Strangest food you've eaten recently?

Head chesse?

Good God, I hope not.

Did it look like this, Jodi?

Sort of, but the meat chunks were bigger, all one color/type, and there was also more clear gelatin area. You people are not helping me overcome my trauma by making me think I ate head cheese! :wink:

Deep-fried shrimp heads. I went out for sushi with a friend and let him do the ordering. He snuck these in by asking for them with some sort of super-secret codeword. He asked me to eat one before he would tell me what it was, and I was game. He thought I would freak out but I’m too logical for that. Restaurants generally serve edible, tasty things. I knew that the only danger was that it might not be tasty, so I bit right into it. It was good, though the sauce they dribbled on them was too sweet.

I’m afraid I have some bad news.

ahem

Anyway, I tend not to eat anything too bizarre, if only because while I am always willing to try different, I begin to have serious reservations when different is served up as bizarre.

Maybe the oddest thing I had in the last few years was shrimp. Not that shrimp itself is odd, it was just the way it was prepared. I had it at a Vietnamese Pho joint, and it was prepared whole (it had not been shelled or deveined) and was literally crusted in salt. It was like trying to eat something that had been passed away and spent some time floating atop the dead sea for several weeks.

What did you think you were ordering, Jodi?

Acorns!

Sounds to me like Jodi had what the Ukranians call studenina. It’s usually jellied pig’s feet, but often also contains chicken as well. As usually prepared, the pig’s feet and chicken are boiled together until the meat falls apart. The bones and cartilage are discarded. The meat and broth are chilled resulting in “meat jello.” It’s served dusted with paprika and black pepper.

Funny you should ask – within the last 10 days I’ve eaten ostrich, kudu and springbok. All grilled totally rare.

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten anything strange. Oh sure, things like Rocky Mountain Oysters, raw elk liver, snails, rattlesnake, ostrich (tasted like sweat), alligator… normal stuff like that, but nothing strange like sea cucumber, tofu, or raw urchins (of any type).

I guess I’m boring.

I’ve had everything you’ve mentioned except the raw elk liver. I’m not likely to have it any time soon, either. I do hope to have some elk pretty soon though.

Alton Brown’s “Feasting on Asphalt” featured a sausage place that still made head cheese. If what you made was from commercial US maker, there’s no head in it anymore. That’s, apparently forbidden by the food regulators now. It’s all standard cuts of meat (musculature).

I had cuttlefish prepared “Venetian style” (in Venice). It’s cooked with squid ink, and is black as paint. Tasted good, but was a little too salty.

I’ve eaten raw sea cucumbers - taken from the sea, chopped up, rinsed and handed to us with a bottle of soy sauce. They tasted like briny erasers.

Each one thing is not odd but the other day my husband ate hot cakes with kimchee on them. EWWWWW.

Crow.

It doesn’t taste good.

Goose grease? Really? I didn’t know goose was greasy.

I had azuki bean soup for dessert in a Cantonese restaurant in Rosemead a month or two ago. It may not be weird compared to some stuff in this thread, but it was entirely removed from anything I had ever experienced. It was also incredibly tasty.

Roe, raw red snapper, and eel, for dinner on Friday night. I liked the red snapper and the eel, and some of the side dishes. I really didn’t like the roe. But I was being adventurous, dammit.

Ostrich jerky is a delicacy in Southern Arizona. I’m serious.