Soy Hot Dog

Another true hot dog connoisseur. Ballparks are our favorites too. Hmmm - I’m now thinking macaroni and hot dogs for dinner tonight! YUMMM!!!

Luckily, Dominick’s has been having some tremendous sales on them lately - buy one get two free, buy one get one free, $2 a package - we have about 30 packages in our freezer right now. :smiley:

I did a search for “Smart Dogs Meatless Fat free franks” and found this page. Some of the product names don’t sound so appealing to me. Fakin’ Bacon Marinated Smoky Tempeh Strips and Foney Baloney are two of them.

“Wonderdog”.
That’s what I call one of our Shelties. Yuck.

I guess I’ll call her “Tofu Pup” from now on.
:slight_smile:

Hee. We dare each other to eat Smartdogs at picnics. Some poor well-meaning person (usually a carnivore) always brings them for the veggies, but nobody likes them.

Only one word for hot dogs here in the Whia household: Nathan’s. Best. Hotdogs. Ever.

Wise, very wise. You do not want to spend time in a room with a dog that has consumed soy dogs.

Because it makes them irritable, or flatulent?

The latter, it will burn the hair right out of your nostrils.

OMG - you are my new hero. I forgot about that meal…a childhood favorite. Maybe I’ll give it a try again this weekend.

Something delicious I grew up with was Loma Linda Foods vegetarian meat.

They are totally delicious, but taste different from real meat. Very enjoyable when appreciated as their own thing.

I especially like Linkettes.

Missy2U

If you’re going to have macaroni and hot dogs, don’t get pasta made from soy.

We let a health food sales clerk talk us into a box of that stuff. He promised it tasted good. Right.

We went home, my wife made ‘spaghetti’ with it, and we both gagged and nearly threw up. Horrible, horrible stuff.

Don’t worry - it’s only Kraft for us - in the Blue Box - with the foil packet of cheesy goodness. :smiley:

Quasi Haiku time!

Soy hot dogs.
Taste like ‘real’ hot dogs.
Just as nasty.

Soy burgers.
Not really like ground meat,
but still good.

Soy sausage.
Mmmm. mmm…
Breakfast.

Soy bacon.
Tears of sadness.
Not even close.

What? I have to move?

Our local co-op makes a club sandwich that includes the fakin’ bacon. It doesn’t really taste like bacon and the texture is completely different, but the flavor still goes well with the tomato, mayo, lettuce and (sometimes) avocado. As long as you think of it as marinated tempeh, rather than inadequate bacon, it’s fine.

Smart Dogs are the absolute worst! I had to toss them after eating only 2 out of the package, and I’m damn cheap.

Another vote for Morningstar Farms breakfast sausage. Especially dipped in maple syrup. Yum. And as far as the real meat dogs go, I am extremely fond of Trader Joe’s Best in Show uncured beef dogs. They’re so good that I can ignore the ridiculous name.