Sunday Morning Puzzle # 8

The solution to SMP#8 is a list of movies with something in common.That common factor makes them appropriate for this week’s puzzle. The movie titles have been broken into “doublets” and these doublets have then been alphabetized. For example, “Sunday Morning Puzzle Number Eight” would be broken into SU ND AY MO RN IN GP UZ ZL EN UM BE RE IG HT and then alphabetized thus: AY BE EN GP HT IG IN MO ND RE RN SU UM UZ ZL. If a title has an odd number of letters, the last letter will remain as a single.

Two minor problems, one mitigating circumstance, and one note:

Minor Problem #1: Prior to their being broken into doublets, the original movie titles were altered in a way that makes them now inappropriate themewise for Sunday Morning Puzzle # 8.

Minor Problem #2: One doublet from each set is missing.

Mitigating Circumstance: The missing doublets --from 1 through 8 in that order-- spell out the reason why the movies with their original titles are appropriate for this week’s puzzle.

Note: One of the titles is an animated short more commonly known in another medium.

1.__ EC IC NI OR OT PR TH

2.__ AS EY HO KW LL MY VA WP

3.__ EN ER MM ON SI SO YL

4.__ DY EL FR IE LO OE OM S WT

5.__ BE EC MS ON RE TH TS

6.__ EB LA LE MI TH

7.__ BL DE DR GG HA IR M ND ON SA SE TY US

8.__ AN BL ES GA GR NE OF
What are the original movie titles, and what is the reason for their collection together?

We’re missing a doublet here.

I’ll look at this again, but other than the promised missing doublet, I don’t see one gone.

Oops. I’m sorry, you’re correct. I misread your bolded part about there being odd letters in the answer.

And Happy Saint Patrick’s Day to you too, Biotop.

[Edited by Eutychus55 on 03-11-2001 at 08:41 AM]

That’s the easy part Eutychus. I got them all except the first one.

Just got that one too.

1. The Corn Is Apricot
  2. How Pink Was My Valley
  3. Soylent Persimmon
  4. Fried Yellow Tomatoes
  5. The Crimson Berets
  6. The Black Mile
  7. Dr. Suess Dirty Blonde Eggs and Ham
  8. Anne of Gray Gables

Congrats to Euty and Jeff! I put this puzzle up at work earlier this week and no one could get it. I guess the SDMB I.Q.s really are THAT much higher. I still have not been able to stump this board. Maybe next week…