Strange Planet: the series

For those not familiar with it, Strange Planet is a (typically) 4–panel comic reframing normal day-to-day activities by showing them experienced by aliens that narrate the activities using stilted language. Some of them are pretty funny, some fall pretty flat. (Samples.)

This is soon to be a series on Apple+. I’m really apprehensive about it being able to translate well to video. (See: the The Far Side animations.)

I’m a huge fan of the comics. I have both books and there’s a plush being on a shelf in my living room (all Father’s Day gifts from my kids).
I share your skepticism about the series but I’ll definitely give it a chance. The trailer didn’t do much to alleviate my concerns.
I think the brilliance and charm of Strange Planet is in its simplicity and from that it’s insight into what’s it means to be human. I worry that stretching those little four frame moments into a longer story will destroy the things that make it special. The trailer looks like just another cartoon trying to be hip and clever. I really hope it proves to be better than that but I guess we’ll see.

I dunno–Alien Newsdesk did the same, & was topical.
It was quickly cancelled.

The first three episodes dropped yesterday. I enjoyed them.

The first episode revolved around the lead singer of a four-being music band leaving the group, causing a crisis for the remaining three members. A young couple who’d been inspired by their music wonders if their relationship can continue without anything to follow, and meanwhile a flight attendant gets promoted to supervisor and suddenly has to deal with being a boss.

The second episode deals with “creatures”, animals, and is broken up into three stories as well. The A-story involves a guy coming to the aid of a female restaurant manager he has a crush on by agreeing to care for her asthmatic cat when she’s forced to stay for the evening shift when her coworkers call out. All hell breaks loose. We see the restaurant manager dealing with crises in the restaurant at the same time. And across the street from the manager’s house lives a boy who’s insistent that he wants a pet raccoon.

And the third episode takes place at a restaurant that’s built precariously over a cliff. A double eclipse of the planet’s two moons is upcoming, and people are hesitant to make important decisions during the coming weeks, citing superstition. Nevertheless, a guy takes a job as a waiter at the restaurant there, and is onboarded, while the elderly owner tries to think of an attraction for the vacant balcony.

All three episodes were delightful. I think the first episode will lend itself best to repeat viewing, being as it’s a musical. I also liked the one about creatures.

I think the term “adolescent limb-shake” vaulted the large toothy saltfish.