Catspaw from TOS was literally a Halloween episode.
Bonnie Tyler was not a Klingon!
Very silly episode but better than last week’s.
Formal peachy.
I enjoyed it. The stuff with Spock and Kirk was especially fun.
I really hope they green light the follow up show.
I don’t have Paramount, but I did see the Klingon “Total Eclipse of the Heart” which I like – I also liked Major Tom (Coming Home) in Huttese* – there are some Sindarin songs out there, but didn’t find any pop songs in a VERY quick search.
From what I read Rebecca Romijn worked hard to get the pronunciation correct.
Brian
* It was not a literal translation, some of the lyrics were modified to fit “Skeleton Crew”
Other songs:
Yellow Battlecruiser
Romulan Rhapsody
Let it Go
Honor or Cowardice
Smells Like Bad Bloodwine
Aim for the Second Heart
So, the karaoke selections are described as “Klingon Power Ballads”. It reminds me of the claim in one of the TOS movies that Shakespeare was a Klingon. Is Klingon appropriation of Earth art a running gag in Trek? Have they convinced the rest of the Federation these are Klingon songs, or do they just indulge them in the pursuit of peace?
If the Klingons are supposed to be Space Russians, this is just the old gag that (supposedly :p) the USSR claimed to have invented everything first, e.g., baseball:
I thought she did a really good job and I’m glad they gave her the encore in the form of showing her performance over the closing credits.
Bat’leth Out of Hell was just sitting there…
I’m mixed about the direction this show has gone. Giving it credit if this was Lower Decks then I’d be accepting its goofiness without a problem (albeit they’d likely have some better jokes going), but I don’t think a live action prequel is able to work well with the goofiness dial turned to eleven.
I think the physics in the latest episode might be a bit iffy.
What bothered me was they essentially just filed the serial numbers off the TV show Obliterated.
I’m surprised they didn’t find Ken Jeong in the trunk of the shuttle.
We are almost halfway through the season and I am not that impressed so far. I found this week’s episode to be rather boring and far fetched.
I don’t remember disliking an episode of this show so much. The B&W was so pretentious and added nothing to the story. Yeah, I get it, you want to wink at Casablanca…over and over and over again. The Mat’Aaran national anthem had me reaching for the remote.
I didn’t think it was great, but as a standalone bit of fun, a break from some quality eps that developed the characters (no Ortega and Scotty now being buds doesn’t meet that), was building some tension, or at least made us think, it would have been tolerable. But that is not the rest of the season so far … and don’t we still have a Muppet episode to come?
I think you earn the goofy breaks by having characters that are interesting. And these ones this season simply are not.
I enjoyed hearing Mystique say “I know how to pretend to be something I’m not.”
Unfortunately, that was pretty much the highlight.
In the movie, it goes like this:
KIRK: Where’s Doctor Marcus?
DAVID: I’m Doctor Marcus!
CAROL (OC): Jim!
KIRK: Is that David?
so Kirk sees an appropriately aged guy named Marcus and immediately knows who he is.
And then later, as you say:
KIRK: I did what you wanted. …I stayed away. …Why didn’t you tell him?