Episode 2 was really good. I can see where the focus will be, I think.
Higgins remains my favourite character, undefeated.
Episode 2 was really good. I can see where the focus will be, I think.
Higgins remains my favourite character, undefeated.
This is accurate.
Since they established that Roy liker her, I honestly thought it was building to the original coach still quitting. Then Roy would hire her to replace Beard who went back to Ted. Clearly assistant coaching the men’s team would be seen as a career advancement for her which is what “she wanted” but the season would show that that’s not what she actually drove her and she’d still be dedicated to the woman’s team.
So now the question is…how can the women’s team afford two assistant coaches?
Higgins tore up the business plan that said the team and possibly the entire league will face severe financial problems, so clearly Rebecca is not concerned with the salary of a second assistant coach. Leater in the season, the financial crunch will come and Rebecca will have to decide between folding the team, selling it, or risking her entire personal fotrune.
So their solution to getting into a proper locker room was to take over the locker room used by during the men’s home games by the visiting team. That’s nice and it does give them a locker room equivalent to the men’s team. But what will the visiting teams (both men’s and women’s) use for a locker room?
I doubt they will explore that issue. But it occurred to me that one answer would be to put the lockers in both the men’s and women’s locker rooms on wheels. When the men’s team has a home game, roll the women’s lockers out of their locker room and roll in identical but empty lockers for use by the visitors. And then do the same thing when the women’s team has a home game. They just need to store visiting team lockers, which wouldn’t take much room.
I assume the visiting women’s teams will have to use the room that the Richmond women had been using. Could use lockers on wheels, but it would probably be more cost-effective to just have the kit person empty out the women’s lockers before the men’s home games and return everything afterward.
Why can’t the visiting men use the same little closet? I seem to remember the Greyhounds being in a tiny little bunker of a locker room in Season 1 when Nate gave his “you used to be angry at the grass” speech to Roy.
Speaking of which, I assume Nate will be returning as the new (old) asst. coach, right?
I don’t think Nate is expected to return.
I guess that makes sense - I want this season (and any subsequent ones) to be more about the women’s team than rehashing the men’s.
Given that it’s supposed to be about the women’s team, I wonder what Alice thought of Ted and Beard jumping around when they met. She must think they’re a couple of lads.
We’re off and running in ep 3. Still good stuff, I laughed a lot. My favourite joke was the end credits song.
Also Faye Marsay has appeared.
I find it somewhat incredulous that Ted apparently was unfamiliar with Susan Boyle. He comes across like the sort of guy who would have been all over her story when she broke out.
Just watched episode 1 (of season 4).
:deep breaths:
I think it was the first bad episode of Ted Lasso I’ve ever seen.
I agree. Easily the worst. The second was not much better, haven’t seen the third yet.
It seems that every character is fully Flanderized at this point.
Yes, the first episode wasn’t great but I think it’s getting better (and I have seen all three episodes that have been released).
Yes, that’s it. Couldn’t quite out it into words myself, why everything just seemed off, but I think you have it. Flanderized. The lot of them.
The first episode was definitely my least favorite, but it really seemed like a one-off to set things up and have a bunch of callbacks to things Ted had mentioned about his hometown.
The second and third episodes felt pretty much right at home to me. Not really seeing the Flanderization, but maybe I’m just happy to have new episodes to watch.
The first time I watched the first episode I was disappointed, but on rewatch I thought it was pretty funny, so maybe I just had unrealistic expectations after waiting so long for new episodes. Second and third episodes were OK. I don’t think the show has fully found its legs yet, but I haven’t given up hope. It was nice to see Phoebe back.
It does feel like the writers have run out of things for Keeley to do and are compensating by dressing her in increasingly absurd outfits, though.
Wondering if there will be a romance arc for Coach Clifton? I could totally see her with Roy or Beard. Or maybe Keeley!
I like the show, am continuing to watch, and don’t want to turn this thread into a debate about it, but I feel like I need to complain at least once- the characters seem cooked.
Rebecca, once a strong decisive woman of power struggling with relationship trauma and self-love is now a goofy, bumbling girl who cannot bring herself to tell Keeley about budget issues, and is reduced to physical comedy sight gags of, being unable to eat BBQ without getting messier than a child, and hiding behind a door from her employee coach Chilton.
How many times can Roy “I’m the guy with the catch phrase” Kent have a realization about himself and say “fuuuuuuck”?
Coach Beard, while yes always quirky in a surreal way, became a mountain man recluse seemingly unable to communicate, groom, or do any real work, yet also kept his job?
Ted ‘stealing’ from the grocery store he works in part time as an instant scheme to convince his co-worker to not steal was a horribly conceived scene. Obviously meant to show us that “even here, Ted can work his magic!”, it undermines the intention, work, dedication, and effort we saw it take for Ted to shape the Richmond organization, and for that challenge to shape him.
Leslie sleeping and drooling over a binder of work, which, despite being a professional adult, he just can’t seem to manage because OMG THE BINDER HAS SO MANY PAGES!
The first three seasons of the show, while fantasy, allowed me to believe that the world of Ted Lasso was real, or at least that it could be real if this wildly improbable collection of people managed to all be together in the same place at the same time.
The show succeeded because of the strong character writing, the arcs of personal growth, and the tantalizing fantastical world that operated under the rules of “what if this was just like the real world, except everyone is a little nicer, a little more compassionate, a little more introspective and self-aware, and a lot more willing to talk about it.”
This season (I am 1/5 through, so obviously things may shift) the characters are doing things for laughs or for plot/message that throw their own depth and humanity under the bus. They have stopped growing, the conflicts are external, and their behaviors no longer seem grounded in the actions of real people.
The world in which Nate hides from the cleaning crew after-hours after tearing up the ‘Believe’ sign in a tragi-comic display of ineptitude is not the same world where Rebecca hides behind a door from coach Chilton.