Stupid pet peeves

My pet peeve is the overuse of quotation marks. We get memos at work where every third word is in quotes, just in case we can’t grasp the importance of the text. So instead of “we have some great new products arriving soon that will please your wedding and corporate customers and increase sales,” we have to suffer through " We have some great “new” products arriving “soon” that will please your “wedding” and “corporate” customers and “increase” sales. Drives me straight up the wall.

I can’t STAND those literary errors that are nearly universal.

Take, for example, the words your and you’re. Almost NOBODY seems to be able to wrap their brains around this. Why? I honestly don’t understand it!

Mispelling words, such as lose as someone else said, and even too which are just plain EASY to learn!
And climatic. IT IS NOT THE SAME as climactic. They could not be very much different if they tried. And they have been for many years!

:wally

MULTIPLE EXCLAMATION MARKS, QUESTION MARKS AND EVEN BRACKETS!

Unappropriate capital letters, commas and quotation marks that JUST DO NOT NEED TO BE THERE…

You name it, I HATE it.

Oh, and people who stomp ALL THE TIME. They all deserve to be shoved in a wheelchair just so the rest of us can keep our peace.

I hate it when someone screws up the words to a song they’re singing along with on the radio. And for some reason, if I’m in a car with this person, it’s even more offensive to me.

I also have to agree with everyone who has made mention of incorrect spellings i.e. their, they’re, there, to, too, etc. I admit freely that I have made mistakes in my day, but generally speaking, I can keep these rules straight. It’s really not that difficult.

On a similar note, I drives me insane when people make up their own words. For example, a woman I used to work with was telling me one day that her husband took her out for their anniversary, and the restaurant was so romantical!

Also, I can’t stand it when people try to sound smarter by using big words, but they end up pronouncing the word wrong or using it in the wrong context.

Dotted capital I is a letter in Turkish… as is dotless small i. :slight_smile:

What grates on my nerves? The word ‘utilize’.

This word can always be replaced with ‘use’ without changing the meaning. ‘Utilize’ is usually found in situatiions where someone wants to pad out their text and their pompous self-importence by using a three-syllable Latinoid monstrosity where a clear and simple alternative exists.

I agree on the spelling of you’re and your as it’s very easy to learn the proper rules. But I personally can not get the difference between chose/choose and words like that. Being dylesic add another problem to it.

If they are being lazy and writing in 1337 speak or using far too many ‘u’ and other shotcuts i just try and ignore them it wears out my brain trying to decipher them.

I have to second the one about people who run their windshield wipers too fast for the amount of rain that is actually coming down. I’ll also add that I hate when people leave their wipers running after it has stopped raining.

I also have to second the one about people who pause for several seconds before answering a question, or don’t acknowledge me when they clearly aren’t occupied with anything else. I had this problem with a co-worker. I’d ask him a question and I’d think he didn’t hear me, so I’d repeat my question. Again, no response. I’d ask him a third time, using a tone of impatience in my voice. Finally he’d say “I heard you” and finally answer my question, but then act upset that I got so impatient with him, as if he couldn’t understand my irritation.

I also have my share of spelling/grammar rants, many of which have been covered here. One I see too much of is people who spell “afraid” as “affraid.” I also see too much of “should of” instead of “should have” in the emails I get.

and dont even get me started on habitual users of “chat-ese” when ppl use lots of abbrev & dont use punc. or cap & mispel there posts alot u no & use chat acronyms & smileys indiscriminantly lol rotflmao :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Off-key singers and whistlers, enough said.

One pet peeve that seems to be pretty specific to me is to see a calendar that isn’t advanced to the next month when the month changes.

I know this list is hardly complete as I have more which other people will likely cover in their posts.

A tip for Little Bird. If you don’t trust that your posts will make it after you write them out, then write them out in advance in Notepad and then copy/paste it to the message board/forum you are using. If I am work I use Outlook to write my posts, (that way passers-by think I am just composing a work-related email message). I can also spell-check them this way.

I dislike heaving walking. If I’m in the house and I can hear someone walking, their heels hitting the ground…thump thump thump - it just grates on my nerves.

I detest being asked if I am crabby or in a bad mood. I can’t stand it. I’m rarely in a bad mood but if I am not overly happy, someone will ask me if I’m crabby. Another is being asked, “What’s wrong.” That’s an intentional period there. They don’t really ask a question, just want an answer so it is stated like a …statement. Bugs me.

Oh, and the sound of fingernails being clipped. Most of all when someone clips nails in the office.

Tibs.

D’oh!! That should be heavy walking.

“should of” “would of” etc drive me nuts. It doesn’t even make sense, people!!

People who leave streaks of food on thier eating utensils when they take them out of their mouth… ew.

I used to see this all the time in high school. “ROIIER SKATINg” nights were often organized.

Turn signals that stay on, long after the need for them has passed. Especially so when I’m in the car, but not driving. A close second, for back-seat-driving on my part, is failure to shift/high revving for no reason. Damn, shift to third already!

Toilet paper that goes under, rather than over, the roll. It’s just wrong.

I don’t think people should call themselves “otaku” and be proud of it.

I hate the phrase “latest and greatest”, especially the way some people throw it around all the time.

People who pace around in circles

“Himo” does not mean “pimp” (sorry, this probably makes no sense to most people here).

I hate it when people tell me to “smile!” when I am sitting working on something or even just walking around. I don’t need to walk around smiling all the time, I would feel like an idiot!
“It takes more muscles to frown than to smile!” grrrrr. I will smile when you leave, ok? (I think females get this more than males? It might be because I am the only female in my department, and also the youngest. I think I am supposed to be their cheerleader or something.)

Stupid, overused, trite comments just grate on my nerves.
“Hey, are you working hard, or hardly working?”
“Hot enough for you?”
“Think outside the box.”

The people who say these things then act like they have just said the most clever thing in the world.

If I start listing my pet peeves, I’ll forget why I’m happy, and then I’ll end up buying a shotgun and emptying a K-Mart.

Ohh boy. Here goes…
my pet peeves are as follows.

-People who rattle/crinkle plastic wrappers. Especialy the ones that crackers come in. It makes me want to crush their skull in a vice!
-People that blow bubbles with gum
-Those who pop said bubble loudly.
-Those who insist on kissing when gum is in their mouth :frowning:
-Gum, in general.
-People that use words that they obviously dont know the meaning of.
-Feet Draggers. For me, it takes more effort to drag my feet than to walk normally. Why do people do this?
-Gigantic, loose, sagging jeans. Just gross.
-Noisy eaters. People come factory equiped with lips for a reason!
-People who stare…openly…and dont blink when you stare back.
-Pick pockets/Petty theives. If youre going to steal somthing, at least steal somthing worthwile.
-People that insist on the toilet seat being up or down. It dont take that much effort to move it, and if you manage to fall in 'cause you didnt look, its your own damn fault.
-Loud, bratty kids.
-Rap music
-Pop music
-Country music
-“Supervisors” you know, the person who will watch you work, and tell you what you are doing wrong, but wont offer to demonstrate the correct way to do it.
-marajuana addicts.
-anime/jappanese paraphenalia addicts who are obviously NOT Jappanese. Especialy those who wear clothing covered in Oriental writing…most of the time, im sure they dont know what it says.
-People that insist on the Confederate flag being a symbol of hate
-Small dogs
-large quanities of cats (or any animal, for that matter)
-“ricer” hondas…you know, giant muffler, ton of stickers, but no parts to make it fast.
I could keep on going and going, but im going to stop. One of my biggest peeves has to myself, at times. Yes, somtimes i manage to piss myself off.

Sorry for ranting, but i needed to blow some steam. (relationship problems)

I hope this isnt a double post…i tried to do this earlier, but it wouldnt go through.

It’s a peeve, but it tickles me as it hurts my eyes:

SiGns that use UPpercaSe and loweRcasE letteRs, but in no order.

C’mon now, if you started using lowercase letters, don’t switch to caps midway through the word.

I have a coworker who moves her lips while you are talking to her…as if she was repeating your words. I stop talking, thinking she trying to say something…no, she’s listening. I start talking, her lips start moving…makes me insane. Then she starts twisting her hair around her finger.

Just an explanation…SOME of us sort of drag our feet a bit because of arthritis, or knee/ankle problems…not because we never learned to walk properly. Especially at the end of 12 hours on my feet, my knee just won’t bend as readily as it should, so I tend to walk a bit stiff-legged. Sorry if it bugs you…I don’t mean to offend.

My primary and longstanding pet peeve is people who are always late. There was a woman in one of my college classes that I detested purely for this reason. Every single day she would walk into class 5-10 minutes late disrupting the entire class as she tried to find a seat in the crowded room.

More recently those lengthy snippets of classical music that people have as cell phone rings drive me nuts. If I ever get a cell phone a swear I will set it on a normal ring tone.

Thank You! Both the Turn signal being left on & the Toilet paper being under bother me.

My biggest pet peeve is people who cannot keep their damn mouths shut during movies. You know who you are. You people who think that what you have to say is so hilarious, so important, so amazingly astute and wise and genius, that you absolutely must let everyone in the theatre know just how brilliant you are. Or you people who don’t pay attention and miss a part of the movie and then loudly ask what’s going on, causing ten other innocent viewers to miss the next part and ultimately resulting in mass cacophony. Or you people who leave your cell phones on because it’s such a status symbol and ooooh, you’re so cool with your customized Woody Woodpecker theme song ring, or because you are so ungodly important that you must answer all your calls and have conversations that ruin the movie for everyone else. Or you people who believe that the eight seats, and the corresponding footspace, surrounding your personal seat are yours and yours alone, so you lean back as far as possible and prop your feet up so as to kick innocent people in the back or the head and sling your arm around the back of my chair. Or you teenagers who giggle ceaselessly throughout the entire showing of a serious adult film. And all of you inconsiderate hoohas who defend your absolute lack of basic human decency and complete incomprehension of theatre etiquette with, “Hey, I paid $9 for this seat!” Hey, I paid $9 too!

Just shut up, okay? It’s the movie’s turn to talk, not yours.

I also hate when people violently gesture while speaking. We all get nervous, okay, but you can hurt yourself or others with your arms all akimbo like that. And while you’re speaking, you might want to simply state what you want to say instead of prefacing every statement with, “I think…it seems to me…it appears as if…based on my understanding…what I took this to mean…”. Just spit it out, and keep your goddamn limbs to yourself before you put someone’s eye out.