The Color of Crime

Since 1972, the U.S. Department of Justice has conducted a National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) to determine the frequency of certain crimes. One category is interracial crimes. Its most recent publication (1997), “Criminal Victimization in the U.S.,” reports on data collected in 1994. In that year, there were about 1,700,000 interracial crimes, of which 1,276,030 involved whites and blacks. In 90 percent of the cases, a white was the victim and a black was the perpetrator, while in 10 percent of the cases it was the reverse.

Another finding of the NCVS report is that of the 2,025,464 violent crimes committed by blacks in 1994, 1,140,670 were against whites – that’s slightly over 56 percent. Whites committed 5,114,692 violent crimes; 135,360, or 2.6 percent were against blacks.

In 1997, there were 2,336 whites charged with
anti-black crimes and 718 blacks charged with
anti-white crimes, so-called hate crimes. Although the absolute number of white offenders was larger, the black rate per 100,000 of the population was greater, making blacks twice as likely to commit hate crimes.

So, I’m a “racist”, right? Damn right, and a mad one, too.

Discriminating people discriminate

[Moderator Hat: ON]

Is there a debate here, or just a rant?

David B, SDMB Great Debates Moderator

[Moderator Hat: OFF]

[Member Hat: ON]

Well, it quacks like a rant.

Libertarian, SDMB Great Debates Member

[Member Hat: OFF]

“It is lucky for rulers that men do not think.” — Adolf Hitler

This one seems perfect for the BBQ pit, since the OP’s only intention seems to be defending himself against charges of racism, and not to actually debate the reasons that the statistics are slanted.

Never attribute to an -ism anything more easily explained by common, human stupidity.

Captain Ed, I’ve been trying to tell these people the same thing!

Unfortunately, this place is too “politically correct” to get meaningful dialogue (they’ll call you are racist for just bringing up those points). They’ll make all these excuses for blacks, but the same things won’t apply to whites.

Blacks commit crimes against whites because they are poor. Redneck commit crimes against blacks because they are racist. Um, excuse me, aren’t rednecks poor, too?

It’s almost like Jesse Jackson in Decatur: We’ll ignore the school absenteeism, gang involvement, and violent fight because these poor innocent blacks are being railroaded.

Folks, you might not like what Ed says but he has a right to say it. He has not said anything overtly racist yet.

Ed, I think the reason you see more black on white crime is just because we are, in most cases, the “haves” and they are the “have nots,” in most cases. I think criminals go where the money is. As Willy Sutton said, when asked why he robbed banks, " because that’s where the money is"

Isn’t black on black crime a big problem?

Things are not what they seem to be; nor are they otherwise.
[lankavatara Sutra]

Man, look at those disparate crime rates. Obviously, Whitey’s still letting his own get off scott free, while he just charges every black man he sees with a crime. You’re right, Captain Ed, something’s got to be done to stop the entrenched white power structure. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

“Are you frightened of snakes?”
“Only if they dress up as werewolves.”
–Preacher

Imagine that this public message board isn’t a place for people to come and lecture, but rather a place for debate. Of course, people like you and Capt. Ed don’t want to debate you want to put yourself up on a pedestal and provide a lecture to all the ignorant masses who don’t know about all the terrible things done against poor, innocent white folk. Well, bully for you, but if you can’t understand why such a preaching lecture would fall on deaf and unamused ears that is your problem. Don’t blame the student, blame the teacher.

“Glitch … Window, large icons.” - Bob the Guardian

[Moderator Hat: ON]

Since Captain Ed replied in the other thread and didn’t answer my question there about whether it was a debate or a rant, and since I see no evidence of it being a debate here, to the Pit it goes. (Probably should have just done so right off the bat, in hindsight.)

David B, SDMB Great Debates Moderator

[Moderator Hat: OFF]

KM2:

Umm. . . Wrong point, kiddo. The point that was made in an earlier thread was that there are more white targets than black targets for crimes such as muggings. No one claimed that blacks commit more crimes against whites simply because blacks are poor.

Poverty is a big indicator for crime, but it is in no way the only indicator for crime. Confined in cities (where close proximity is also an indicator for crime–note the statements about crime among Irish and Italian immigrants in an earlier thread), there will be more blacks committing crimes. “Rednecks” (your term, not mine) do not tend to live in concentrated ghettoes and so one very large indicator for crime is removed from their population.

KM2, you have tried to plead your case in several threads. You grab random facts and apply meaning to them and neglect to look at the whole picture. This is Great Debates. You need to be able to put together a coherent argument, not some misplaced conjecture.

Captain Ed, you are now spamming this board with factoids from which you have been unable (apparently) to draw a genuine conclusion. Please pick one of your posts and put forth an actual discussion point and let the rest of your spam die. This is silly.

Tom~