Tammy Faye Messner (Bakker) dead at 65

Moderator puzzles: I’m not exactly sure why this is in the forum dedicated to “arts and entertainment” … but, since she was indeed a form of “entertainment,” I’m going to let it stay. However, please remember that this isn’t the Pit.

Thank you for your intervention. I’ve opened a Pit thread for anyone else who feels nature’s call.

RIP.

By all accounts, she was a genuinely compassionate and non-judgemental woman. Like a lot of others, my opinion of her changed radically over the years. My assumption that she was just another cynical, religious con-artist was gradually eroded to nothing by her humility and tolerance and un-faked kindness. She had an undeniably good heart. I don’t think she had an ounce of intentional cruelty or bigotry in her and she was one of the best ambassadors for her faith you’re ever going to find.

I would never have expected a televangelist to actually practice Christianity, but truth is stranger than fiction.

I never thought I would say it, but over the years she really won me over. I am sad to see her go.

Ditto.

This is a total disconnect for me. When I left the US way back when, she was nothing but a joke. Then came the scandal, which made the news even over here, and after that I never heard of her again. Oh, I think I did hear she remarried one time in Hawaii, but other than that, nada. Now I’m reading about what a big humanitarian she turned out to be. Well, good for her, I say, if that’s true. But it sure feels weird to be reading all this praise for her, both on the board and in the media.

That’s the usual pattern. Blame it all on the husband. And it works; just imagine if Jim had cried and blamed it all on Tammy instead of the other way around. Despite all the changes in gender relations, people still buy the “I’m a helpless little idiot and that man deceived me !” defense from women.

Most of us remember her as a TV presence.

Another Tammy Faye convert wishing her well as she climbs into the Milky Way or whatever people do when they die. Nothing she ever did was as brave as going on television in her final week, and that made me so glad my own mother died suddenly and soon during her fight with cancer and she never had to look like that. RiP Tammy Faye, and Jim Bakker… booby, try not to use this too much to get screen time for yourself and your new ministry (and you know you’re thinkin’ of it).

We do, we just don’t realize it… :frowning:

I used to make fun of her, but she showed me a thing or two. One of the qualities that I admire most is courage. She had it in spades! Down to 65 pounds, within hours of death and still smiling and loving.

You win, Tammy Faye. I was wrong and I have learned from you. We are lucky to have had you among us.

Der Trihs, Jim Bakker is the one who kept two sets of books. If you know something that the Grand Jury didn’t know, please share. (They are the ones who heard the evidence and failed to return an indictment.) If not, your remarks are very unfair and inconsiderate.

What a wonderful thing to say, and a beautiful way to say it!

One of the more startling things in her CNN obituary: “Messner wore heavy makeup — her lip liner, eyeliner and eyebrows were tattooed on.”

She was born and raised in International Falls, Minnesota, right on the border of Canada (and had Canadian ancestry).

Say, what’s Jim Bakker doing these days?

The Jim Bakker Show, taped Monday to Friday in Branson, Missouri. You can see it in Tampa on WCLF Channel 22 at 4:00 am and 2:00 pm.

Popular briefly in the 1980s, right about when she was most on TV.

So ? My point is they generally wouldn’t. It’s much harder to get an indictment ( or investigation, or arrest, or jail time ) against a woman than a man, especially a woman who’s willing to play stupid and when there’s a man willing to take the fall. Which is usually.

NB --Bolding mine-sc

I don’t think she was a rocket scientist. Maybe what you perceived as “play stupid” was merely a rather naive person. Maybe she wasn’t playing.

And, if you have a cite that shows women are harder to indict than men, we’d like to see it.-

Yes. I’m glad if she really did do some good work later in her life, I hope that’s really true that she did, but I have to say I think she was a participant in fraud with her husband at the time.

She was drawn to shyster men that were convicted of fraud. She loved shitting on gold toilet seats. She plays the dumb bitch saying “Me not know what happen” each time. Fuck this whore. As long as life was good for her. Eat shit and die, you Antichrist cunt.