The argument that TERFs aren’t “real” feminists is a bit more nuanced than just “Bad people can’t have good ideas.” The arguments TERFs use to argue against trans rights are often based on premises that are at odds with things most feminists - including TERFs - agree are foundational to the philosophy. “Trans woman aren’t real women because they don’t have uteruses,” for example, is defining “woman” by referencing child-bearing ability, something most feminist would see as a fundamentally anti-feminist premise.
didn’t the suffragettes segregate if not ignore Black women at conventions? Did not SB Anthony et al argue that “educated White women deserve vote over ignorant Blacks” during struggle for Black suffrage?
She came from a Quaker family who were abolitionists, and grew up more progressive in terms of race than many others of her day.
At the time, Susan B. Anthony was almost universally reviled for her antiracist views. White historians, to prove their antiracist bonafides, have often ignored this fact, by taking her quotes out of context. Other white historians have focused entirely on Susan B. Anthony’s anti-slavery work and close relationships with black women, but ignored her willingness to work with racist suffragists. It is as if she is a proxy for our own struggle with racism.
But looking through a modern lens, she would be considered at least somewhat racist by today’s standards, and she did not fully support the idea of Black people voting.
As the movement progressed, others spoke loudly, including Susan B. Anthony, who stated, “I will cut off this right arm of mine before I will ever work or demand the ballot for the Negro and not the woman.”
Note that she wasn’t saying she didn’t want Black people to vote, but it would take a back seat to her personal cause of allowing women to vote, and she’d work with racists as long as they helped advance her greater agenda.
It would make sense if she and her colleagues accommodated their racist allies by enforcing segregation at their rallies and giving less of a voice to women of color.
Thanks for providing that context, @Atamasama. It’s trendy to talk down figures from American history, and that pastime is too often engaged in from a foundation of historical ignorance.
TERFs don’t call themselves that. But yeah, they often aren’t great feminists.
The important thing is that they promote transphobia from the left/liberal side. They took over the UK Labour party, which is their liberal/progressive/socialist party which is now horribly anti-trans.
And there’s a huge fear right now in the trans spaces I participate in that the US is heading that direction with all the Democrats coming out saying they support bans on trans girls/women in female sports, which apparently was one of the arguments they used across the pond.
And that is a very, very stupid liberal idea. The people saying it have liberal policies, so it’s copium to say they’re not “true liberals.” And Beshear may have actually got the trans vote by being the first prominent Democratic presidential hopeful to call all these people out.
Did not SB Anthony et al argue that “educated White women deserve vote over ignorant Blacks” during struggle for Black suffrage?
When and where did she say this?
When and where did she say this?
I think that was just a question and the answer is “no”.
“Did she not say” is more of a challenge with absolutely nothing to back it up. I would like to know the source of this “quote” we are being challenged with.
see Atamasama response uplink
Did not SB Anthony et al argue that “educated White women deserve vote over ignorant Blacks” during struggle for Black suffrage?
Your words sound suspiciously like an actual direct quote, rather than a general inquiry as to whether she thought African-Americans deserved the right to vote.
Actually, I think the stupidest democratic idea is very akin to the stupidest Republican idea, and that idea is to let the most extreme 15% or so of your group dictate the policy and direction of your whole group. This just gives the other side ammunition for their propaganda machine.
Democratic policies such as?
Yeah, I’m not seeing any situation where Democratic policies are being “dictated” by “the most extreme 15% or so” of Democrats.
Support for trans rights is a majority position among Democrats, for example.
Whether and under what conditions trans women should or could have separate sports competition categories from cis women, and how individual physiologies might affect those choices in different sports, is a complicated question that is going to require a lot of intelligent input from actual sports physiologists and sports competition organizers to come up with definitive answers to it. But none of that discourse requires referring to transgender (or intersex, for that matter) female athletes as “men in women’s sports”, which is what the asshole TERFs insist on calling them. Opposing that kind of inappropriate language is not an extreme-minority position for Democrats.
That’s a fact. I actually bowled with a trans woman. Before and after. The transition actually lowered her average quite a bit. It’s hard to adjust to body parts that didn’t used to be there and parts that are now gone. Not to mention different body and muscle mass.
These people act like thousands of pumped up jocks are dressing in drag just to compete in women’s sports. Morons the lot of them.
I got one.
Because I work in development for a nonprofit I’m on a lot of email lists for training webinars. This time I got one called, “What White fundraising culture is costing your organization.”
Reading a little further, examples of white fundraising culture include:
-leading every donor communication with scarcity and urgency
(not a good idea, but not sure how it’s related to race)
-centering donors over community dignity
(I’ll give them this one)
And then,
“Expecting BIPOC staff to perform gratitude and manage wealthy donors’ feelings as part of the job description.”
Excuse me? Do you know what fundraisers do for a living? Performing gratitude and managing donor feelings is a HUGE part of the job description.
How condescending is this to people of color? Do they just think BIPOC should be excused from a massive part of their job responsibilities?
Do they think at all?
I’m so tired of this shit.
And make no mistake, it’s white people driving this.
Sounds like a good deal of the “bigotry of low expectations” mixed in.
I’m not opposed to making nonprofits more racially inclusive. I’ve done a lot of work in that area.
I just find it hard to believe that having to thank donors is really high on Black people’s list of racial grievances.