Tell me about the new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

Sapo wants a convertible. The wife wants a SUV. So we are now thinking of a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited as a compromise vehicle. Does anyone have any experience with it? Positive, negative? Are we both going to be unhappy with it. (I went to the dealer and managed to get myself a bit excited about it). We currently share a 2004 Jeep Liberty that we both like very much.

Are you looking at the 4-door model? I really want one of those, but I want to wait for a biodeisel version, and we can’t really afford it right now anyway. We currently share one car, a 2002 Subaru Outback.

The four door, yes. (I understand that Unlimited is the name for the 4 door at all trim levels)

I have a Wrangler - the two door version - and absolutely love it. As a matter of fact this is my second Wrangler. I got my first, a 1990, used in 1994. I traded it in on an '02. The top is a lot easier to deal with than it used to be, and the suspension is better.

I still do double takes when I see an Unlimited, but I know one family that has one and they really like it. It seems to be as comfortable inside as a standard SUV, with the advantage of the soft top.