Subnautica

Oy vey. I can’t resist. I’ma take this bit by bit.

You’re going too deep for your equipment. Stick to the shallows.

There are limestone outcroppings everywhere in the shallows. Break 'em.

You’re going too deep. Stick to the shallows.

You’re going too deep. Stick to the shallows.

You build it, using the recipe you start the game with, and the stuff you find in the shallows

In the shallows. You can venture into the kelp forest if you’re feeling brave, and make some rubber, but don’t go deep.

There are.

What a strange complaint. Stick to the shallows.

Enemies are slow and do minimal damage in the shallows.

There is auto-healing. It’s slow. There’s also infinitely-regenerating medikits in your starting location.

It is really, really hard to get killed. In the shallows. Which is where you should stick, until you’ve explored it fully.

The shallows is a literal death zone in much the same way that your municipal swimming pool is a literal death zone.

Look around. Break limestone outcroppings.

There are no piranhas, or anything similar. Not in the shallows. The worst enemy you face in the shallows is farting manatees.

This is not true, in the shallows.

And yet, you are still implying that they somehow deceived you. I just checked, and neither the Steam page nor Unknown World’s homepage even mention Creative mode. They’re all about peril and survival and the clock ticking. I would normally let it go, because I understand that you’re just annoyed at the game, but it bothers me because the Subnautica devs are actually the single most open and honest dev team I’ve ever seen. They even opened their Trello board–where development tasks and bug fixes are tracked–for public viewing, so that anyone interested could see exactly what they were doing at any time.

Well, yes. It’s “Creative Mode”. It’s for creating things without having to worry about survival, just like Minecraft’s Creative Mode. If it were “Can’t die, just follow the story mode”, I’d expect it to be called something like “Story Mode”. (That wouldn’t be a bad thing for it to have, necessarily, but Creative Mode isn’t it.)

The scanner is the first tool in your blueprints when you start the game, and the first thing in the tools section on the fabricator. I just started a new game to verify it. It requires a piece of titanium and a battery, and if you scroll up to the battery, you see that it takes a piece of copper ore and two acid mushrooms (which it shows you a picture of). All of this can be obtained within about a 30-second swim from the lifepod.

I’ve been sugar-coating this, because you were clearly operating outside of your comfort zone and didn’t have many points of reference, but the truth is that, as survival games go, Subnautica is amazingly gentle. I could list numerous ways, but I will leave it at this: it gives you unlimited free healing items in your free, 100% safe starting base. It’s okay to not like survival games; you don’t have to exaggerate the difficulty to justify yourself.

It’s such a mystery, though. I really can’t figure out what kind of game that **DKW **is experiencing. For me, Subnautica is such a relaxing experience that I fire it up whenever I want to putter around in a low-stress environment. Aside from games with no threat element whatsoever, I can’t think of a less stressful game. So DKW’s description of the whole thing as a “literal death zone” is completely foreign. It’s like there’s some other, similar game with the same name but with the difficulty cranked up 100x.

I’m imagining climbing the ladder in the escape pod, jumping off toward the wreck, and swimming in a straight line, screaming all the while, until you die.

For eternity.

Is there a Kickstarter going for this righf now?? Cuz I’m a pretty casual gamer, but that sounds SCHAWEEEEET and I’m IN!

I disagree. Crashfish are more dangerous than gasopods. Pretty low bar to clear, though.

Agreed, and I think those were what are freaking DKW out (first time I got hit by one of those it kind of freaked me out as well.)

However, they’re a kamikaze nuisance and that’s it. There are two of them in one of the caves in the safe shallows, IIRC, and I think a third in another cave in the safe shallows. They protect the sulfur deposits. Once they die, you can get the sulfur. Also, in the beginning, you’ll be unlikely to trigger both in the cave because you only have so much oxygen before you need to surface. But even if you trigger both in one go, they do less than half your full damage. Which means you won’t die from them. And the unlimited medkits regenerate faster than they do and that’s even if you ignore the very slow healing you do without medkits, so you really can’t die in safe shallows. Plus, if you’re careful, you can slowly approach the sulfur deposit and when you trigger them swim away very quickly. If you do it right, they will explode without even making contact with you.

The only thing that remotely seems to have a hurry up factor is when a certain timer starts. You want to go to that location to get a huge clue as to what happened to get you into your predicament. But you really do have plenty of time to the point that you could swim there on top of the water with no upgrades whatsoever. (I used a seaglide myself.) If you don’t have a ship, don’t go below the water, though, because you will be going through some areas with dangerous creatures, but they’ll leave you alone if you stay on top.

Yes, there aren’t enough of them in one place in Safe Shallows to kill you, if you keep your health topped off. The noise they make does tend to be kind of panic-inducing, though, if you’re inclined to panic. Its pitch and volume changes tell your gut that something is coming your way fast, and it’s probably bad news.

They may be more of an actual threat in Below Zero, at least for now, as there are more of them in one place, and that place has other predators in it that can hurt you. However, you can easily have a seaglide before you encounter them; that makes you fast enough to avoid most of the damage.

This is the third time you’ve decided to post about HOW BAD THIS GAME IS AND OMG IT’S SO DIFFICULT AND SCARY AND THIS IS HORRIBLE, including AFTER saying there’s no way you can play this game AND people explaining that, no matter how easy the average gamer finds it, this game most obviously is NOT for you.
Do you have anything to actually add besides incessant whinging?

In the shallow, the sha-a-llow
In the sha-a-a-a-a-a-a-llow

Hardcore run 2.0 is finished, with resounding success. Just over twelve hours in,

I launched from the surface in Neptune,

ending the tyranny that is 4546B. I forgot how freaky the first interactions with the sea emperor were, especially as I got the first one as I was slinking past beasties in the Lost River. All told, the only significant issue (besides a few hours wandering around trying to find the entrance to the jellyshroom caves) was forgetting to build a PRAWN before heading to the Lava Lakes for drilling ion cubes. Granted, that led to Reaper Rodeo fun.

Sammy says hi, as do Nemo and Mabel. Eileen and Louie both waved from a distance, so I think we’re friends. Fireballs are sea dragon kisses, right?

With that run, I think I’m going to take a break again and wait for Below Zero to drop. I’ve heard a lot of good things so far, so I hope it doesn’t suffer from sequel letdown.

Chisquirrel - Well, not at the moment, but I would like to once again humbly request a method of making the cheats work. Here’s the link again. Where exactly do I have to press those four buttons to make the menu pop up?

I’m not sure what system you’re playing on, so I’ll address PC and consoles.

PC: Press the F3 key. This will pop up a panel in the game with some game information in it. At the top of this panel is a checkbox for “Disable Console”. Uncheck that, then press F3 again to close the panel. Once you have done that, pressing the ~ or Enter keys should bring up a text box in the bottom left that you can type the commands into. (You can do this at any time, but obviously it’s better to do so in a secure, air-filled space the first time, at least.)

I just verified that this works on PC.

Xbox and PS4: I believe that the command console is not accessible at all on the current Xbox and PS4 builds. Scuttlebutt suggests this is because the console companies don’t like players having access to development commands for security reasons, but I suspect that they also don’t like it because they don’t want to deal with achievement issues related to command use.

If the button combos on the linked site don’t bring up the command interface on your system, then you probably don’t have access to it.

Cheats were removed for consoles at launch.

Update: As of 1.0.0.34, dev menu and commands are back on consoles. (Also bladderfish are breeding again, so you don’t have to constantly munch on seaweed and eyeyes.) Patch notes here: https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/

My roommate just got this. I’m excited to play it, but am curious if both he and I can play separate games without overwriting the other’s.

Apologies if this was covered in this thread already, but I was trying to avoid spoilers and I don’t think I needed a whole new thread for this.

Thanks in advance!

I got tired of waiting for Below Zero (and I don’t want to play it 'til its story is complete), so I started replaying the original… for the third time. It’s been just long enough since my last playthrough that I’ve forgotten where some of the items are. I’ve been specifically trying to mix things up as much as I can to try to make it feel as “new” as possible.

Last time I built my first big base in the Grassy Plateaus, on top of one of the pillars. This time, though, I build my first base on the largest mushroom tree. I think the Grassy Plateaus is a much better location.

I’m also primarily using the Cyclops as my primary base- I’ve got the interior lined with as many lockers as I can fit. I built a bed, and planted a few trees inside for food. I’m just now getting to the point where I’m ready to move into the Lost River area- I’ve already mapped it out a bit with my Seamoth and dropped a line of beacons for navigation.

Last time I built my deep base at the Cove Tree (which made for great views, and it even had a few thermal vents for power), but I think this time I might move a bit further into the lava areas instead.

I’m surprised that, this many years later and this many replays, that it’s still as fun and addictive as it was the first time. The only thing that I don’t experience anymore is the terror- now I know that I can survive just about anything that hits me as long as I only get hit once.

Dude here made a Subnautica knife.

Ha, nice.

Now I just want a hot knife that cooks my food for me.