Studio Albums That Get Their Name From A Title Track That's A Cover Version

A couple weeks ago, on the way home from work, WFUV played a song I’d never heard before. I assumed it was new and wasn’t all that impressed by it - until the DJ, Corny O’Connell, backlisted the set. “That was Tony Trischka & Alison Krauss doing a cover of Fleetwood Mac’s ‘World Turning’ from the 1993 album of the same name”.

I decided to look at the album in greater detail today on AMG, and my assumption that the ‘World Turning’ album was a collection of covers was incorrect. Though a good portion of the songs are traditional, Trischka wrote 1/2 of them and the only contemporary cover song on the album is the title track, ‘World Tuning’. In other words, not only does Trischka play a pretty decent banjo, he doesn’t suffer from an inflated ego.

Though I’m certain there are plenty, I can’t come up with even one other non-tribute, studio album that takes its name from a title track that’s a cover version, can you? My hunch is there are probably quite a few from the blues genre - because songs get covered quite more often.

Come on, drop em here.

I think your hunch is correct.

All Blues: album by trombonist Dick Griffin, named for a Miles Davis song
Soul Serenade: Derek Trucks Band album, song originally by King Curtis

As I suspected, there are a number of blues albums called Stormy Monday after the T-Bone Walker song. Kenny Burell, John Mayall and Big Joe Turner are among the entrants.

If you include artists that don’t write their own songs, the list is long. For instance:

Joe Cocker, “With A Little Help From My Friends,” “Jamaica Say You Will,” “Civilized Man,” & “I Can Stand a Little Rain.”
Louis Armstrong, “Hello, Dolly”
Ella Fitzgerald, “Hello, Dolly”
B.B. King, “Let the Good Times Roll”
Delbert McClinton, “Let the Good Times Roll”
Frank Sinatra, “Come Fly With Me”

More in tune with what you’re looking for:

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, “Pictures at an Exhibition”

Bonnie Raitt’s album “Silver Lining” is a David Gray cover.

You could also consider Patty Griffin’s “1000 Kisses” which is the translated title to the cover song “Mil Besos” (which she recorded in the original language) which is a song by Emma Elena Valdelamar.

Another one is Cheryl Wheeler’s “Defying Gravity” which is a Jesse Winchester song.

Nanci Griffith’s “Storms” is the only cover on that album which is a song written by her ex, Eric Taylor.

Are these all songs that had been recorded before (by their writers or someone else,) or just songs that weren’t written by the artist. Because to me, it’s not just a cover because the artist didn’t write his (or her) own song.

Which brings up another question… if there was a song that was previously recorded but never attracted much attention, and then a second artist records it and makes it a big hit, does it qualify as a cover then, and if not, where is the threshold set??

I think the threshold is set with the first person to play the song, writen by someone else or not, not the most famous. Thus, Elvis is doing a cover of Carl Perkin’s Blue Seude Shoes, whether people realize it or not.

I have an example of what i think you’re talking about. The song that Dolly Parton wrote and recorded (to some acclaim) that Whitney Houston redid on the Bodyguard soundtrack that was a million seller. I can’t remember the name of the song - just the situation.

Bruno Pelletier, Miserere.

Yes, I know. French. (Quebecois, rather, and the song is in Italian.) But it fits the criteria. The title song was originally done by Andrea Bocelli, I believe.

Move It On Over - George Thorogood and the Destroyers. Original by Hank Williams. Actually, every song on the album is a cover.

A good example of this is I Love Rock and Roll, orginally recorded by obscure (in the US, they had a TV show in the UK) British glam band The Arrows, but made famous by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. (And it was the title of her second album, qualifying it for this thread)

American III: Solitary Man, Johnny Cash (cover of Neil Diamond)
Heart Like a Wheel, Linda Rondstadt (cover of Kate & Anna McGarrigal)
Promised Land, Elvis Presley (cover of Chuck Berry)
Young, Gifted and Black, Aretha Franklin (cover of Nina Simone)

Some were, some weren’t. “Hello, Dolly” was first recorded for the Broadway soundtrack, so Armstrong and Fitzgerald came later. “Let the Good Times Roll” was a Louis Jordan song (though King did not perform it on the album). “Little Help” and “Jamaica Say You Will” were originated by the Beatles and Jackson Brown. I don’t know about the other Cocker songs, but the Sinatra one was definitely introduced by him.

Sure. I’d call a cover any song that was recorded by another artist first.