Teacher tells children Santa Claus isn't real, is reprimanded

(hope the thread stays on topic and doesn’t get religious/anti-religious)
So a teacher has been reprimanded in New Jersey for telling students that Santa Claus isn’t real. IMHO, this is a case of political correctness run amok and the school should be required to apologize to the teacher. Don’t know if there would be grounds for a lawsuit on such a basis if the teacher were to be let go from her job (probably too flimsy to go on) but the school should be required to do a 180.

It’s not at all clear from the link what the “reprimand” consisted of.

For all we know, the “reprimand” just consisted of the (substitute) teacher being privately told, “Hey, you didn’t use good judgment there.”

Where is the “political correctness run amok”? The article doesn’t even say why the teacher did such a thing.
She deserves a reprimand, she had no business doing what she did.

When I was in 2nd grade, we had a music teacher-Mr. Kuhn- who told a kid who had been talking about Santa that Santa wasn’t real. Nothing happened to him. This was what, 1988?

I doubt teaching kids there is no Santa Claus is in the 1st grade curriculum. If parents wanted that taught they could add it. I think it’s inappropriate for a teacher to take the enjoyment of parents and bullies from being the ones to tell kids there is no Santa.

Leaving aside all this Father Christmas stuff, wasn’t Saint Nicholas a real, live guy, even if not that much is known about him? Seems a bit glib there to declare he “doesn’t exist”, full stop, without elaborating.

Why? Santa Claus doesn’t exist and never did; he’s a fictional character. That’s all there is to it.

Wait… a professional educator is extolling the the joy of being ignorant and lied to? What the fuck?

I think that’s fine if someone asks about “Santa Claus” rather than Saint Nicholas. That that guy existed is a nice bit of trivia, but really to me has practically no relevance to the modern American concept of Santa. More detail is nice, but we oversimplify things for young children all the time, so it really comes down to whether or not you are okay with oversimplifications, I think.

Of course, this article has no context, so we really don’t know what happened (unless it’s in another article). While I don’t think smashing beloved cultural myths is something teachers should necessary set out to do, I also don’t think teachers should be expected to lie or deflect just protect a falsehood or keep parents happy. This applies not just when directly asked, but in cases that might happen where one child is bullied for not believing as the rest of the children do (though I’ve never heard of that happening with young children and Santa).

Yep, we should only deal in facts:

Kid: “My dad is a policeman”

Teacher: “Nope, your dad is actually the mailman”

:dubious: Really? That’s what you posted? You thought of that and typed it out, read it and still thought it was a devastating retort?

:rolleyes:

Oh yeah? Then where’d those presents that appeared under the tree on Christmas morning tagged “from SANTA” come from, huh?

… What the hell? Are you saying that if a mailman lies to his child and tells them he is a police officer, a teacher shouldn’t break the news?

… and this is what you consider equivalent to pointing out that Santa Clause is a myth?

I consider lying to be morally similar to violence. Only acceptable under a narrow range of circumstances, like self defense. This includes “white lies” like the myth of Santa Claus.

Not nearly as funny when it has to be explained: the kid’s biological father is the mailman, not the policeman because the wife cheated, but the kid is not aware of it.

I thought it was simultaneously funny and a legitimate counter-example of when we would not expect the full truth despite the fact that the teacher knows the truth (that the wife cheated with the mailman).

Santa is a harmless piece of fiction at worse. Also it prepares those for questioning other magical beings they have never actually seen and don’t actually make sense. Could be a positive.

Can’t agree. The Santa myth teaches children that they get presents depending on how good they are. So if the a kid in their class didn’t get any presents, it’s not because of poverty or crappy parents who didn’t care about them or parents who had different values to impart - it’s because that child was bad. Extrapolation says that the kid(s) getting the most presents was best. That’s a horrible lesson to teach children. Very Prosperity Gospel.

I thought the question of the existence of Santa Claus was resolved way back in 1897:
Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.
A sentiment that I find much more inspiring than the banal musings of some New Jersey teacher who apparently hates children.

HAHAHA! I like this. :smiley:

And when I was in 1st grade I knew he wasn’t real. I have two older sisters, 8 and 10 years older, respectively. I was the one telling kids, no, there isn’t one, making my classmates cry and got to hang with the older, cooler kids around Xmas.

The truth doesn’t hurt that much in this case. Hopefully when the news comes 'round, kids will respect their parents more than the fat, jolly man.

That is one interpretation and a convoluted one at that. But if it somehow brings you enjoyment to think that, have fun.