Star Trek Discovery Season 3 (Open Spoilers)

Likewise. I first thought my display was on the frizz, before I accidentally hovered over it…

Today is Vic Taybacks birthday…which made me wish that when DISCO had emerged in the 32 Century, they had found that the Iotians had indeed come for A Piece of the Action and now ran the Federation.

My first thought was that the sphere became the Powerpuff girls.

Heh, they were even different colors.

And what exactly did the AI superintelligence accomplish anyway? I thought they’d have a plan, get something done by cleverness or subterfuge. Maybe they’ll infiltrate the computer and drop shields, disable weapons, etc. Maybe they’d pretend to be simple repair-bots allowing them access the crew wouldn’t. As far as I saw, they charged the enemy and got two of the three destroyed almost immediately. “Super” intelligence.

The Vulcan Chekhov’s Gun was introduced last week’s episode, but this week, the Vulcans showed up and did nothing AFAIK. Worst Chekhov’s Gun ever.

I like this show enough to watch it. With the COVID problems, entertainment is harder to come by, but I haven’t rewatched an episode since season one. They make some odd choices.

So apparently Discovery is a TARDIS, with a massive internal empty space where turbolifts are actually small shuttlecraft?

Yeah, seems like an awful lot of wasted space on a ship.

So how much of the crew has brain damage from lack of oxygen?

I’m at a loss for words… what utter dreck.

I’d say most of them.

Oh, wait–you meant after this episode.

This episode was badly written!

“We’ll find a way to help you be seen — truly seen — by everyone.”

I’ll say it again, Discovery, you are a master of subtlety.

To be fair that’s more or less canon for years. The turbo-lifts are not like our elevators that they travel through a shaft.

They were in TNG. I remember Picard climbing through a turbolift shaft.

why would they even need to move? (the turbolifts) - with instant, personal transporters - you don’t need to waste space on archaic elevator technology.

What they did with it last nite was just plain stupid - there’s not that much space between decks.

Well they certainly threw everything at this one, didn’t they. I may not have been paying the closest attention, but I feel like half the time I didn’t have any real idea what they were doing, and why. Most things just didn’t really seem to go anywhere—the Vulcans (sorry, ‘Ni’Var’)? The sphere data bots? Well I guess cute robots always worked for Star Wars… How could Discovery hold her own, shooting around within the Federation headquarters? I mean, OK, most of the fleet was gone, and they’ve been retrofitted, but still, it’s one ship against a bubble full off… stuff. It should at least be a starbase worth of firepower in there.

And that was honestly Osyraa’s plan? Propose negotiations and start shooting if that doesn’t work out?

One thing I’m grateful for, though—after Michael came out of… whatever techno-goo Osyraa had pushed her into, my first thought was, great, now she’s bound to get superpowers. In fact, I thought she’d gain the ability to operate the spore drive (because sphere data something something). But oh no, that got conveniently solved another way.

And in the end, of course—Michael, Michael, Michael. For ostensibly trying to sell the message that we’re all in this together, that it’s our connections that matter, and y’know, live laugh love and stuff, they sure always find a way to make everything just get back to Michael Is Awesome.

‘Trust me - we got this - with an insane plan to blow shit up’

Yes and in that very episode another officer said she managed to reach the bridge by walking through the turbolift spaces, she expressly said that the turbolifts moved sideways as well as up and down.
I agree the spaces shown last night were silly.

So I just saw someone on reddit said well that explains why Michael and Tully have to share a room, LOL.

I think pretty much the only purpose of the Vulcans was to be the plot device that allowed Michael to give her “you can trust me” speech to Vance which in turn gives him the flimsiest of pretenses to make her captain at the end. And I think pretty much the only purpose of the sphere/dots was to be the plot device that saves Owo.

It worked for Superman III.

Seriously, you can just push someone into a data core like it’s a giant Pin Art? The Federation doesn’t believe in safety railings? What is this, the Death Star?

Alright, so I just watched Episode 12 and about three quarters of Episode 13.

At that point I had to walk away, and I’m not sure when I’ll be returning to finish it. The point at which I said “I cannot go on” was when the crew retakes the bridge and Tilly says to Michael Burnham, “You must command us, Oh All Knowing One, Supreme Being of the Universe,” or words to that effect.

I don’t have the heart to go through everything that was so terrible about this shit, and I assume the last 15 minutes won’t be any better. I can’t wait for another season of Lower Decks, which is real Star Trek. I will say or ask these things tho:

1. There is a scene early in E12… or E13? I don’t know, but Burnham tried sending a message to her mother (that’s a hell of a personal communications device.) I guess that’s why the Newly Named Vulcans showed up. Anyway, the scene encapsulates everything bad about this show. That sequence should have been 10, 15 seconds long. She gets a comm channel, calls for help, gets off, next scene. Instead it was 30, 35 seconds long; she calls for help and then there’s a tearful goodbye and I love you scene.

That’s bad filmmaking. There is no need for emotional exposition there, and 15, 20 seconds MATTERS. It changes the pacing of the episode and it reduces the amount of plot you can fit into the show.

How long do you think a scene in in a movie or a TV show? I don’t mean shots, and I’m not counting stuff like establishing shots as separate scenes; I mean distinct sequences. It’s about one every 2 minutes, actually, ranging for 10-20 seconds to quite a bit longer. A one hour show should have at least 25-30 scenes. Time is of the essence. Not everything has to be at a breakneck pace, but every second on screen matters. A moment on screen doesn’t have to have frenetic action at all times but it must do something, even if it’s a moment to reflect on something or dwell on an image. What did Burnham saying “I Lurve You Mommy” contribute? Is that a secret? Was there a lack of tearful emotion in this show?

1. Am I the only person aware that this whole goddamn battle could be blamed on the Federation? I mean, say what you will about Osiraa or however you spell it, maybe she’s a bitch but she came with a deal. And then… why did they reject it again? The admiral’s reasons were that the Chain’s ambassador had to be a totally independent FROM the Emerald Chain, which makes no sense at all and defies the purpose of an ambassador, and that Osiris/Osyrah/? had to go on trial. Well, that’s a way to make peace. Start shootin’!

2. Holy fuck the fighting was SO BORING. You know what parts of Star Trek never interest me? People punching and kicking each other.

I honestly couldn’t for the life of me figure out where the fuck they were. I had to stop, rewind, and try to reorient myself. I was like “Wait, are they on Osirah’s ship now Is this the starbase? Where the hell is this?”