Suggestion: restore nested quoting

I like it.

Add me to the list of people who like it. While I don’t post as often as some, I often read the Dope on my netbook and don’t always have my USB mouse attached; trying to edit quotes using the touchpad is a pain, particularly when my cat has decided to help by climbing onto my lap.

I don’t have heartache either way on this; I manually quote anyway.

But I see that BigT does have a valid point. While xash used to be an admin, he currently is not. And even if he were, there was no discussion on the matter. From the response in this thread it looks like the “yes change” people would have won a poll or whatever, but shouldn’t you ask for consensus before rolling out the change? shrug

Were we ever asked for a consensus when they originally removed the nested quotes?

Erm, if xash still has admin access but shouldn’t, isn’t that a matter for Ed et al? That’s a reason to get panties in a twist? That’s a moral issue? I guess if BigT was spotting an illegal or malicious hack, but calling xash’s continued access and ability to make such changes without BigT’s consent immoral is nonsensical.

As for discussion, since the functionality was broken there have been numerous threads asking for a workaround–the consensus was there before the change. Also note that much of the bitching in this thread is self-conflicting.

No–vB just unilaterally removed it, claiming it was a “fix”. At the time there was much outrage (and not just here although if you go back to when it was changed, there were tons of threads here–the change was universally reviled everywhere I saw).

Up 'till now, no one at the SDMB has chosen to fix it because the fixes have required some pretty involved patches/add-ons, which the Dope has always been very hesitant to add.

For the record Xash does not have time with his new job to read for moderation and handle everyday admin tasks, so he’s no longer a day to day administrator. He doesn’t get the email alerts moderators and administrators get either, he doesn’t have time to handle them. That is the part that he gave up.

He does – occasionally – step in for technical situations such as this one. Xash has been a member here for many years and served most of that time as a great moderator and an even better administrator. We are very fortunate that he is able to help us out from time to time.

The nested quote function was the vb standard for many years and many iterations of the software until it was removed by vB in the last upgrade. Why? Who knows? vB giveth and vB taketh away. We wouldn’t have changed it from what we had to begin with and we had a chance to bring it back and we did so.

While some dissent is allowed here and certainly some complaint is tolerated, to sling personal insults and be abusive to other posters and in general throw temper tantrums because you don’t get your way is not a good way to go.

BigT, you are formally warned for your bad behavior in this thread. This is the third major Warning you have racked up since May, all for the same causes: Inappropriate language, personal insults, being a jerk. Any further behavior of this type will result in reevaluation of your posting status.

We’re talking about some coding changes on an Internet message board, not a genocide in Darfur.

Immoral action? I think you need to get a grip.

TubaDiva said:

So what you are saying is that he is sort of an administrator, but not really? He’s a super secret admin? That he’s a regular member that occassionally gets to make board coding changes?

Just saw the response in the other thread. Since is is closed, will reply here.

TubaDiva said:

I don’t find it objectionable and have no problem with xash. My point is that it is unfair to expect members to consider xash an administrator when he does not have that title. If you wish people to know he is an admin, then make him an admin again.

Whatever else BigT may have done wrong, he was right that xash is not a moderator or admin. The people who were chewing him out for saying xash is not a moderator were wrong.

twickster said:

No argument.

Xash is like Jerry Davis – he handles occasional technical duties but is not involved in the day to day life of this board.

I see him as giving the SDMB someone able to do board-functionality stuff. He seems to me to be in a similar role as Jerry the Tech Guy without the other workload that kept Jerry from doing as much as he’d have probably liked to here.

Regarding BigT, it’s pretty much self-evident that if Xash can access the Admin control panel, that Xash is an admin. I could understand if Xash had issued a warning or done moderator stuff without the title, but someone with behind-the-scenes tech-powers isn’t particularly odd to me.

Most people hit quote and enter a reply to whatever the default is. They don’t raise a finger to cut out extraneous verbage. It looks like ass because some people don’t care if it looks like ass. But it still looks like ass.

That’s not true. I rarely see super long quotes around here. I think generally people click quote, then just reply, but if what they’re quoting is very long, people tend to crop out the irrelevant information.

This looks like ass, and it’s not even the worst example.

Here’s another.

Ehh, I’ve seen it before, and it’s no worse than quoting an entire post in order to address one sentence, but it’s not an epidemic around here.

It is now that nested quotes are the default. I don’t venture in MPSIMS much, but I bet that place is going to be a wreck.

Thing is, it’s not some great big change that would be murder to undo. We flipped it on like that; we could flip it off like that if it comes to it. So why don’t we give it a while, see if people learn to avoid the excessive “quote sandwiching” which bothers you so much, and if not, then we can decide whether it was a good or a bad idea and perhaps change back accordingly. No harm in the experiment, right?

It’s happening a bit in the short term as some people don’t realize the functionality has been restored, some people are pouting, and some are playing.
So, quote sandwiches look like ass unless you do it. And BigT finds nesting quotes manually a big pain in the ass but not for anyone else. Gotcha. Ya.

Look, no shit people can blindly quote and make posts too long to read. People can also refuse to capitalize or break their posts into paragraphs. They, fortunately, are in the relative minority.
ETA: I’m still waiting for a significant hue and cry about nested posts before the functionality was lost, or a rejoicing of their disappearance after the functionality was broken. Beuller?