Suggestion: restore nested quoting

If we are counting votes, I’d like this as well.

this is functionality that is missed dearly.

Screw this. If you guys are going to make the quote button inconvenient, I will no longer be using it.

It’s honestly a shitty thing to do to just pop in, and despite the protest, go ahead and make the change.

And I’m quoting you in protest.

If you guys want to make my life inconvenient, I have no reason not to do the same to you.

Yay! xash, you rock!

You…do…realize that the board had this feature for years with no problem, right? I mean, vB broke a function and someone found a safe, easy fix for it.

Also…wah :frowning: . “Make your life inconvenient”? Snork :p. That post is full of pathetic. I wouldn’t consider having to walk an extra few blocks to the bus stop “making my life inconvenient”. Having to change the way that you cope with a button on a message board wouldn’t even show up on my radar.
PS–Thanks Xash! Much appreciated! :slight_smile:

You should only be excising contiguous blocks of well-formed text/script at a time. If you do this, you can’t end up with misattributed quotes.

Also, thanks, xash!

The reason is that people are limited on the number of IMs they can store, so the oldest messages in the discussion may not be there anymore. With regular message board threads, everything is still there, and it’s very easy to follow, just by clicking on the “>” next to the poster’s name on the “Originally quoted by” line.

While I agree with your sentiment, Giraffe, this particular argument holds no water. Quotes created by the quote button have the aforementioned “>” link, and there’s no searching or scrolling. Click on the “>” and you see the quoted post, with another “>” link to the post it quotes, and so on. And if you don’t wish to be troubled with pressing backspace to get back to where you were, use your center mouse button (or scroll wheel) to click the “>”, and the quoted post opens in another window (or tab, depending on how you set it up), which you can close when you’re done.

Ruffles BigT’s hair

You are adorable.

Thanks, xash. I liked it better the old way which is now the new way!

“Despite the protest”? Did you notice that most folks in this thread were in favor of the change, and thought it would make the quote button more convenient? You personally don’t have veto power over anything on the board, you know.

Argh. Me eyes hurt.

It does take a little getting used to, and a little care to ensure proper attribution when editing, but those are miniscule annoyances compared to the cutting and pasting previously required. (With an equal but different likelihood of misattribution.) I think I like it.

Good move, administration!

I guess time will tell, but I think the change was a good idea. At least it won’t be hard to revert to the reversion of the revision.

And I had no idea I was so redundant. See post #11.

Good work, fellas.

Chronos: So the fuck what? There were more than just me saying it was stupid, and the notMod didn’t even address it. He just made a unilateral decision, and I will always call bullshit on those.

And in the Pit it’s already being abused, because people aren’t going to edit this shit.

There was just as much argument against this as there were people decrying putting images on this board, and yet that stayed away.

All the arguments for were in the form “I like it”. All the people against actually provided reasons not to do it.

I will always balk when actual arguments are dismissed, rather than discussed. It’s just a way of saying “Fuck you” to the people who brought up those arguments. Of course I’m going to take offense. It’s a shitty way to treat people.

As is mischaracterizing my post as being all about me. I just seem to be the only person who cares enough to defend us–as, once a decision is made, it stays made around her.

Frank:

It only took cutting and pasting if you were too stupid to just leave the quotes not nested, or to sum up a long argument. Even with the new quote button (which I have actually blocked on my system), you still have to do that.

All we are doing is encouraging the people who don’t edit their quotes. Now they can think that all the information is there, and they don’t have to.

Like I said, it’s now more of an inconvenience to use it. If you’re too stupid to remember what you’ve written, or to use the blue button that will remind you, then I don’t see any reason why you should be here in the first place.

Baron: Don’t think I don’t know exactly what you mean by what you said. Fortunately, I believe it immoral to express the same opinion back at you.

Liking it is in fact a reason to do it. I daresay, it’s the primary reason to do it.

Also, you seem a mite bit over-touchy…

That makes no sense. There are a lot of things I’d like to do, but know there are logical reasons not to. I daresay this is true for everyone.

I guess I just have this idea that a board devoted to fighting ignorance wouldn’t ignore arguments that disagree with them.

I’ve already pitted xash for this, since he’s not a mod–something that in and of itself really bothers me–the guy who made the decision is not even on the staff.