Survivor: 41st Season

I’ve been pausing and trying for around 30 seconds, but the challenges are my favorite part so I get impatient. I couldn’t get the first week’s puzzle but this week’s was much easier:

Worth playing for

I haven’t gone online or anything. I just play along at home.

Could someone please sum up the safe/risk decision and its implications?

I had it sorted out at one time but it’s now gone from my head.

mmm

If you protect your vote, you keep your vote regardless of what other players do.
If you risk your vote and at least one person protects their vote, you keep your vote and get an extra vote.
If you risk your vote and all other players risk their vote, you lose your vote and don’t get an extra vote.

I need to take a screenshot of this, print it, and keep it with me when I watch this season. I don’t know why it is confusing, but it is.

Thank you. However…

Aren’t there only two players involved in each protect/risk scenario?

mmm

As I recall, first time there was 3. One from each tribe.
Second time there was 2. Winning tribe and one other person they selected.

One person has to be the designated driver who has no fun. That person protects their vote, which means nothing changes for them no matter what.

Everybody else gets to drink and have fun, which means risking their vote. As long as they have a designated driver who chose protect, everyone who chose risk wins an extra vote.

In the most recent episode, there were two people, and one of them assured the other that they’d be the designated driver protecting their vote so the other could risk their vote. That kind of promise is very believable and almost binding, because anyone who says that but was lying will lose their own vote in the process. So you can pretty much count on anyone who says they’ll choose protect really will choose protect.

WTF have TPTB done to Survivor? A year hiatus and they came up with this pile of poo?

I think I saw Fonzie waterskiing in the background

Case Study in Group Think?

Probst said in episode 1 that this is a new survivor. He should have said new really bad survivor, Way too many advantages and disadvantages. I can’t keep track of everything.

Haven’t they all been pretty much disadvantages at this point? I mean, no one has actually played an advantage by now, right?

But I agree, if an advantage is only good if three ducks fly over camp at noon while the other tribes wear matching hats during the challenge, then it’s too fucking stupid to have in the game.

Some of it isn’t working, for sure. But I loved the challenge design this episode. Difficult but doable water course followed by a tricky carnival game. It would have been better as an individual challenge, though.

I liked Shan’s turn of phrase when she said this situation was “tapdancing” on her childhood trauma. Assuming I heard that right.

Yeah, I agree it’s been pretty bad. But I’m not sure if it’s because of the advantages. I think we just have a weak cast so far, and the producers are struggling to create any interesting drama. Playing up JD’s past story as misdirection was just annoying, since it was pretty clear Brad was going to go home. And I guess the “delayed advantage” was really what doomed him (like it almost did Xander).

Who on the cast is truly engaging? Shan started out OK as the “pastor that would cut your throat”, but her angst about voting off a friend was a bit annoying considering where she started. Tiffany has some funny moments, but totally flaked out by not going for the steal a vote. Xander and Brad are playing, I suppose, but now Brad is gone. I do like some of the blue tribe, but since they never lose we don’t get to see anything other than Naseer throwing the big guys under the bus and Sydney spilling beans left and right.

I kind of like the “chicken” games, but this was yet another one where the obvious best strategy is just to say “I’m taking the steal-a-vote, you guys decide what you want to do”. Give them a choice between losing their vote or keeping their vote.

I’m curious about what they’re eating. Evidently they aren’t getting rice. Don’t see any signs of active fishing, crabbing or cooking. Why aren’t they collapsing?

It’s only been a week. Also two of the tribes just won food.

I think they showed one tribe trying to catch these itty bitty crabs in the very first episode. Didn’t seem to be having any success, though.

Remember when Jeff offered peanut butter for players to give up standing on poles out in the water? Good times.

Oh, JD. Poor, sweet, trusting JD.
It’s one thing to go home with an advantage in your pocket, but has anyone ever gone home with their advantage in someone else’s pocket?

He should have been the most powerful person at that tribal, but he seemed completely unwilling to flex that power. Kudos to Shan, I suppose, for recognizing that he’s kind of a go-along guy by nature and taking advantage of that trait, but it’s frustrating that he couldn’t see what she was doing right in front of his face.

JD’s a likeable kid, and I kinda hope he gets a second chance some day.

Is the extra vote transferable? It would be fun to see Shan try to use it at a future TC and be told “Sorry, that was JD’s vote, not yours.”

How quickly we forget Erik, another “superfan”, who gave away his Immunity Idol when there were only 5 players left, and was immediately voted out.

MMM called it weeks ago. Though calling it a song, or even a tune, is generous. Stupid melody is more like it, though that’s an abuse of the word melody. That leaves us with it being simply stupid. Stupid.

Of course I remember Erik. He explicitly transferred ownership of his immunity necklace to Natalie, so technically it wasn’t his anymore when he got voted out.

JD letting Shay “hang onto” his extra vote wasn’t quite as boneheaded as that, but it stemmed from the same foolish naïveté.

In the past there’s been a difference between giving someone an idol/advantage and letting them hold on to it. If you just give someone the advantage to hold, they must return it if you ask for it, and they can’t use it themselves. If you give them the advantage, it’s theirs to do whatever they wish.

I thought JD just gave the extra vote for her to hang onto, but she seemed to think it was actually given. It was a bit unclear what actually happened.

As far as I could tell, at least from JD’s point of view, he was letting Shan hold it to ensure he wouldn’t use it at this TC, then she would give it back afterward.

Somehow she spun this as him proving that he trusted her, but all it really showed is that she didn’t trust him. That should have been obvious to JD, but he let her get in his head and overthought it.

Shan did say something like, “Even if we don’t vote him out, I might just keep the extra vote for myself.” I don’t know what the rules would have said about that, and I’m not sure what they say about her using the vote now.