Tell Us Something Unexpectedly Nice That Happened Today

My baby girl turned five weeks today and smiled at me for the first time. And she kept doing it - just lying there, kicking her legs and grinning at me again and again, smiling with her whole face and making eye contact. She was snorting almost like she was trying to laugh and hadn’t figured it out yet, then she cooed!

I fit into my pre-pregnancy work pants yesterday for the first time since June. It was hard to stop trying on all the pants in my closet after that.

My husband brought home dinner today and I didn’t have to do a damn thing. This is the first time in our nine years of being together I haven’t had to supervise or direct and eventually jump in and finish cooking. He came home with bags of food, took the baby off my hands for a few minutes while I set everything up and we got to eat while it was still hot and before we had to start putting the kids to bed.

I had my monthly lunch with a friend today, and she gave me a Hanukkah card, and inside she wrote me a (very) short story and gave me a pack of pirate stickers. I love pirates.

And then I had a nice dinner with my mom and we played checkers. She beat me four times, but it was still fun.

It was a crappy day until I found a dress I never wore, it still had the price tags on it.

A few years ago, I bought the dress, a beautiful silk dress with a sort of not-quite-bolero, not quite shawl silky overblouse. We were going to Puerto Rico for a convention and I intended to wear it to the dinner/dance. I decided to wear something else.

When I got home, I forgot about the dress and, when I remembered it again, I looked everywhere for it, in vain. I assumed that I had left it at the hotel in San Juan.

I found the dress tonight, in its zipper bag, in the front closet-- a place where I (almost?) never put anything but coats and jackets. The zipper bag is white, as is the interior of the closet, and it was the last item in the back of the closet near the wall. Needless to say I’m not the most thorough closet cleaner in the world.

Anyhow, I was looking for a scarf tonight and there it was. So, I have a new dress for the dinner tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Aesiron, Sarah Finn could not find a better publicist than you. That was a really cool gift. :slight_smile:

My friends and I went on a (Redundancy Alert) Drunken Pub crawl in Detroit this weekend. Go to FB search for Detroit Santarchy for pics. One of the bars had a buffet table with fresh cut veggies and a big heaping serving dish of mashed potatoes.

They were the only bar, and probably the poorest one, to offer any free food.
I wasn’t even drunk and dove into the taters like a drunken idiot.

The girl next to me at work brought in donuts this morning …score!

(it’s the little victories :D)

One of the attorneys made a variety of really good cookies and left them for us. REALLY good cookies.

While doing some last-minute shopping this afternoon at the “outdoor mall” (as my daughter calls it), I found a $50 bill on the sidewalk. I turned it in to Security.

She gave me a receipt for it and said if no one claimed it within 48 hours, it becomes mine! Honestly I’d rather the owner claim it but $50 would be nice!

We are adopting two little ones in the new year and I had some questions for the Foster Mom so I called her up today. She asked if I wanted to talk to the oldest and I said sure…

…next thing was the sweetest little voice saying, “Hi, Mom!” as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

That high will keep me going for days.

I stayed late at work the other day, solving bureaucratic shit for people much more well-paid than I.
After dark, I stepped alone into the isolated, cold, dark parking lot behind the building.

As soon as I opened the door, completely unannounced, the opening notes of “Thriller” blasted out - LOUD - in full-on brass and drumline style from the darkness up on the hill.
The marching band was practicing.
Felt like the personal fanfare of an ass-kicking champion.

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!
I am the master blaster multitasker!!

Now I KNOW I can come in for some more of your bullshit tomorrow.
:smiley:

It was really slow at work tonight, but I still made over forty bucks in tips, which is pretty close to average. Special thanks to the one dude who gave me almost nine bucks on one medium pizza!

I got married in October, and today my neighbors surprised me with a lovely photo album they put together from their own shots of the wedding. It’s lovely and such a thoughtful gift, and perfect timing since some folks at work were just asking why they hadn’t seen any pictures yet.

Where is the damn smilie for happy tears?

I got a Christmas card from a Doper whom I didn’t even recall had my mailing address. It was really unexpected and put a huge smile on my face.

Today, while arriving at the checkout area in Costco I came to realize I’d probably be waiting a while, as each row was slam-packed with customers and their full carts. I only had 1 item.

After a minute or so of waiting (not trying to get attention or anything) the people in front of me got my attention and kindly asked that I ahead of them. A bit unexpected.

I guess I’ll shop at Costco more often, because this kind of common generosity is a rarity in the typical super market.

I seem to be the go-to person at my work for any coworker who needs a special item either for themselves or as a gift for someone. I am their own personal shopper and everything I bring back to them to show them is golden.

I love working at a Thrift Store.

this just sounds so naughty to me. :eek:

This made me cry a little. So awesome. Love your dad :slight_smile:

Thank you for doing that! I once had a $36 dollars fall out of my pocket and someone turned it in to security. It was the difference between me eating lunch or sucking on ketchup packets. People like you keep people like me from starving!

Your own personal soundtrack. I love it!

I have to say, y’all sharing is one of the nicest things for me. I sit here at my desk and you all make my days so much better.

I was away this weekend when the “big snowstorm” went through (it only dropped about 6-8" here). When I arrived home Sunday night, it was to discover that someone had shoveled my driveway and sidewalks for me. I don’t know who did it, but I thank them.

That is so awesome! I remember waking up one morning, looking out my window and groaning that I would have to shovel - only to see my neighbor using his snow blower on our driveway. I handed that man a big steaming cup of coffee and a hug when he was done.

He went on to snowblow about 4 others if I recall correctly. Later in life when I would have ocassion to shovel, I would try to take a few minutes and help shovel for a neighbor just because of him.