The big Bang Theory, Season 8, Episode 3 (September 29, 2014) -- "The First Pitch Insufficiency"

I’m available, any time! :cool:

The “vanity card” is that little blurb from the producer that’s briefly shown at the end of the closing credits. You can either Google them or freeze-frame them if you watch the shows on line.

In this episode, the Vanity Card gave some insight on why they did the scene with Wolowitz going through Ed Norton gyrations before he pitched.

http://www.chucklorre.com/index-bbt.php?p=462

I wonder if every TBBT thread is going to be a buzzkill.

Yes indeed. But, then again … anything would have been much funnier because there was no funny contained anywhere in this scene or anywhere in this episode. How sad.

That has just started this season. There is something wrong with this season. That’s for sure.

I just so much want to have the old Penny back again. We all loved and knew her. She was da bomb!

What happened to you Penny? Did the producers force you to do this shtick somehow? You poor girl.

I was wondering if they fired the writers in order to cover the new salaries. They’re missing chance after chance to throw in some funny; every time they set it up…nothing.

The Howard/Penny incompatibility is just becoming painful.

There really must be something going on with the writers. The mean-spiritedness isn’t even “smart” and just falls flat. When Raj becomes the least irritating character to watch, there’s something wrong. If they can’t get a handle on the leads right now, I agree—develop Stuarts storyline. Bring on Emily. Play off them for awhile.

I guess I’m the only person in the world who thought Howard forgetting to program the Rover to run faster than a crawl was an appropriate punchline.

This is the same Howard, after all, who drove a Rover into a Martian ditch.

It would have been, if it had been a setup for Bernie to come rushing in and save his ass.

I wonder if Bernie can really throw a baseball? IIRC, they never showed her throwing a ball.

Yeah, the best punchline for the gym scene would have been Bernadette gettinmg frustrated, throwing the ball, and then taking out a light or something.

I don’t watch bad shows on purpose. I want to like the show but this season’s three episodes have been weak.

I’ve been saying for awhile now that I really dislike how the show is just about everyone being mean to each other, and that none of the relationships make any sense. Sadly, it seems the producers have doubled down on that, instead of actually going back to having the characters enjoy each others’ company and not be shown as buffoons every episode.

I’m glad. At worst, those jokes would be actively mocking geeky stuff, and at best, it would just be a throwaway comment of the “haha, I’ve heard of that reference!” sort as opposed to any actual humor.

:smack: Brain fart. That should be Leonard/Penny. But does it even matter?

The actress or the character? On the show, in that episode, they said she played softball at some point in the past (I think they specified when, I just don’t recall, HS or college maybe). I don’t think it was established before this episode but they just needed someone to give him some tips to get it within 5 or 10 feet of the plate.
I don’t think we actually saw him throw it either. But obviously they couldn’t since all those pitches that came into Bernie’s scene were done for comedic value.

I’ve seen such comments for a while in TBBT threads, and for the most part I’ve found them eyeroll-worthy. That’s part of the reason I specifically pointed out the repeat that aired right after this week’s episode, which showed them all enjoying and being nice to each other, from last season.

What I thought was really funny was that most of Howard’s pitches in the gym scene were actually good enough for what you’d expect from a ceremonial first pitch.

They were exaggerated, but yeah, those pitches are normally pretty far off or short by 15 feet.

The actress (Melissa Rauch). and Yes, the character said she played softball when she was younger.

I think if Melissa had a decent arm, that the punchline would have been different than just a Mars Rover creeping at snail-like speed.

If you can’t throw, I am not sure an actor can fake it. I played baseball all throughout childhood but when I try to throw left handed, I am a total klutz. I couldn’t fake it if I tried.

I did enjoy the way she mocked the way Howard runs. And yes, I was waiting for him to address the ball. :slight_smile:

The show could use more physical humor like that.

there was an earlier episode where when dating that she got mad at kids and mentioned her duties of taking care of her siblings. so i think she has shown that before.