Super Bowl 51: Patriots vs Falcons

Great comeback, but the fact that it was the Patriots making the awesome comeback really dulled the enjoyment of it. Even aside from all the controversies, they’ve just won so much recently that it’s tiresome, and they didn’t fit the come-from-behind underdog role at all.

Also, I think a game where one team forges a huge lead and then blows it is less fun than a game that see-saws back and forth at the end, like Alabama/Clemson or Packers/Cowboys. So even with this being the first OT Super Bowl, I don’t think it was as good as, say, Steelers/Cardinals, Patriots/Seahawks, Packers/Steelers, or Patriots/Panthers, to name some recent-ish ones.

Michael Strahan once said that there’s no greater feeling than when the opposing team’s quarterback is being dominated and you look into their eyes and can tell they just really don’t want to be there. He then said he never saw that with Tom Brady. Not once. Because despite how pretty he is and how pretty his family is and things like that, Brady is such a fierce competitor that even when he’s defeated the opposing team comes away feeling huge respect for him.

I was rooting for Falcons, and they were up by 25, and I thought that wasn’t enough of a lead. The announcers kept talking about all the pressure the Falcons were putting on Brady, but he had all day to throw. You give him that kind of time, he will make you pay for it.

The worst plays, though, were the stupid holding penalty that put them out of field goal range, and ALL of the plays after the game was tied. They had less than a minute left, no time-outs and didn’t try to get the ball to the sidelines? Passes over the middle for short yardage???

You gotta give it the Patriots. They never gave up and made the big plays when they had to. Edelman’s catch on the scoring drive to tie it up was miraculous.

Yes. They emphasized it repeatedly.

Looked to me like a matter of the Falcons defense getting tired out due to the huge disparity in time of possession, and then when the Patriots offense finally managed to get a spark going late in the third quarter, their defense – with fresh legs thanks again to the ToP disparity – just went nuts and swarmed the Falcons.

On the way home I stopped off to watch Patriot’s Day but I was desperate to go to the bathroom so I missed the end of it.

MIT mechanical engineering professor John Leonard says that based on his study of the Deflategate data: “I am convinced that no deflation occurred and that the Patriots are innocent. It never happened.” Cite.

Prof. Leonard teaches a course called “Measurement and Instrumentation” and posted a lecture about Deflategate that can be viewed here. Per the New York Times article linked to above: “It is utterly convincing.”

Turned it off after Atlanta scored to make it 28-3. Glad I did because it was either going to be a snoozer or else Tom Terrific was going to lead the greatest comeback ever. Neither of which I particularly cared to see.

Having only seen the highlights now from the remainder of the 2nd half, I still can’t say it was the greatest SB game. Greatest 4th quarter, maybe. Greatest comeback for sure. But the game itself was not great for more than a half. So no, not the greatest SB game.

I am a proud Bostonian woman. This almost makes up for Hillary’s lost.

ALMOST!

In the cold light of day, it occurs to me that my posts from last night come off a little bit dickish, for which I apologize. Exuberance of the moment and all that.

With regard to the Falcons choking, I understand that sentiment, but I didn’t see it that way. They had an excellent game plan and executed it very well. They had pressure on Brady most of the night, which everyone says is how you beat him, but few can actually accomplish. They were all over the Patriots’ screen game, which I think probably netted the Pats -10 yards. Matt Ryan was efficient, on target, and unflustered - he’s got nothing to be ashamed of.

I believe the Falcons coaches are more to blame than anything else for the loss. The call on 3rd and 1 to have Ryan drop and try to throw deep that led to the sack/fumble was disastrous overconfidence in action. You’re up by 16 with less than 10 minutes left. The clock is the Patriots’ enemy and your ground game has been good all night. Run it. And if you’re gonna throw, make it a quick slant or something. But no, they got overconfident and had Ryan drop back for what looked like a long bomb and ended up turning the ball over. Terrible, terrible call.

Similar thing on their very next drive. (Here I think the pressure was getting to them). ATL started off that drive with two huge pass plays to Freeman and then that amazing circus catch from Jones. They’re basically golden here to run, run, run and try an easy field goal. Nope! First run goes nowhere, so time for more passing (???), which leads to a sack and then the holding call to take them out of field goal range. Not enough time comes off the clock.

After that, it was all Patriots. Falcons never got another legit shot. Which reminds me - more overconfidence: Maybe if they hadn’t burned all of their timeouts, they could have mounted a field goal try at the end of regulation, but they didn’t think they would need them, being up so much. So when they got the ball back with the game tied and a minute left, they had no shot. Again, coaches mistake. I realize this is easy to see in hindsight, but the Falcons players certainly didn’t choke (except maybe the guy who got dinged for blatant holding), it was the coaches who got too cute.

This has to be in the Top 10 of ‘Posts which people wish they had never made’. :slight_smile:

There actually is one case that he doesn’t cover. The difference between the two gauges was .4 psi. If the referee was incorrect about which gauge he used, the Patriots staffer managed to release exactly .4 psi from each of the balls in the 90 seconds he was in the bathroom, and the Patriots snuck into the Colt’s locker room and released exactly .4 psi from each of the 4 of their balls that were measured at half time, then the number still work. For some reason Leonard doesn’t even mention this as a possibility!

If that didn’t happen then, yeah, no air was let out of the balls and everything that happened after that was the equivalent of convicting someone of murder while his supposed victim sat in the gallery watching the trial.

On the one hand, Atlanta definitely choked. By my definition, a “choke” happens when you’re in command of the outcome, and you let the moment overcome you, so that you don’t perform at the level you had been up to that point. In the case of the Falcons, the signs of the choke are subtle, but they are there, and a lot of it happened among their coaching staff.

Examples abound. On the fatal third down on their last meaningful drive (ignore the drive at the end), right after the sack of Ryan, the announcers were noting that the Falcons were still within field goal range. But Kyle Shanahan is already on record as saying that he made the call for a pass play there because they needed to get back in field goal range. That’s incredibly poor thinking, a lack of having at the front of his brain the most basic yardstick for late-game management: where your kicker can make a field goal from. That’s a choke.

On the prior play, the Falcons call a pass (when everyone knows that the better call is a run to run time off the clock). The call is not a choke per se. But when Ryan drops back to pass, he has to have one thought in his mind: don’t get sacked. Yet when the play starts, and he’s dropped deep to set up, the front line is already crumbling in front of him, and he has time to throw the ball to his left ahead of #12, but instead he reacts late to the onrushing Patriot and ends up being sacked deep behind the line. That’s a choke. That’s entirely on him.

There are, I think, other indications. My recollection is that during the 4th quarter, Atlanta wasn’t always good about running the clock down as far as it could before snapping the ball. On the final kickoff they received, with just under a minute left, Gostkowski kicks the ball just into the endzone, and the return man, instead of just catching it and taking the knee (giving the Falcons the ball at the 25 with no time off the clock), attempts to run it out. He gets stopped at about the 10. Two completions later, the Falcons were down to about 20 seconds and were only at the 27, roughly where they would have started the drive from had there been a touchback. These are all signs of choking under pressure.

On the other hand, New England totally changed how they were playing during the final 17 minutes of the game. The turning point was the botched onside kick. Up to that point, the Patriots were not firing on all cylinders. After that, they were much, much better. Brady was 20-25 in that time frame, and I don’t think the Patriot receivers had a drop in that spell, either (they had numerous drops earlier). The defense, which had not been putting that much pressure on Ryan, started making it uncomfortable for him in the pocket, and managed to force a fumble and a couple of sacks (both of which helped cause the Falcons to punt instead of trying to score), as well as forcing the Atlanta line to start holding (two holding penalties in that time frame, both of which cost Atlanta field goals). In short, New England got challenged by their sloppiness, and they responded in an excellent way. Had they not done so, the efforts of Atlanta to choke it away would not have been successful.

I was questioning the time management on, I think it was that drive. There were a few plays there where the snap was made when there was still like 15-20 seconds left on the play clock. Perhaps it wasn’t a bad call, but it seemed to me like the Falcons should have been slowing down the pace of the game by then. (I want to say there was something like 5 minutes left on the game clock.) Am I crazy for thinking this as it was happening?

Wow, I turned if off in the middle of the third quarter knowing the Pat’s got wiped bad.
Wow.

One of the few benefits of being a Chargers fan is a solid understanding of how leads such as Atlanta’s can still be thrown away :slight_smile:

Sports sites and Tv shows here are discussing the game result in detail. Ok more detail than what its usually presented for SuperBowls, the name of the winning team and the score. But then they also mention that its Trumps favourite team (is it?). A comeback for the ages.

Some people are comparing, in comeback terms to Liverpool v Milan in 2005? Fair assessment.

Or France v NZ at the 1999 Rugby World Cup.

I thought Atlanta was flawless in the first half and every one of them was doing the job of two men – they were everywhere. NE Superbowls are never easy and Brady’s known for fourth-quarter accomplishments, but this went to another level. Saw two catches that I still think are impossible, one for each team; saw the two most-hyped players (Brady and J. Jones) living up to it. Pfft, yes, this was one of the best Superbowls.

Yeah, I didn’t care for either team. And yet, I watched on and off for the first 3 quarters. That final 20 odd minutes, tho… Amazing.

Even tho some of my Facebook friends were absolutely AGONIZING over the refs “giving” the game to the Pats, I didn’t see any of that. What I did see was stupid penalties keeping a Pats drive alive, Atlanta not being able to get 3 after Julio was amazing, and an effort that almost defies belief in what Edelman did with that catch. Inches separated that catch from being incomplete.

This was a great comeback coupled with an epic meltdown. In other words: GREAT FOOTBALL.

Broncos fan for life, btw.

They lost their right tackle to an ankle injury either late in the 3rd or early in the 4th and had to put in a backup.

Also their center was playing on a fractured fibula, which might have gotten worse over the course of the game. Flowers beat him a couple of times to pressure and eventually sack Ryan.

Atlanta should have done a couple of run plays to get a few extra yards so they could make an easier field goal and all but seal the game. Instead they had 2 drop backs which led to a sack then a hold which combined took them out of field goal range and gave the Pats a chance, which Brady ran away with.

So much for Atlanta getting a sports championship. Oh well, maybe in 30 years or so.

This was one of the few football games I’ve ever watched where I didn’t disagree with the refs over a single call or no-call. They did a superb job. Anyone complaining about the refs is just a whiner.