Tell Us Something Unexpectedly Nice That Happened Today

Yummmmmmmmmmm!

My son Jack spent the night here with me last night and we’re having coffee together.

The BEST way to start my day!

One of my students (high school) gave me a Christmas card today. Nothing unusual about that, teachers always get little gifts. But the card said that the student had, instead of getting me a gift, purchased a DVD player, blankets and a big box of popcorn for a family on his church’s giving tree.

As much as I would have liked an Itunes gift card or some chocolate, this is much better.

This is what I love especially - where one kind act directly correlates to another kind act.

But everything everyone has shared has already had that impact, because y’all really made my day!

Somebody we know is now out of a coma after 6 weeks. It was induced after heart surgery originally. It makes the day a bit nicer. This is a bigger deal for his family of course.

For about an hour each day, I fill out forms for sweepstakes online. Only clearly legitimate, non-survey, good ones. I’ve been doing it for almost two years, because I just know that someday I will win something really nice. Also, it kind of keeps me going during the bad times, because I can think to myself, “well, maybe I’ll win that thousand dollars or that trip to NYC” or whatever.

Well, the other day I finally won something worth more than $25!! (And, no, Alaska Magazine- your flimsy paper 2010 calender is not worth $30.) I won a $250 gift card to VictoriasSecret.com! Woo-hoo! I got the code this morning and this weekend I am shopping, baby! Sweet!

Will pictures ensue?

They put a smoothie bar in the cafeteria!

I brought Mrs. Homie’s Christmas gifts to work today, in the hopes that one of my female coworkers would wrap them (I can’t wrap to save my life). One of them volunteered, and even went so far as to put decorative ribbon on them and even do that little spinny thing with the ribbon.

I was in and out of the DMV earlier today in ten minutes. :slight_smile:

These days VS has all kinds of stuff- clothes, shoes, makeup, etc. There will be a couple frilly things, but I mostly need clothes. This morning I went and got fitted for bras. They say most women are walking around wearing the wrong size bra, and since I’m planning on ordering a couple, I figured I should be sure I know exactly what size I am. It turns out I was right about what size I wear, and the fitting lady was excited for me. I can’t wait to start shopping once my friend gets here this afternoon!

That doesn’t answer the question at all, Alice.

Today I bought some toys for the Toys for Tots drive that my office building is having. I looked in the box and it was all toy cars and spiderman stuff so I bought a couple of gender neutral stuffed animals to even things out a bit.

This morning a nice man gave me his seat on the train.

This was actually a couple of days ago.

I’ve been working very hard to lose weight. Since the beginning of September, I’ve dropped 30 pounds and gone from a size 24 to a size 18. My mom donated a pair of her jeans, since none of mine fit anymore. While we were discussing this, my dad asked me if I’d started collecting rocks.

Huh?

To drive off the boys who were going to be following me around since I look so good, he explained.

I’m 38, and I gave my dad a great big kiss on the forehead.

I was going about 10 feet from the door of the Subway’s where I was going in to pick up lunch and this absolutely gorgeous girl of about 20 walked out and gave me a bright, flirtatious smile as she walked toward me.

It did my 40 years old heart proud.

It was just beautiful today. A high of 72 and the sky perfectly blue.

It was the first day of winter vacation for the kids, so I got to sleep in and not get anyone to the school bus on time. The kids and I went to the park and everyone was in a good mood.

Now we are at home and we’ll soon make a gingerbread house.

Just a lovely day.

Annual Christmas Breakfast wioth the people from work.

Cracker Barrel, & not half bad.

I had done a ‘secret Santa’ thing for the folks at the office. Someone sussed out who did it and when I got back from lunch today there was a bag sitting on my chair. Inside was bottle of nice gin with matching glasses.

I’ll be doing a quality control check later this weekend.

Oh yeah, and I took second place in a little ‘biggest loser’ competition we had going. I get 20% of the pool, which worked out to about 150 bucks.

I took my co-worker and two of his visiting-from-Florida friends out for a snow-shoe tour today. The snow was perfect, there were nice snowmobile tracks to give us a rest from breaking trail, and they had a blast. I felt really good about sharing something I love with newbies. The clouds clearing away as we were emerging from the trees was just a bonus.

When we checking out at Kohls yesterday, the salesclerk asked us if we had our “percent off” coupon. We confessed to her that we had misplaced it, alas; it was for twenty percent. She looked to the left and the right, and ascertaining that no management-types were nearby; whispered “I’m going to honor that for you.” W00T!