

Here’s a pretty good idea of how thick the dough should be. My recipe link suggests cutting the galuska into pieces, but I suggest improvising with anything around the house (a colander with big holes will do, for instance), if you don’t happen to have a spaetzle maker lying around the house.

Here’s an excellent chicken/beef stroganoff recipe that takes a goodish amount of sour cream and is quick to make.

INGREDIENTS:

Chicken or beef, cut into strips/chunks
Sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of broccoli soup
1/2 medium-sized onion, chopped
1 package of mushrooms (about 10-12 good-sized ones), sliced
Rice or noodles, your choice.
***Before beginning, ensure you start cooking your rice or noodles, as the rest of this only takes about 10-15 minutes until ready to serve.

1. In a large frying pan, cook chicken on medium heat until it is no longer pink (or beef until it is cooked to your taste), or about 3 minutes.

2. Add 1/2 chopped onion and sliced mushrooms to pan. Cook until vegetables reach desired tenderness, or about 2-4 minutes.

3. Add 1/2 can of cream of chicken soup and 1/2 can of cream of mushroom soup, and mix with vegetables and meat.

4. Add about 1-2 heaping tablespoons of sour cream, depending on your taste.

5. Let simmer for 2 minutes and serve on top of rice or noodles.

Deeeeelish!

Thanks. My wife’s Hungarian great aunt taught me to make this along with pork szekely, soska, souse’s soup (also know as sour soup), and other Magyar mainstays.