The Bear on Hulu

I’m tempted to order some just to see if I can taste the difference from the supermarket stuff.

And is that what they use for everything or just for things like serving with the bread course? Do they cook with sixty-dollar-a-pound butter?

I’m almost 100% certain you would. At least I can absolutely tell premium cultured butters from the standard Land o’ Lakes and the like and I do prefer it. However whether this stuff is worth the massive cost differential is another question. I strongly suspect the answer is “no” for the vast majority of us. I’ve tried some slightly pricey imported stuff (not anywhere near this level) and it was different…but not vastly better different, just interesting different.

I love that episodes are more character pieces and sometimes even tone poems. We don’t need more episodes of them yelling in the kitchen for 30 minutes. We’ve established that service is stressful. We’ve established that there are dysfuctional relationships at play–until you are ready to move those relationships forward (or regress) in some way or change a dynamic–I don’t need to see more of that. The show is exploring all the characters (while, yes Carm is way less the focus now, I’m okay with it) in what I find to be interesting ways. .

To go into something that I thought was important with how the show operated this season-
Episode 8, where Sugar gives birth…that’s mostly a conversation between 2 people…one of which isn’t a regular but incredibly important to relationships. So, that was a gamble. Sugar went into labor while on a supply run for the restaurant maybe an hour or so before service. The show never felt the need to go back to the restaurant to show us what’s going on there—and that worked because I KNOW what would be happening at the restaurant. I don’t need even two minutes of Richie storming around the kitchen saying “where are the fucking C-folds!” I liked watching and keeping focus on these two characters for this moment.

I think a strength of this season has been showing how grinding it can be to try to maintain such a level of “perfection.” Richie wasn’t made for this and he’s worked so hard but it is tiring… like the scene where he just fumbles his pre-service speech and Syd has to step in.

Can someone help me with working through Sydney’s hesitation to sign the partnership agreement? If I’m understanding correctly–she will start as staff but the longer she stays at the restaurant she will assume more of an ownership stake until full partner. I assume there’s the risk/reward of liability if the restaurant fails or if it becomes a success.
And the alternate deal that the chef from Ever offered is basically the same. So Syndey is having to decide to stay in a fucked up but potentially ‘star-making’ situation or go and most likely be the best chef at a non-noteworthy restaurant."

I still say… too much of the Faks. Like a little was ok…but… they were just filler and the schtick grew old. Although the “concept” of haunting I liked there was too much talk about it.

I think you have it. If she signs, she gives up the other opportunity.

Except that she was waffling about signing it before Shapiro offered her a job.

I assume there is some hesitation with getting more deeply intertwined with the mess that is Carmy and co. Although she doesn’t know the actual terms and conditions as she didn’t open the letter until much later , she probably would know that she is to some extent earning her way into a partnership so the salary isn’t going to be what she could earn as a non partner chef elsewhere. That and she has some integrity and so if she commits she knows she will be giving it her best and so will be having to deal with the craziness for a while, and I don’t think she would say yes and have other people count on her if she is seriously considering walking away.

I believe Adam was offering more money to join him than she would get even if she signed the partnership agreement. And if he maintains Chef Terry’s calm, supportive environment, it might be a better place to work than The Bear.

I think Syd’s hesitation has more to do with Carm constantly overruling her dish designs with no consultation. She’s being invited to be a partner but he’s not treating her like a partner. And I hope that his confrontation with the Joel McHale character helps him realize that he has taken from that experience traits that are toxic. There was a line in the conversation at their table in the final episode that was very on-point to this. OTOH if he’s so emotionally frozen he can’t even text Claire, an apology and explanation to Sydney seems like a lot to ask.

Yes, but she was hesitant from the get go , before she knew about the other offer and way before she knew what was in her offer from Carmy ( or have I may I screwed up the timeline ? )
Not wanting to deal with the crazy and being disrespected would be mostly likely reason to be hesitant at first . The other offer and the continued nonsense storm would just add to the uncertainty. On the flip side she likes the other team members , she knows she can still learn a lot from Carmy and when he says he wants the star, she probably thinks he has a chance to get it so being a partner in that endeavor is worth a lot.

I think you have the time line right. I think what gave her pause was the fallout from Carmy being locked in the fridge. He lost his shit and reverted back to his prior self. All of his growth, all of his confidence in her, has evaporated, and that took her from “Hell yeah!” to “Um… Shit” and wondering when the whole thing will implode.

I loved season 1, thought season 2 was ok, and season 3 was a waste of time.

All the characters are miserable all the time. Nothing happened. The three interpersonal crises we began the season with- Carm and Syd, Carm and Claire, and Carm and Richie- did not get resolved or even moved forward in any way. They spent an excessive amount of time in flashbacks showing us things we’ve already seen/know. An entire episode giving us flashbacks of Carm’s formative, trauma-inducing training? What a waste of time. And, as if that hour wasn’t enough, there’s plenty more in the subsequent episodes.

The Faks and “haunting” was a disjointed and ham-fisted way to introduce some levity and playfulness into a season in which the writers decided none of the main characters would have fun or smile. Ever.

I appreciated the plot with Richie and his daughter and ex wife… it gives us some of the only character development and forward movement in the season.

The delivery episode (Ice Chips) was maybe the only other development, and it was acted brilliantly, but in a show where the heavy hand of the artist showing their craft is painfully obvious at every moment, I couldn’t get away from the suspicion that the writers/director gave us that episode for the sole purpose of garnering an Emmy (much like Carmie’s sole motivation in this season is to get a Michelin star).

There was an attempt to ask some interesting questions about what “legacy” means… what we take with us when we go, and what we leave behind. Unfortunately, other than literally stating the question and a recap of why Carmie (and his family) is the way he is, the show doesn’t allow the characters to discover or make choices about their own legacies. Stay tuned for season 4, I guess?

Again, I loved the first season, but I think season three was just bad TV, with some redeming performances.

…I don’t think its very complicated. All through season 2 people were warning her to be very careful who she goes into business with. And then in season 3 Carmy loses the plot. The Bear is literally burning money. And Carmy is listening to nobody. The restaurant is on a fast-track to oblivion. Syd would be foolish to sign on the dotted line.

And I loved this season as much as the first two. Faks and all.

I’m really struggling and slogging through S3. I’m part way through E4. I watch during my lunch breaks at work so I don’t usually watch a whole episode in one sitting. There hasn’t been one thing to keep my interest so far. I’ll persevere, but I don’t know for how much longer.

I was recently informed that in Tina’s episode, that’s her IRL husband. I’ve only known him as Angel Batista on Dexter, but I thought it was odd to use someone that big for such a small role.

And was that “traumatic” treatment REALLY that bad? I was under the impression that every chef goes through something like that during training. Anthony Bourdain described it in the Kitchen Confidential. It’s a rite of passage to be berated by a hard-ass teacher. How is it that Carmy took it THAT personally? It strains the show’s credibility.

They need a cross-over Special with Gordon Ramsay.

The Bear reminds me of Gordon’s first series Boiling Point. Same idea that he was starting his first restaurant and dealing with all the challenges. The Bear is different in that he’s turning around a chaotic restaurant.

I enjoy show that focus on Restaurants and the difficulty in serving consistently good food.

Most people can cook a good meal. But trying to cook for hundreds of people, day after day is totally different.

…yeah it was. It’s a “rite of passage” that needs to be over. And the amount of harm that it does should not be underestimated. You simply don’t need to be like Chef Winger to get the best out of people. The show is highlighting the absolute worst of the industry. People really need to understand that this stuff is really bad, and I’ve seen Chefs not able to deal with the trauma, and what we see with Carmy is as close to reality as you can get.

Though Chef Terry demonstrated a more cooperative, less aggressive approach that worked in her restaurant. In some respects, Carmy is trying to emulate her, in the way that everyone calls everyone else “chef” and says “please” and “thank you” constantly.

The other issue that presumably will be addressed in the fourth season is Uncle Jimmy pulling his funding. The restaurant is still losing money and that’s in part because Carmy insists on a new menu every night. Perhaps if they switched to a model of a set nightly menu with perhaps a unique special each night, they might be able to turn a profit? Or perhaps The Beef, the sandwich restaurant that they started with and still run on the side, is the one that makes all the profits?

I haven’t watched this season. Last one was meh and been reading here to get a sense of this one is worth it. Sounds like not.

But what is the possible in universe rationale for a new menu every night? It is clearly a stupid thing to do, other than maybe as a gimmick to get attention?

The key is that review which was the cliffhanger. If the review is excellent, they’ll presumably be full for months and have the necessary turns to be profitable. If it’s crappy, they are done.