Street Fighter 4 Bitches!

Dunno, haven’t played one. Smash Bros is pretty popular, though.

Street Fighter requires 6 buttons. Sure, the Genesis did it with 3 (did they have the 6 button controller out by then?), but it didn’t work well.

I had a chance to play the console version this weekend and OH MY GOD did they improve the hell out of the game. They sped it up like no one’s business (so it’s actually comparable to the previous games now) and up’d the difficulty (I beat it on medium with Ken/Ryu though Seth is ridiculously harder than he was in the arcade, beat it on Easy with Abel, but I can’t even beat it on easiest with C.Viper :o )

Anyway, overall I’m very pleased with the changes they made, and all the characters they brought back (like Dhalsim, Blanka, Fei-mofo-Long, and a bunch of others who weren’t in the arcade) but I wish they’d kept the ability to choose your super specials like you could in the previous ones. I don’t like Ryu’s fireball Super/Ultra specials, I rather liked the slow shoryuken he used in 3 (though I grant I’m more of a ken than a ryu fan generally speaking and Ken’s shoryuken special remains intact)

hahaha. I know exactly what you mean, my long-term girlfriend back in college (3 years) was exactly like that. She specifically got good at Zelda in Super Smash Bros because she was “the prettiest”. Anyway, good luck with that (C. Viper sucks anyway, so I don’t blame your girly)

Wait, they took OUT Dhalsim, Blanka, Fei Long, and others in the arcade? That’s a sham!

The Ken/Ryu players are wearing me out online. In the ranked matches I’d say that 85-90% of the people I play choose Ken or Ryu. They all use the same tactic too so it takes away from the fun of beating them over and over. I use Guile as my main with Fei Long as my secondary. If someone chooses Ken or Ryu I always go with Guile in ranked matches but if they are sporty and try other characters I always do the same.

I’ve found that people are NEVER ready for Guiles mid-air throw. EVER. They jump into it every single time. The only thing with him is you have to keep the initiative right from the beginning because once you lose it it’s hard to get it back. Full court press all the way. Though I won’t trap people against the side of the screen for more than one throw, unless they do it to me.

I’ve also found people are borderline exploiting Akuma’s Ultra and Roses throw.

As far as the focus counters go I haven’t experienced any knockdown counters. You have to charge the move for a few seconds for it to drop you and very few people do it. I can also cut through it with Guiles Flash Kick.

They REALLY need to fix the goddamn lobby system though. It reapeatedly populates the list of availible fights with fights that are full so you can’t get in. It takes me 10+ trys just to find a single ranked fight that it will let me in.

I like the Battle Point system for ranked matches. If you lose, you lose points permanently. IF you win you win points. The wider the gap between the players BP the more the match is worth to the lower BP player and the less it’s worth to the higher BP player.

Great game. WAY better than I ever expected it to be.

They should have left him out for the home version of this one because he SUCKS.

hmmm, just wiki’d it and i guess not, they only added Fei-Long, Sakura, Cammy, Gen, Rose, and Dan (and Akuma, Gouken and Seth as playables) for the home version, so I guess Dhalsim and Blanka were in the arcade.

Focus counters are kinda lame, though much faster in execution than they were in the arcade version. Still, I miss SF3’s parry system, it actually took skill and made anything you did have an added air of danger if you were up against someone who could parry well, or if you relied on the same moves over and over again. You can cut through a focus counter with any double jab (lp or lk) or any double hit (Ryu’s pickaxe kick, for example)

How many fighters are in this version?

The classic controller for Wii has 6 buttons, but I don’t know if they would release a game that couldn’t be played with the wiimote (obvious exceptions like Wii Fit aside.) I guess they could package it.

Yes, same deal with Soul Calibur…the Wii controllers are just terribly insufficient for fighting games and porting SC4 to the Wii would suffer as a result (though the Gamecube controllers work very well still for SC2).

damn…slow…work…internet…connection…

Arcade had 16 (playable, plus Akuma, Gouken, and Seth as boss characters), home has 25, all playable). They are:
Ryu
Ken
Chun-li
E. Honda
Blanka
Dhalsim
Zangief
Guile
Balrog
Vega
Sagat
M.Bison
Abel
C.Viper
El Fuerte
Rufus

(arcade boss character, unlockable/playable in home)
Gouken
Akuma
Seth

(home version only)
Dan
Fei-Long
Cammy
Sakura
Gen
Rose

oddly enough, and this confused the hell out of me, some of teh names are different in Japan. Balrog is M.Bison in Japan, Vega is Balrog, and M.Bison is Vega. weird japaneses…

It’s sort of comforting to know some things never change.

Yes. This happened all the way back with the original SF2. The character the U.S. knows as Balrog was named M. Bison in Japan as a reference to the real life American boxer who resembles him. But Capcom USA, concerned about being in the same country as a potential litigant (look at what Uri Gellar did when he saw Alakazam/Un-Gellar, after all), did the name swaps.

Frankly, I like the U.S. arrangement better, maybe because I’m an American who grew up with it.

Is it just 4 bitches or can any 1 play?

[QUOTE=oddly enough, and this confused the hell out of me, some of teh names are different in Japan. Balrog is M.Bison in Japan, Vega is Balrog, and M.Bison is Vega. weird japaneses…[/QUOTE]

Yeah, legend has it Capcom originally named the boxer in SF2 after a certain other famous real life pugilist. When they ported the game to the US they changed the names to avoid legal issues. Why the three way switch, I don’t know. Maybe they thought “Balrog” wasn’t a suitable name for the leader of Shadaloo.

As to why the game wasn’t slated to appear on the Wii, let’s not forget that Nintendo’s little wonder isn’t on the same level horsepower wise as the 360 and the PS3. Aside from the control issues the graphical standards may have needed to be scaled back. There’s a reason the Wii has seen so many PS2 ports.

Not passing judgment mind, but Capcom may have not wanted to deal with the differences in in architecture that the Wii presented. Not to mention that SF is usually classified as hardcore as opposed to a casual game. (Personally I think these distinctions are pointless, but the market makes them nonetheless).

I also see that Leaper made the same connection I did, but I’m leaving it in anyway. :wink:

I think that happens with a lot of games, but SF4 doesn’t exactly look to be pushing the graphics envelope. I saw better looking things on Xbox1, and Wii is at least as powerful as Xbox1.

Yeah, I haven’t played SF4 yet so I can’t speak from personal experience but I know the Wii is at least as powerful as the original Xbox. My understanding is that the Wii inhabits a level in between the last generation and the current one, (the 360 and PS3). I recall reading that the Wii’s architecture is based on the Gamecube’s with updated components.

If the Wii can handle it there’s no reason that SF4 shouldn’t be appearing on the system. Personally, I think the Wii needs more high profile releases and less shovelware. I don’t currently own one, but the system deserves more attention from developers other than the big N. That’s a discussion for a whole other thread though. (I’m not hijacking!) :wink:

The Classic controller is a remade SNES controller. I don’t think that Nintendo would make a special controller for some Wii version f Street Fighter 4, though. What could it be?

Waaaaaay back when, M. Bison is supposed to be like “Mike Tyson”. When Street Fighter 2 was released in the states, Mike Tyson was going through the rape trial. In order to not draw any parallels, they changed the names.

Oh Please come to the PC!

June, I think