The Curse of Roseanne?

Granted, the Sitcom Roseanne was a great show, but was it cursed?

Most if not all the stars of the show has not found success in other projects since the show ended, and many notables who had cameo appearances have since died.

Was this show cursed?

No curse, that I can see. Most of the regulars are still working and one in particular – George Clooney – is doing quite well.

Which regulars have died, besides Glenn Quinn?

Sarah Chalke has 7 seasons of Scrubs under her belt. Not exactly cursed.

John Goodman seems to be getting regular work. Laurie Metcalf doesn’t have an entire series under her belt, but she’s getting regular work as a guest star. Probably enough work to make a living. Sarah Gilbert has been on ER, Strong Medicine, 24, Twins, and other things. I guess you could say the show cursed Michael Fishman, but he was A)ugly and B)a bad actor, so he probably cursed himself there.

Glenn Quinn died, but the poor man had issues for a long time. Shelley Winters died but she was 86 years old, so I doubt that had anything to do with a “curse” from being in 10 episodes of Roseanne…

John Goodman has kept busy enough.
I’m mildly surprised to see that Sara Gilbert’s been as busy as she has sionce I haven’t seen nor heard of her since Roseanne.
Michael Fishman seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

John Goodman just won an Emmy last night. Bad thread timing.

Humph…I’m really out of touch…ain’t I? :smack:

Lessee…Shelley Winters, dead.
Tiny Tim, dead.
Bob Denver, dead.

Fred Thompson, Former Tennesee Senator and current Presidential Candidate, replaced George Clooney as Roseanne’s supervisor at the Wellman Plastic Factory.

Things don’t look good for the guy.

Johnny Galecki’s (David) new sitcom “The Big Bang Theory” starts in a couple weeks and looks to be pretty funny.

…knock on wood. :stuck_out_tongue:

Huh? The Emmy awards aren’t aired until next week.

The creative branches (“technical” and craft awards) always announce their winners a week early. Here’s a thread on it. This always includes the Guest Actor/Actress for Drama/Comedy Series. Goodman won for his stint on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. This was his 10th nomination (7 for Roseanne) but first win.

As shows go, I don’t see that Roseanne’s cast is doing any worse than any other. John Goodman has had a successful career, Roseanne Barr’s counting her money, Laurie Metcalfe has done this and that, Sara Gilbert’s kept busy, and the striking example of Sarah “Second Becky” Chalke has already been pointed out.

Sere, some guest stars have died, but they were all old. Old people die.

As shows go, I don’t see that Roseanne’s cast is doing any worse than any other. John Goodman has had a successful career, Roseanne Barr’s counting her money, Laurie Metcalfe has done this and that, Sara Gilbert’s kept busy, and the striking example of Sarah “Second Becky” Chalke has already been pointed out.

Sere, some guest stars have died, but they were all old. Old people die.

But what about DJ, huh? When’s the last time you saw that kid do anything? That loser! :wink:

Actually, the Roseanne cast seems to have done better than other folks from other shows. Except for Roseanne herself. I haven’t seen her lately.

This thread reminds me, though, of television stars who get some fame (or at least, become well-known faces) and then a several years later start popping up in low-budget commercials. I just saw the David Leisure, who played the annoying neighbor on Empty Nest on a lame commercial for a legal firm. I had to do a double-take to make sure that was him. Then there’s Janet Hubert-Whitten, who played the first Vivian (the better one, IMHO) on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Shortly after she quit the show, she was on an aspirin commerical. I haven’t seen her since.

Jill Marie Jones, of Toni Childs fame from Girlfriends, was last seen on a Baily’s Irish creme commerical (or at least, it was some kind of alcholic beverage). I was so pissed when I saw her, because she’s a fine actress (in both looks and acting chops). It seems like such a waste.

So when you see Roseanne on a commericial, not as a spokesperson but as just another low-paid actor pushing hemorroid cream, then you can talk about curses.

I noticed her in that commercial too. It seemed odd to me, because she was basically an extra in the commericial. I don’t watch Girlfriends, but I agree that she is very beautiful. If she’s got some acting skills to boot, why be an extra in a commercial?

I hope it isn’t because she’s type-casted.

I was watching a show about the cast of Roseanne (I can’t remember what channel, but you can make a few reasonable guesses), and they talked about what happened to Michael Fishman.

After Roseanne, he quit show business, went to school, did normal teenager stuff. I think he went to college, not sure. He’s married with a kid or two, I don’t know what he does for a living, but he had good parents that handled his Roseanne earnings well and he seems to be doing fine. He’s not rolling in money, but they have a nice enough house and everyone looks healthy.

Not to mention the fact we’re talking about a show that premiered nearly 20 years ago.

Ned Beatty, Martin Mull and Morgan Fairchilde are all still around. Natalie West (played Roseanne’s friend Crystal, later Dan’s stepmother) hasn’t gotten much work, but is still kicking.

I’d say the cast of Roseanne is doing a lot better than the cast of, say, The Cosby Show.

I haven’t seen Tempestt (who played Vanessa), the girl who made Sondra, or Lisa Bonet in anything recently. But as far as the immediate family goes, I’ve seen all of the other characters in stuff. Well, except for Cosby. He seems more comfortable ranting in front of the cameras than actually doing anything funny.