Suggestion: restore nested quoting

He’s allowed to change the PHP at will–how much more on staff does he need to be to satisfy you?

I’m glad to see the old functionality restored, and knowing BigT will get all butthurt whenever I misuse it just makes it all the sweeter.

xash is an admin. On all the boards I’ve seen, admins rank higher than mods and are generally the ones who make changes to the functionality of the board while the mods handle the content/posts.

Ugh. I don’t like it – I’m spending way more time stripping out quotes I don’t want than I ever did adding in quotes I wanted. (Speaking as a poster, not a moderator, here.)

YEAH MAN!

FIGHT THE POWER!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE! WOOoooo!

'Tis true. Yours is a noble, lonely cause. A lone voice from last crusader in the wilderness howling to the very GODS about the cruel injustices served upon your fellow men. Rage against that windmill of injustice! Rage!!! Defend us from the moderators and the dreaded nested quote function’s return!! You truly are…a hero.

Yeah! These quote boxes go to 11.

I like this new-old quoting method. It actually captures previous quotes so you know what someone was replying to! Awesome. Thanks for fixing/breaking this :slight_smile:

Thanks, xash!

Much better. Thanks for fixing this.

Thanks, xash!

Thanks for fixing this, xash! It’s awesome.

I hate it. I would have posted sooner if I had any inkling TPTB would actually implement it. Quote sandwiches look like ass, and are second in obscuring the meat of a post only to those who insist on quoting an entire long post instead of snipping out the relevant point they are addressing.

Please change it back.

Yes, that will work.

I left my axehandle in my other pants.

I don’t like it because now I’m having to go through my replies and delete stuff (for example; when someone is replying to me and they include a quote of mine).

It isn’t really a big deal but I preferred it the way it was before.

No. xash is not an admin. He relinquished his title a while back, giving it to Gfactor. I have always rejected people who take authority they don’t have. If xash has his title back, he didn’t when I made the comment.

And I see I’m not the only one who doesn’t like the new stuff. Funny, I’m a dick for wanting them to have waited to find out how many people really wanted it. The fact that there was opposition was enough for me to know that there would be people who wouldn’t like it, and that an actual discussion, rather than unilateral change, would be needed.

And it has nothing to do with being a hero. It has to do with being a moral person. If I see an immoral action, I have an ethical duty to at least make people aware of it. On the other hand, since I know that TPTB don’t let us vote on moderating decisions, I knew I couldn’t count on them to do anything, unless I made it inconvenient for them. Despite what they say, I’ve seen it work time and time again.

Plus, I tried making a Pit thread (after I realized I was getting too upset) but that got pulled here. As I’ve pointed out before: if you want ATMB to be this nice polite place, give us somewhere else to not be polite, or fix your policies where even the slightest level of meanness is forbidden.

And let me make sure I’m clear: I wouldn’t be upset if the same thing happened, but we actually had discussed it. Even if I disagreed. What we got was one guy saying do this, and another saying okay, and the rest of it made irrelevant by that interaction. And that pisses me off.

Quoted For Truth

It really makes the multi-quote feature useless. I may want to reply to several posts made by others, but I certainly don’t need to recap the entire thread several times in one thread before I get to my new post. It is unecessary clutter, and I find myself trying to skip on down to the new stuff.

Is there any way to make the multiquote button ignore nested quotes independently of the quote button?

Congrats and thanks!

This adds significant clarity and coherence to the boards for a minimal effort (though apparently there is a terrible moral cost). Even the junior forums (e.g., MPSIMS, IMHO) have plenty of threads where it will be a huge help and time-savings
Fear Itself says multi-quote is useless? And if you’re the first person to quote more than one poster … you do what? Also, how do you reconcile:

with

So “quote sandwiches” look like ass unless you want to make them? :confused:

Cutting out unwanted material is an order of magnitude easier than collecting un-nested quotes, particularly when the material is on other pages or not part of the board. Or compare replying to someone’s quote—you don’t have to re-edit the originally quoted text down to the relevant snippet.

Has anyone been able to find a substantial number of posters complaining about nested quotes before the functionality was lost? What about a substantial number of posters rejoicing when the functionality was taken away?

All I can find is this:

With both quote functions there was editing to do. There is now much less. Thanks!