Ted Williams' Head Used for Batting Practice

I debated putting this in the Pit, but I don’t have a lot of vitriol, just disgust for these people. The nice folks at Alcor have apparently been up to some naughty hi jinx. Article here.

The whistle blower is writing a book, so the veracity of his story should be taken in that light, but still. Sounds like something you’d read about teenagers doing, not “professionals.”

Well, I put the book on my list of to-reads. Sounds pretty grim, but doesn’t surprise me that there are shenanigans going on at a company/facility that basically exists to fleece people by pimping technology that doesn’t actually exist yet.

I think it’s kind of funny. It’s a victimless crime.

Way I heard it, Teddy loved playing with people’s heads while he was alive. Karma?

Well, yes, if it were a Yankee player I’d be furious! But since it’s just a Red Sox player…

The only victims are Teddy’s fans in Red Sox Nation, who hate to see a beloved icon besmirched. But the villian is not Alcor, but William’s son who agreed to the hare-brained head-freezing scam over the objections of just about everyone.

There’s no reason to choose. Alcor is a scam, and John-Henry Williams was either a liar scoundrel or an idiot, or both.

ETA: Even if this is victimless in theory, it would be twisted to take someone’s money and do something like this.

Actually, i think it’s twisted simply to take someone’s money on the pretense that freezing a loved one’s head can actually make any sort of difference.

I agree. Somehow messing around with the bodies does make it a little worse, from where I sit.

Now that any possibility of reanimation is gone, can we *please *let him be cremated and scattered over his favorite Florida fishing grounds, as he wanted? Please?

Ted Williams’ Head Used for Batting Practice

[Plate umpire]
Needs less pepper.
[/Plate umpire]

In a way I suppose this is fitting. Ted Williams always wanted to get a head in the count.

I bet there’s a law against abusing a corpse in Arizona, frozen or thawed. Not to mention dismembering live dogs.

But there’s still a shot at cloning.

It’s a stretch to think he’d be eligible for this year’s playoffs, though.

Sigh.

I mean, who’d you rather have as DH right now? David Ortiz or Teddy Ballgame II?

What are the “professional” standards for sawing off someone’s head to freeze for later re-animation? And are they as rigid as those for phrenologists or astrologists? :stuck_out_tongue:

Why was there a tuna can on his head in the first place?

Do you know NOTHING about cryogenics?

:smiley:

Hey! It’s all tuna cans nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I’m gonna need about ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

When Futurama comes back, they should find a way to incorporate a gag about this.

I haven’t watched that show much, but I do recall that they had animated heads in jars (Nixon’s?). Was Ted Williams head ever used before?