'The Beatles: An Illustrated Record' Question

You may be familiar with this book by Roy Carr and Tony Tyler. It came out in the 70s; very colorful, the size of an album cover. It was actually one of the first books (that I was aware of) to offer critical analysis of the Beatles and their songbook.

Anyway, it was updated in the early 80s to include Lennon’s death and Wings and whatnot. Anyway, here’s my question: in the entry regarding McCartney’s solo single “Coming Up,” the authors make a comment about the B-side, which was actually a live version of the song recorded in Glasgow. After opining that the song “plods sluggishly,” they remark:

*At the end, Macca, with stunning originality, bellows ‘Are you having a good time?’ **‘It’s Scotland’s oil, hoots, ye ken,’ *** *respond the anguished, and probably pissed, Caledonians. *

OK, I understand they’re implying the Scottish audience was likely drunk (pissed); but what the hell is up with that strange line about the oil? Any Brit dopers out there who would like to translate?

This has been bugging me for a few decades now. :wink:

I’d guess that they were referring to the North Sea oilfields.

OK, but any idea why? And what does “hoots, ye ken” mean?

I don’t speak Scottish. :smiley:

It’s Scotland’s oil referred to the controversy surrounding the U.K.'s exploitation of the North Sea oil; it was very much in the news in 1979.

“Hoots” is AFAIK a Scottish exclamation that probably defies translation; “ye ken” means “you know.”

Thanks!