Tammy Faye Messner (Bakker) dead at 65

All right Mr. Bakker, we know its you. :dubious:

Dex has already made it known that this isn’t the Pit, Johnny Hildo. At this point, if you want to vent your anger, you’ll need to do so in the Pit.

ETA: I see you’ve visited Liberal’s Pit thread by the time of this post. That’s fine; it’s a better place for you to express your vehement dislike of Tammy.

You have things a little mixed up. Jim Bakker did cry in public. He broke down sobbing as he was led away. But Tammy never blamed him. She stood behind him through his trial and conviction – even though she must have been terribly humiliated at his affair with the secretary and his efforts to keep the affair quiet with hush money. That was in addition to the 24 counts of fraud and tax evasion.

This was the man that she had been married to for over 27 years. He was the father of her two children. I remember her singing hymns outside of his trial.

Eventually he wrote a book entitled I Was Wrong. It did not implicate Tammy in any way. What reason do you have for thinking it should have? Just because she is a woman? Is that all you have to go on?

He was the founder and former President of PTL, not Tammy. He made all of the financial decisions. His number 2 Administrator was not Tammy either. That was Richard Dortch. Dortch and aides David and James Taggart were indicted on charges of fraud and conspiracy. So the investigation didn’t stop with just Jim Bakker.

Tammy Bakker offered no such defense as what you have described. She offered no defense because she was not tried. No charges were brought because the Grand Jury did not indict her. You have not indicated that you know anythng about this particular case or this woman.

She came across as incredibly accepting and forgiving every time I have seen her on television over the last 5-10 years. I think she really and truly wanted life to be good for everybody. And this is coming from somebody who usually despises televangelists and even much of organized religion.

All I knew about her was that she was the wife of a Fundie Televangelist who was done over for fraud.

Then I caught her on the Surreal Life, with Ron Jeremy of all people. I really expected she would be all righteous about his sinful lifestyle, but she was really, really sweet to all of the castmates. And when she had her book signing, with all the gay guys in the audience - her face lit up to see how much they loved li’l ole her.

I didn’t know about her much, but I really did get the impression from that small snippet of her that she was a good-hearted person and it was a little moment of sadness to find out that she’d been so ill and had died.

I’m not a believer, but I hope she does find her way to heaven.