The biggest games in terms of disk space

As posted in the free games thread, ARK is currently free on Steam along with half a dozen DLCs for it. Steam tells me if I download the full game and all six DLCs, I need 266 GB of disk space.

I thought 130-ish for Halo: The Master Chief Collection was excessive, but good lord, 266?!

What other huge games are there out there? Is ARK the biggest? (Pretty sure there are more DLCs to make it even bigger.)

I haven’t found anything on the level of ARK. It’s not exactly well-optimized for storage space, includes MASSIVE maps (newest one is ~400 km2, from my reading), with multiple levels and caves. I can’t think of any open-world survival games with that magnitude of scope for base assets.

Just saw an ad for ARK 2. Wonder how big that will balloon to?

I remember about 25 to 30 years ago when I added a 600 MB drive to my computer to bring the total storage up to 1 GB. I thought that I’d never be able to fill it up… My current computer has over 10 TB of storage…

The biggest game I’d had on my computer for a long time was Hitman (2016) and Hitman 2, at about 150GB each. Through an impressive feat of compression, Hitman 3, plus all of the content from the previous two games, was whittled down to under 70GB fully installed.

MS Flight Simulator displays only a few GB on Steam, but the actual game files after full download are almost 130GB.

I don’t own it but I hear DCS World can top 250GB.

How about the largest number of floppies? I had some limited edition of Harpoon that came on ~20 3½s, at least one of which was defective so I never got to play the thing.

Hopefully they make their map files more efficient and the maps actually take less room on the hard drive.

I can still vividly remember, while buying a new PC at Staples back in the '90s, the salesman describing the 1 gig hard drive, and telling me I’d “never live long enough to fill it up.” :grinning:

I remember when “640K ought to be enough [RAM] for anybody.” :wink:

(usually attributed to Bill Gates, but it’s always been questionable whether or not that’s an actual quote from anybody)

I’ll have to double check when I get home but my Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War on PS5 with all updates and DLCs is over 250GBs.

Yeah, turns out call of duty is pretty fucking big. I just saw somebody call out Warzone in a discussion over an 8 TB M.2 drive. (‘You could actually install Warzone!’)

I dug up a cite:

return to zork had somewhere between 30 and 40 floppies
and there was a defect in some of them because when you bought a cd rom drive (lol 4X the fastest in 1994)
circuit city would give you the cd version if you returned it

it would either be the sims 4 or someone posted a train sim game that had so many route pack expansions it would be around 10 grand for the entire game

If you download Sim Universe it would be wise to take the Magellan Cloud storage option. :upside_down_face:

It wasn’t that high, it was only 12 as I recall (I had the CD-ROM version). However, the floppy disks lacked the video scenes, apparently.

(It’s possible they might have released a later version on floppy with the video intact, which might explain the 30-40 floppies.)