I agree with you and couldn’t put my finger on it until your great description. Tension and challenge to the characters have disappeared, they are now just fixed templates issuing quips to fill the space. If this were written in season 1 style, for example, we would be building the dramatic tension and character journey of the player with the child juggling her needs/wants, the sources of the twins conflicts, the stakes and consequences of failure of the team…any conflict so far has simply been resolved by “Rebecca’s paying, go for it” or “Ted and Beard made a pop culture reference and smirked, problem solved”.
Interesting: Roja’s sister is Roja’s sister.
At first I was in disagreement with the dissenters, because I was enjoying the show quite a lot. But by now I was hoping it would have gelled and have a point I could get on board with, but it’s really tough to figure out where it’s going. There’s nothing happening, it’s just a lot of character gags without a proper story.
My guess, having only seen as far as episode 4? The Keeley-Kent wedding.
I’m only still watching because the new characters (Alice and the team…and even Tracy Ullman’s character) are fun and interesting. I’m pretty much done with the returning characters who are predictable and one note.
Alice’s story seems like a rerun of Nate’s; an assistant coach with issues not caused by Ted Lasso who acts out.
I just like her because she is an entertaining misanthrope. Alas, they are already Archie Bunkerring her into another lovable character.
I’m already tired of the Tracey Ullman character, but I’m liking the Alice storyline and want more of the players.
Tired of the Keeley and Rebecca stuff.
Ted and his Ex are fine.
I get the complaints but I’m still enjoying it and am getting some pretty big laughs.
Roy to the doctor he is dating, after talking about Keely nonstop and seeing them together a few times…and then bringing her up again. “Do you know Keely?”
The music selection is rather uninspired this season.
I’m enjoying it also.
They finally did it at the end of episode 9.
They hit us with the double-sads.
The big mystery this season has been who is buying up shares in the Richmond team, threatening to take away control from Rebecca. That bothers me, because she chose to sell 49% to the public. Presumably she could have and should have retained enough shares that no one could ever take control. She could have also written a right of first refusal in the sales contract when individuals bought shares.
IMHO there’s no mystery. It’s Rebecca’s ex-husband, Rupert. As for reasons, he’s an asshole, and doesn’t really need one, so I’ll accept whatever reason they put forward.
Random stuff that doesn’t make sense out of context.
I have not yet seen episode 9 and will not unblur the spoiler. But I gather it isn’t Rupert. Oh, well.
Moderating:
@Darren_Garrison, your post is actually a spoiler. Please don’t do this again. By ruling out Rupert, you spoiled the story for some.
Deleted. Maybe you should change yours, too. And I guess Kent_Clark’s.
Spoilers added to my post and @Kent_Clark’s.